shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else suffering from allergies right now?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in NYC and I was fine until I got home from work yesterday and wham I got knocked off my feet by a severe allergy attack. Sneezing, snuffling and trouble breathing. I took loratidine last night and this AM since I didn''t notice any improvement I took fexofenadine. I know it isn''t a cold and I do have allergies but never like this. I cannot remember if I suffered from allergies last spring but certainly I would remember if they were bad.

Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with this issue right now and if so what do you do for relief?

Thanks!

Melissa

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh, yes! It started in the last week or so. I can only take Claritin (loratidine) right now according to the doc, and I hate it. It just doesn''t work for me and I prefer Zyrtec, but can''t take it.

I''m hoping the Claritin will at least hold the major issues at bay so I don''t need to go to the "D".

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a definite yes. i do periodic nasal irrigation with a neti pot and take herbs. i gave up on pharmaceuticals for this years ago and i don''t suffer as much. bear in mind i have allergies all year long but its worse at certain times of the year. i no longer get upper respiratory infections every 6 weeks as i used to when on traditional allergy meds.

mz

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your replies HH and MZ.

I just found relief in the A/C while I was on the treadmill so that''s something. It''s going to be an expensive spring if I need to keep the A/C on all the time.

I will definitely look into the nettie pot mz thanks! What herbs do you find help you with your seasonal allergies?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, have you tried a humidifier? I find it helps a lot with congestion when I wake up if I''ve had it on all night.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Since starting allergy shots last spring, I''ve had one of the best springs ever. Allergy shots really changed my life.

The neti pot too. I don''t use it every day, but I think it''s helped keep off antiobiotics for the entire last year.

My heart goes out to all of you allergy sufferers! My allergies were horrible in CA last year - I had forgotten how bad it can be.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
neti pot scares me. I''ve heard great things about it, but I hate having water in/up my nose!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I have terrible allergies, but my indoor and pet allergies are worse than my outdoor allergies, and mine are actually at their worst during the winter. I finally found a new dr and went, and while there addressed my allergies, so now I''m on Nasonex (great for the nasal symptoms!) with claritin at night and loratidine as needed. Seems to be helping! If loratidine isn''t working, you could ask your dr. about something like zyrtec or xyzal.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
ME ME ME!!
14.gif

I'm in San Francisco and usually since we're coastal, my seasonal allergies aren't that bad...but the past couple of days have been miserable. I've been taking the Costco (Kirkland) brand allergy pills since I've become immune to all the prescription brands and those have been working pretty well so far. I'm also dittoing Elrohwen on the allergy shots. I had one many years ago when I lived in an agricultural valley (hello puffy eyes all year round!) and it was a life saver! I could function like a normal person during the spring.

Good luck Missy! I hope you find something that works soon!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sabine-quick question, but why are you taking both loratidine and Claritin? They''re the same drug (loratidine is the generic of Claritin). Do you mean Claritin D?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2010 12:07:54 PM
Author: elrohwen
Since starting allergy shots last spring, I''ve had one of the best springs ever. Allergy shots really changed my life.

The neti pot too. I don''t use it every day, but I think it''s helped keep off antiobiotics for the entire last year.

My heart goes out to all of you allergy sufferers! My allergies were horrible in CA last year - I had forgotten how bad it can be.

Thanks so much Elrohwen. That''s a great suggestion. My husband gets allergy shots and it has helped him loads too. He gets it mainly for our cats but I tested allergic to everything when I went to his allergist a few years ago. Since I was never majorly bothered by my allergies (at least nothing drugs couldn''t help) I never considered getting the shots. But now it does seem prudent. Thanks for reminding me of this option.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sabine. I am unbable to tolerate Zyrtec as it gives me this weird feeling in my throat for some reason but I will definitely look into xyzal. I never heard of it before.

Good suggestion HH. We do have a humidifier but actually never used it LOL. I insisted on buying it autumn of 2008 but was too lazy to set it up and use it. Maybe it's time to get it out. I never realized that could help with allergies. I got it because the air is so dry in the winter I thought it could help my skin.

Thanks for your good wishes MonkeyPants. I appreciate it!
I have the Costco allergy pills too. Is yours loratidine? Mine is.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 5:08:44 PM
Author: missy
Thanks Sabine. I am unbable to tolerate Zyrtec as it gives me this weird feeling in my throat for some reason but I will definitely look into xyzal. I never heard of it before.

Good suggestion HH. We do have a humidifier but actually never used it LOL. I insisted on buying it autumn of 2008 but was too lazy to set it up and use it. Maybe it's time to get it out. I never realized that could help with allergies. I got it because the air is so dry in the winter I thought it could help my skin.

Thanks for your good wishes MonkeyPants. I appreciate it!

I have the Costco allergy pills too. Is yours loratidine? Mine is.

My Costco pills are cetirizine (I *think* the generic of Zyrtec). "Kirland Signature Aller-tec" to be specific. Sadly I don't think loratidine works for me anymore
15.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I think so. I feel stuffy and sneezy and have a headache. I have had allergies all my life and thankfully they have gotten better and better as I get older so now I just suffer with the symptoms becaues they could always be worse.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 5:03:37 PM

Thanks so much Elrohwen. That''s a great suggestion. My husband gets allergy shots and it has helped him loads too. He gets it mainly for our cats but I tested allergic to everything when I went to his allergist a few years ago. Since I was never majorly bothered by my allergies (at least nothing drugs couldn''t help) I never considered getting the shots. But now it does seem prudent. Thanks for reminding me of this option.
I was on them as a teenager and I think it took 1.5 years to really be effective. But at that point I was allergy free! This time around they starting working within 6 months. Now a year later, I have zero allergy symptoms. Though, strangely enough, my allergies were kind of bad in San Francisco and the surrounding area. I think the plants are slightly different or something, I really don''t know! They might test for different things depending on what area you live in.

My biggest problem is getting colds, then sinus infections. Without allergies as an issue, I don''t tend to get the sinus infections. So it''s kind of weird, but I really get the shots to avoid the infections - avoiding seasonal allergies is a nice bonus!

I''m staying with 3 cats in a few weeks so I''ll really put my shots to the test.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
many years ago i did the allergy shots and it did help.....but it took awhile but was long lasting. additionally, try using local wildflower honey....workes like the shots. the honey you buy should not be the same color from year to year and/or season to season as the honey from spring is definitely different than that from fall. buy from a local honey person to insure quality and that your getting local wildflower immunity. dry grasses can be as bad or worse than spring flowering plants for allergies.

mz

ps i''m in the santa cruz mountains here in california. i''m also allergic to mold and mildew yet i live in the redwood forest. i''m allergic to cats and yet i have 5 indoor cats. gettiing rid of carpeting will reduce allergies. no matter how often you vaccuum or how often you clean those carpets, its the pad underneath that collects all the allergens. if you''re not into using a neti pot, do a steam instead with some tree tree oil or eucalyptus oil...sparingly...with some thyme and/or lavender...also sparingly....to open up those nasal passages. its good for your complexion, too.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. I just suffer though, no medicine.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have allergies, but I''ve heard quite a few complaints lately from clients - my husband often suffers from allergies - I feel so badly for all you sufferers!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s weird because my allergies seemed OK yesterday when we were cycling at the jersey shore but back in NYC now they hit me again.
I guess the air must be cleaner by the ocean.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
air blowing in from off the water is cleaner....less pollen, allergens. air blowing over land picks up those said allergens. the dry hills of the fall months can be hell for allergy sufferers in the sf bay area.

air near the coast is usually more moist....easier on the nasal passages. some studies are now indicating that sf doesn''t get fog like it used to which is effecting the redwood trees in golden gate park.....which means that the air is not moist enough for them [a source of water for redwoods] which also means allergy sufferers may suffer more due to the lack of that fog/air moisture.

mz

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 12:55:18 PM
Author: movie zombie
many years ago i did the allergy shots and it did help.....but it took awhile but was long lasting. additionally, try using local wildflower honey....workes like the shots. the honey you buy should not be the same color from year to year and/or season to season as the honey from spring is definitely different than that from fall. buy from a local honey person to insure quality and that your getting local wildflower immunity. dry grasses can be as bad or worse than spring flowering plants for allergies.

mz

ps i'm in the santa cruz mountains here in california. i'm also allergic to mold and mildew yet i live in the redwood forest. i'm allergic to cats and yet i have 5 indoor cats. gettiing rid of carpeting will reduce allergies. no matter how often you vaccuum or how often you clean those carpets, its the pad underneath that collects all the allergens. if you're not into using a neti pot, do a steam instead with some tree tree oil or eucalyptus oil...sparingly...with some thyme and/or lavender...also sparingly....to open up those nasal passages. its good for your complexion, too.

Thanks for the tip about honey. A few people I know actually use it topically on their face (and hair)
6.gif

for their seb derm and it really calms their face and makes their complexion so smooth
1.gif

They use raw and unprocessed (unheated) honey.

How would I take it for allergies? I mean, would I use raw unprocessed honey and how much should I ingest?

We do have all wood floors and only 1 area rug as I prefer the look anyway and it is important for allergy control as we also have indoor cats (4!)

Thanks for all the good tips mz!!
36.gif

ps I love the redwood forest! So beautiful there!!
My aunt and uncle used to live in Carmel and I just love that whole area!
35.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 12:27:26 PM
Date: 3/19/2010 5:03:37 PM

I was on them as a teenager and I think it took 1.5 years to really be effective. But at that point I was allergy free! This time around they starting working within 6 months. Now a year later, I have zero allergy symptoms. Though, strangely enough, my allergies were kind of bad in San Francisco and the surrounding area. I think the plants are slightly different or something, I really don''t know! They might test for different things depending on what area you live in.

My biggest problem is getting colds, then sinus infections. Without allergies as an issue, I don''t tend to get the sinus infections. So it''s kind of weird, but I really get the shots to avoid the infections - avoiding seasonal allergies is a nice bonus!

I''m staying with 3 cats in a few weeks so I''ll really put my shots to the test.

Good luck with the cats Elrohwen!!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 2:43:37 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Sabine-quick question, but why are you taking both loratidine and Claritin? They''re the same drug (loratidine is the generic of Claritin). Do you mean Claritin D?

Whoops, I meant I''m taking Singulair now every night and Claritin as needed.

The Singulair was actually working great and I haven''t needed Claritin since I started it, but I''ve been having sleeping issues, and I''m wondering if it might be a side effect, so I''m going to stop it for a few nights and see what happens.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy, i use the honey in my morning tea........

i find that honey actually burns my face....probably the allergy thing on physical contact!

but taking it medicinally in tea isn''t a problem. i use about 1 teaspoon a day, some days more.....but i''ve been doing this for years now and think i''ve really boosted my tolerance. i also take some things for my immune system to boost it periodically. do some research re astralagus, a chinese herb. i take it starting in july through about january to build my immunity in advance of flu season. you can buy it and put in soups but i just take it in capsul form.

i actually had access to poison oak honey at one time and it really helped with that problem! so did eating meat from pigs that had grazed on poison oak.......

yes, unheated and/or unprocessed honey is going to give the best results. the idea is to build immunity...just like with the shots.

there are days here when the firs are dropping whatever their bloom product is and i just cannot be outside. windiy days are also worse for me as it puts things in the air. i try to time working in the garden after its had time to dry up some in the winter/spring due to mold/mildew allergies.

living actually in mountain view was as bad or worse in some ways.....the fall meant dry grasses in the air and they were killing my sinuses.

mz

ps no more trips to carmel? the trip from sf to carmel via highway 1 is exquisite....but so is taking 280 to 92 to 35 to 9 to 1 and then on down......actually that in reverse is how i go to sf.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 12:36:59 PM
Author: movie zombie
missy, i use the honey in my morning tea........

i find that honey actually burns my face....probably the allergy thing on physical contact!

but taking it medicinally in tea isn''t a problem. i use about 1 teaspoon a day, some days more.....but i''ve been doing this for years now and think i''ve really boosted my tolerance. i also take some things for my immune system to boost it periodically. do some research re astralagus, a chinese herb. i take it starting in july through about january to build my immunity in advance of flu season. you can buy it and put in soups but i just take it in capsul form.

i actually had access to poison oak honey at one time and it really helped with that problem! so did eating meat from pigs that had grazed on poison oak.......

yes, unheated and/or unprocessed honey is going to give the best results. the idea is to build immunity...just like with the shots.

there are days here when the firs are dropping whatever their bloom product is and i just cannot be outside. windiy days are also worse for me as it puts things in the air. i try to time working in the garden after its had time to dry up some in the winter/spring due to mold/mildew allergies.

living actually in mountain view was as bad or worse in some ways.....the fall meant dry grasses in the air and they were killing my sinuses.

mz

ps no more trips to carmel? the trip from sf to carmel via highway 1 is exquisite....but so is taking 280 to 92 to 35 to 9 to 1 and then on down......actually that in reverse is how i go to sf.

OMG just the thought of this makes me start to itch. I hate PI/PS/PO!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
hudson, i'm so allergic to poison oak i'm up to try almost anything......and it worked! again, i think its the small amount ingested over time that helps build a resistance. however, i've lost my connection for the honey and am actually now very very very nervous when walking on our property. i know what the plant looks like all 4 seasons and i'm even allergic when its dormant....sigh. all it takes is a very hot day and being close to the plant.....the oils are aromatic, double sigh.

i'm too chicken to try the "chew a tiny bit of the leaf when it first buds out" technique that many adhere to in this area........i can't even begin to imagine that one going wrong!

mz

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks mz!
I will definitely try the honey in the tea. Sounds good
1.gif

And re Carmel and SF, I would love to go back to that area. It's so beautiful and if our family wasn't on the east coast I could see us living there as that is the perfect weather IMO.

Thanks again for all your advice and I hope your allergies don't give you any problems this season!
35.gif

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Allergies are killing us right now. We are miserable. It doesn''t help that it was warm on Wednesday, raining on Thursday (day) and snowing Thursday (night).
8.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2010 8:25:12 PM
Author: Sparkles&Glitter
Allergies are killing us right now. We are miserable. It doesn''t help that it was warm on Wednesday, raining on Thursday (day) and snowing Thursday (night).
8.gif

I''m so sorry to hear that Sparkles&Glitter
7.gif

I hope you and your family will be getting relief from your allergies or at least feeling better real soon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results