shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else have an opinion on this big diamond, please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Christy42

Shiny_Rock

Princess cuts are going to be the death of me but I love them! PLease give me your valuable advice. What do you think of this one? Here are the stats:

2.51 Carats
depth: 64.8%
Table: 74%
P&S VG, VG
Clarity: VS2
Color: F
Culet:none
Girdle: Ex thin to medium
Meas: 7.93 x 7.78 x 5.04

Thanks!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
An extremely thin girdle is not good . . . might lead to chipping.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Christy,

I am not an expert, but I feel the same as Phoenixgirl. The ''extremely thin'' girdle is cause for alarm on a Princess cut, especially if it is extremely thin around the pointed corners as they may be more susceptible to breaking.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's big allright... and you surely left one or two grades for safety between this one and any shade of color or visible inclusions
2.gif

I wish there was some information on brilliance - otherwise what's the good of that cut anyway ?

If you fall in love with this one, it may be a good idea to have the seller set it (if anyone else sets it and the thin girdle gets chipped, tere's more hassle to cover the damage). Afterwars... it will be insured anyway.

Princess cuts are not cut to optimmize optics (not often that is) - so if this is one happy exception there might not be too many to choose from.

Just IMO, as usual
34.gif

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
I was worried about that girdle too. It is already insured, the seller is going to mount it and I can still return it or trade in. I did in fact have a hard time finding a stone that "looked" like it was the size it was supposed to be. Their depth is usually so dramatic that the stone doesn''t face up well. It is actually a beautiful stone and I am going to make it a point to discuss this with them on Tuesday( about the girdle).

Thanks for your input. I wish princess cuts had more established standards. After hovering around here, I''ve learned that most people want the depth and table to be close in % or to have the table smaller. It is hard to find, but I like the table to be a little larger so it faces up but still has good optics. What do you think?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2005 4:12:36 PM
Author: Christy42
I was worried about that girdle too. It is already insured, the seller is going to mount it and I can still return it or trade in. I did in fact have a hard time finding a stone that ''looked'' like it was the size it was supposed to be. Their depth is usually so dramatic that the stone doesn''t face up well. It is actually a beautiful stone and I am going to make it a point to discuss this with them on Tuesday( about the girdle).

Thanks for your input. I wish princess cuts had more established standards. After hovering around here, I''ve learned that most people want the depth and table to be close in % or to have the table smaller. It is hard to find, but I like the table to be a little larger so it faces up but still has good optics. What do you think?

Christy

Here are the considerations..

As the others wrote, how big an area and its location here is the issue in part.

The major labs don''t provide this information. ( I sure wish they would).

The question also to be considered is WHY does it have an extremely thin girdle? Since princesses many times are cut for weight retention from the rough stone, probably the reason is that the cutter wanted to maximize the legth or width of the stone. In the area where it is thin, there wasn''t enough diamond to polish it down to make it thicker without polishing off the rest of that plane so it was even. Then if I remember the stone weighs 2.51 carats. By polishing down that edge, he might lose say 0.02 carats which would make the stone weight less that 2.50 and thus reduce the per carat price.

Since you like the stone except for its ex thin girdle, then a possibility may be to repolish that section of the stone, making it a little thicker than it currently is. Again, it depends on where and how large the ex thin is. If its a small portion of the stone, it might pay to consider repolishing, if the ex thin area is in a larger area, then a prediction of weight loss and how much to polish off before affecting the crown facets needs to be considered.

When you have a lemon you make lemonade... Don''t rule out the stone, discuss your concerns with the seller, and he or perhaps a cutter can make it acceptable for you. Who should analyze this is probably a cutter,which your jeweler should know one. Ask what the finished weight would be, and if it will remain above the 2.50 weight, then that should help you in deciding about this stone.

This advice is provided to you with the limitation of me not seeing it. Visual examination may reveal other concerns not taken into consideration with this advice.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results