shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone change from Fancy to Round when you upgraded???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
If you transitioned from a fancy (marquise, pear,emerald, etc.) to a round when you got a new set or er, were you happy or disappointed in the long run??? Often fancies look larger for their size but definatlely have less brillance than the ideal cut round. If you did this change were you happy with the change and would you do it again?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure I''m your target audience. One, I''m a guy. Two, I went from a band with baguettes to a band with round. The baguette and platinum band was 1.75 carat of nearly flawless stones. It didn''t do much for me. It seemed like ice, but had little fire. The stones I went to are (still set in platinum) a center stone of 1.12 carat round with two side stones of 1/3 carat each. I am considerably happier with the round over the baguettes.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
My original engagement ring, bought many years ago, was a pear shape. The point broke off which is not an uncommon occurrence in some pears, marquise or emeralds. I traded it in for another pear shape since the original stone, cut down would have been much smaller and poorly shaped. My second pear shaped ring is a little under 3 carats and it looks huge and attractive although it is not a great color. We knew nothing about diamonds then and I just picked the biggest pear I could find that was an attractive shape and looked pretty.

My husband decided to get me an upgrade about two years ago and he insisted that I get a round stone with no side stones. I am going to have a pendant made from my pear shaped ring.
He was generous about the size and budget because we have been married many years and can afford more now. My round stone is very brilliant and beautiful and my husband never liked the pear shape. I do not know why since he did not have to wear it. The round stone, over a carat larger and better color and cut, does not look that much bigger than the pear. I do not know how to transfer pictures but they are both posted under my name and you can make the comparison if you look there or if someone would be kind enough to post them here.

I really cannot compare it to the pear shaped stone because I do not know much about the cut of the pear although the shape is pretty and i always got a lot of compliments when I wore it. When we bought it, cut was not a factor that was mentioned.

I love my round stone. It has a lot more life than the pear shape. However pear shaped and marquise shape tend to look larger and are less costly than round stones of the same carat weight. I would say it depends upon size and appearance. If you want maximum size appearance for your money, a pear shape is very beautiful. You just have to be careful to have it placed in a setting that will protect the point. The same is true with a marquise.

I think emeral cuts look smaller and if you decide not to get a round stone,I would try to find a very well proportioned pear or marquise--not too squat or too long and thin.

If you look carefuly, I am sure you will find a stone that will make you happy no matter which shape you choose. In a stone under about 1.25 I would definitely go with a marquise or pear if you want to maximize the size.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
i did the reverse & went from round to an oval. I prefer the more flattering ''fit'' of longer fancies(rectangular shapes, ovals, & pears) but my roundbrill out-twinkleblingflashes the oval even when it''s not perfectly clean.

even so, i don''t regret skipping the round this time since they''re pretty zzzzzzzz(dull) on my hand(shapewise).
in addition to the better ''fit'', my oval gives a more subtle performance that i prefer. Even with their superior dazzle factor, i don''t think i''ll ever go back to a round. My next choices would be: rect. cushion, emerald cut, or a larger oval.

Petunia

Rough_Rock
My first e-ring was a .42 ct marquise shaped stone. I wore it for 20 years and had no intention of ever changing the stone. In that 20th year, I wanted to update it or change the wedding band and that''s when the trouble began. To make a LONG story short, I decided to go look at a round 1.24ct AGS0 H&A stone. It was more of a curiosity thing for me and didn''t think that I would really like it or if i did like it that I would ever get it. Well, I decided that day that I had to have it...it was beautiful as compared to my marquise... it sparkled like my marquise never did...and we bought it. I don''t regret it at all. In fact, I was so happy with the decision to go round that I have upgraded twice to a larger size. I can''t say I ever contempleted getting a larger or better cut marquise. Not sure why. I''m thrilled with my center stone though
25.gif

The original marquise diamond is in my jewelry box and will be passed down to one of my two daughters. I could never part with the original.

Helen

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
One of the issues I have faced when considering going from fancy (pear) to a round is the price!!

Ovals are nice and do look larger than their RB sisters.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
haha.. Amen to the price factor! Your going to have to go bigger to get the same size impact of a fancy. I''m in the middle of trying to figure out if a round 2.5 ct is going to be the one. As for how I feel about the switch well I won''t be getting rid of my 1.7 Pear it''s just going to be worn on alternate days when I''m having a "pear" day!
31.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have been checking out 3ct rounds id/id and the prices are about par with 3> fancies. I did try on a 3ct. and well, it didn''t do it for me, size wise. But it might have to!

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Yup.. Definitely need to go larger (lol). I tried on a 2.3ct round this weekend and my three stone pear kinda made me say "oh yeah 2.5ct round here I come" so funny how wearing a fancy that looks bigger can impact the idea of size in a round not too mention my wallet..

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I originally had a marquise and traded to a round... and do regret it! I really don''t care for the look of the round''s faceting pattern, irregardless if it is H & A or "random".
For my next "change", I am definitely going to go with something else: Cushion, oval, emerald or back to marquise!

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock

When I upgraded from my original pear at Christmas I tried on some rounds but my fingers aren't very long so I felt like the oval (which is what I ultimately got) was better suited to my hand. I would of course love the *wow* sparkle of a round, but shape won out.

Ronda - Maybe I missed a thread, but are you considering a round now instead of a different marquis?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I went from a round to an oval to a pear but I still have a round very nice CZ that I wear as well, and although it is not a diamond, it looks very much like one (set in a really nice diamond setting) and it gives me the idea of what having a larger round diamond is like. You know, I go back and forth with the shape. I even thought of replacing my pear with another round because finding the setting for it is so much easier. I just can''t do it. The fancies are unique unto themselves. They each have their own look and personality -- there aren''t two that look the same. I could probably trade my pear for an ideal cut round of better color (although obviously smaller) and really enjoy it because of all the sparkle and light return that is so exciting in a round stone. I''ve considered it long and hard. However, I''d miss my pear. Find me the cushion of my dreams in the size and just the right cut, well, maybe I could let go without regret because getting just the right one would be so hard to do, as with my pear. But as for rounds, there''s always a wonderful round cut stone on the market. They are not that hard to find, you just may not be able to get the size you''d like.

I think it''s such a personal choice there''s no right or wrong way to go. I also think that coming to PS makes us (some of us anyway) yearn for the greener pasture. There''s always something new, which in itself is more exciting than our own same old ring, but in the end, there probably won''t ever be "the one and only diamond" for a lot of us. We just want one of each, LOL! At least *I* do.
31.gif
Can''t help myself.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had been engaged back in ''96 to a man who insisted I get a Marquise because he loved that shape. He was kind enough to leave the size up to me. (read that last sentence with much sarcasm). Well, we broke up. Fast forward 5 yrs & I meed my present husband. He knew the story about my previous ring & said to me that he wanted me to have exactly what I wanted this time around. He gave me 100% control & off I went finding the best stone he could afford. I told him I wanted a round, as I had back then but my ex. totally loved the marquise cause it "was more fancy". Uh ya ok. Anyway, this time around I knew that I would get a round. There is nothing that beats the sparkle of a round. Well, in my opinion that is. Being in Canada, I have not been so lucky as to see the different shapes in good quality cuts that you guys can see in the U.S..
I love to watch the light bounce off the ring. Its has its own light show. Two nights ago I went to a restaurant with large yellow christmas lights strung up on their rafters. That yellow turned my ring into a beacon of light. It was wonderful. My girlfriend picked up my left hand & put her glove on me. LOL

Judy
:)

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 12:03:28 AM
Author: ...My girlfriend picked up my left hand & put her glove on me. LOL

Judy

:)

lol!
10.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
WOOO, thank you all for your help..... :) I am in search of the perfect stone for my setting. I love the large marquise look but find that the ones I can afford just don''t have the sparkle or wow of the round stone. here is a picture my setting with a round stone from White flash verses the marquise. HELP :)

ronda1_RD_diamond.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, Woo, I was wondering if you were thinking of switching to a round!

As much as I love rounds, I think that with so man side stones in your ring, you need a fancy shape to stand out more than the round does in that picture.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Woo, without the matching wedding bands I think a round would look okay in the setting if it was a substantial size (I wonder how big the one you pasted in would translate into?) but I think a fancy would look better, in particular a marquise with those 2 bands. You could do a pear if you only wore one of those bands maybe...just my opinion. But I think the wedding set seems to call for a marquise in particular if you want to wear all 3 rings.

IndieQueen001

Rough_Rock
I think an Emerald cut would be beautiful with the baguettes in your setting... just an option
1.gif

momof3crazykids

Rough_Rock
I upgraded recently from a .92 marquise to a 2.623 round. I love the shape of a marquise and picked this as my first ering because so many people had the 1/2 ct special from the mall and I wanted to be different. I also think that fancy shapes look bigger and sometimes I have to go compare my new ering with my old one to make sure it is bigger
2.gif
. I kept my original ering for sentimental reasons (we got engaged on top of the world trade center) and will never trade it in.

I decided to switch to a round because of the sparkle. I had a friend with a 2 ct round and it sparkled from across the room like no other ring I had ever seen so I wanted a stone like hers. Ideal cut rounds really do sparkle better than any other stones I''ve seen, but maybe there is an ideal cut marquise that could sparkle as much? I''m hoping they come up with better standards for fancy shapes so that it makes buying a great fancy stone as easy as buying a great round stone. Woo, your new setting looks beautiful on you and I hope you find the perfect stone for it
9.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
You are probably right. The set does seem to be set for a fancy. I never thought of an emerald :) WOOO Thank you

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2006 8:59:57 PM
Author: Ann
I have been checking out 3ct rounds id/id and the prices are about par with 3> fancies. I did try on a 3ct. and well, it didn''t do it for me, size wise. But it might have to!

What fancy shape? Between rounds and pears, for example, there''s about 30% price difference at 3 cts (say: H/SI1 - 35k round, 25k pear etc.)
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results