shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone baking (or trying to) for the holidays?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I am always lucky if what I bake comes out decently! Luckily the chocolate peanut butter bars dh picked out do not require baking at all, just refrig!!!
yetanotherdancyguy.gif

I'm also going to make sugar cookies with hershey kisses in them, simple enough ;-) And one other thing but I can't decide what! I know those swirled brownie bars are really yummy! I also have a recipe around here somewhere that his grandma gave me. Hmmm.

Are you planning to bake? If so what are you baking :)
1899443gr3q2j7j4h.gif
1899444qb0bmpwy3v.gif

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Ive been on a baking spree since we got back from vacation a couple weeks ago. I love the holidays, great excuse to bake and give stuff away
9.gif
. This week, Ill be making 2 batches of cookies for the house, a loaf of lemon bread and a loaf of oatmeal honey bread (also for the house). For christmas, Ill be making a coffee cake in the am for MILs house, and 2 apple pies and a pecan pie for my families in the evening. Im going to be sleepy that night, lol. Sugar cookies sound yummy!
18.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I ended up making chocolate peanut butter bars, sugar cookies with hershey kisses, and cream cheese swirled brownies :) Hopefully they all came out good! Mil is bringing stuff to make some of her famous cookies and bars while she is here too :D

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This year for Christmas I decided to do something different. I made Indian sweets. Essentially crispy thin buttery dough coated in sugar syrup. So thankful for my KitchenAid stand mixer, because kneading 10+ rolls of dough would have taken absolutely forever. Got 5 massive tins of goodies.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
ditto ditto ditto on the mixer, hands down one of my favorite gifts now :)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
So far I''ve baked: chocolate chip cookies, pecan shortbread bars, and walnut biscotti. Tomorrow I''m baking chocolate nut bars and then I''m done. Everything I make tastes good, it just never looks very pretty, which bums me out. My husband says that what makes it obviously homemade.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/20/2009 10:50:52 PM
Author: KimberlyH
So far I've baked: chocolate chip cookies, pecan shortbread bars, and walnut biscotti. Tomorrow I'm baking chocolate nut bars and then I'm done. Everything I make tastes good, it just never looks very pretty, which bums me out. My husband says that what makes it obviously homemade.
That husband of yours is a very wise man
2.gif
My hubby always tells me fancy restaurants intentionally put potato lumps (read: not perfect) in their mashed potatoes so people know it's made from scratch. We've trained them well, haven't we?!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
So far I''ve made peanut butter chocolate (white and milk) chunk cookies; cranberry, white chocolate, walnut cookies; and chocolate dipped almond brittle. I still have skor bars to make (left the easiest for last) and then I''ll be putting together tins of all four goodies for fam and friends. For the house, I''m also planning on baking some chocolate chip banana bread and apple crumb pies. Mmmm, I love the holidays
18.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve made dozens of sugar cookies, Kris Kringles (drop cookies with white chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and chopped pecans), and English tea cakes (these taste like a shortbread) already. Still planning to make chocolate mint snowdrops and chocolate cherry drops this week.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a pic of a cookie tray I just made up today. Yum, vanilla and spearmint flavored icing on these!

xmascookies.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

i dunno if i count as a newlywed... haha is 3 years still new? But for dessert i will be baking a pumpkin cream cheese roll, and a chocolate cake that I make with caramel and heath bar crumbles and sugar cookies. For food, i will be making appetizers: mediterrean prosciutto bites! hope it all goes well!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/20/2009 11:23:22 PM
Author: pocahontas
So far I''ve made peanut butter chocolate (white and milk) chunk cookies; cranberry, white chocolate, walnut cookies; and chocolate dipped almond brittle. I still have skor bars to make (left the easiest for last) and then I''ll be putting together tins of all four goodies for fam and friends. For the house, I''m also planning on baking some chocolate chip banana bread and apple crumb pies. Mmmm, I love the holidays
18.gif
Oooh, Poca, your goodies sound absolutely delicious! I''d love to steal the recipes off you! About time you get FB, woman!!!!
11.gif

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone''s treats sound so yummy! Equestrienne - those cookies came out beautiful. So far I have made chocolate mint fudge and oreo truffles. I will also be attempting to make a Chocolate chip Bailey''s cheesecake, but I am kind of nervous because I have never done a cheesecake before.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I morph into Martha Stewart/Paula Deen the day after Thanksgiving and the entire month of December turns into a bake-a-thon. I do cookies and other treats throughout the month and then the week before Christmas I make coffee cakes. I''m making 12 cakes this year. 2 for each office (1 with nuts one without), 1 for the mailman, 1 for the landlord and the other 6 to take to various relatives.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Easiest treat are what I call "Pretzel Delights".

1 bag of windowpane pretzels (I think Snyders makes them)
1 bag of rollos

Lay pretzels out on a non-stick baking sheet or parchment paper
unwrap rollos and put one on each pretzel
bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until the candies are squishy
Top and squish with another pretzel so it''s a sandwich
chill until the caramel and chocolate sets

You can also add a pecan for a "turtle" effect.

Also, sugar cookie dough can be used to make numerous cookies. You can do thumbprints with jam or hershey''s kisses, window panes with melted hard candy, you can make mint Milanos (put peppermint extract into melted chocolate and make a sandwich cookie with it, nutella sandwiches, etc...very versatile.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2009 11:39:07 PM
Author: equestrienne
Here''s a pic of a cookie tray I just made up today. Yum, vanilla and spearmint flavored icing on these!

Your cookies are so pretty!!! Every year I try to frost cookies and they come out looking like a toddler decorated them.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

They look fantastic! I wish my things looked that good. I made four batches of chocolate chip cookies last week which went down very well and are all gone. I''m going to make another batch of these at the weekend, plus a toblerone cheesecake for a dessert and I''m not sure what else I''m going to do yet.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 12:54:08 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Easiest treat are what I call ''Pretzel Delights''.

1 bag of rollos

bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until the candies are squishy

You can also add a pecan for a ''turtle'' effect.

Also, sugar cookie dough can be used to make numerous cookies. You can do thumbprints with jam or hershey''s kisses, window panes with melted hard candy, you can make mint Milanos (put peppermint extract into melted chocolate and make a sandwich cookie with it, nutella sandwiches, etc...very versatile.
Sweeeet! Thanks H_H - I was dying to try this out when you mentioned them the other week.

I''m making my traditional maple frosted cupcakes. Christmas is actually DH''s birthday so I also ordered him a sheet cake from his favorite bakery - I know he will be surprised because usually I make his cake since it''s hard for me to find time to get to the bakery. I bought all the typical supplies for me to make his cake - so he thinks it will be the same ol same ol'' - I love surprizes!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the cookie compliments, ladies. I use a powdered sugar/milk/corn syrup icing on my sugar cookies. A quick dip in the bowl and the whole top of the cookie gets a yummy glazing that doesn't get too hard and keeps a nice sheen to it.

HH, the Rolo/pretzel recipe sounds great. I may have to try that one. :)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 1:02:26 PM
Author: Keepingthefaith21

1 bag of rollos

Sweeeet! Thanks H_H - I was dying to try this out when you mentioned them the other week.

I''m making my traditional maple frosted cupcakes. Christmas is actually DH''s birthday so I also ordered him a sheet cake from his favorite bakery - I know he will be surprised because usually I make his cake since it''s hard for me to find time to get to the bakery. I bought all the typical supplies for me to make his cake - so he thinks it will be the same ol same ol'' - I love surprizes!
You can actually make these in the microwave if you''re in a bind or your oven is full of other goodies.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I made chocolate covered pretzels, crescent cream cheese squares, peanut blossoms, pizelles, butter cookies with the press, snickerdoodles, choc chip, sugar, and meringues.
9.gif

That Kitchenaid mixer is SO freaking amazing that I just went into crazy psycho bake mode because doughs were SO easy to mix!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 1:00:08 AM
Author: kama_s

Date: 12/20/2009 11:23:22 PM
Author: pocahontas
So far I've made peanut butter chocolate (white and milk) chunk cookies; cranberry, white chocolate, walnut cookies; and chocolate dipped almond brittle. I still have skor bars to make (left the easiest for last) and then I'll be putting together tins of all four goodies for fam and friends. For the house, I'm also planning on baking some chocolate chip banana bread and apple crumb pies. Mmmm, I love the holidays
18.gif
Oooh, Poca, your goodies sound absolutely delicious! I'd love to steal the recipes off you! About time you get FB, woman!!!!
11.gif
I know, right?! I'm still holding out, but every so often I do get tempted. Maybe one day
31.gif
It's funny, despite the numerous cookbooks I have, all the recipes I used this year are available online and are super easy. Here you go, enjoy!

Chunky chocolate peanut butter cookies

Kris Kringle cookies (made with toasted walnuts instead of pecans. There are several versions of this recipe, but I like the consistency of this one the best)

Chocolate Almond Brittle (I swear this is the easiest nut brittle recipe ever! I love that you don't need a candy thermometer since they rarely ever work for me and it's done in the microwave - just be sure to use a large bowl because it will boil over if you don't and will make a sticky mess)

Skor Squares (I usually omit the pecans. Also, some recipes call for 4 squares of melted baking chocolate to be drizzled over the squares - up to you. Also, I like to use more toffee bits than is called for and depending on my mood I will use actual score bars instead of the toffee bits to get the chocolatey goodness)

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 12:56:27 PM

Your cookies are so pretty!!! Every year I try to frost cookies and they come out looking like a toddler decorated them.
so do mine. my mom makes "spritzer" cookies with a press. she always adds sprinkles, colors, frosting- and they are beautiful. mine look like hunks of mud.

charbie

Ideal_Rock

1 bag of rollos

the pretzel delights sound wonderful! i wish i would have read this before i just made 3 batches of my "cookies" for the work cookie exchange!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
ok, i wish i could make all of these things like everyone here! i LOVE to bake (didn''t get a kitchenaide since we would have NO more counterspace for it...our kitchen has simply run out of room...but thats a different post all together...) however- my hubby does not eat sweets. he just has no sweet tooth. so if i made all of this, it would either go to waste or my coworkers would start to hate me for making them fat.

i am participating in our annual cookie exchange at work. each person brings in 1/2 dozen cookies/treats to trade. i made little holiday bags with my white chocolate chex mix!

White Chocolate Chex Mix-
3 cups Cheerios
3 cups Rice Chex
3 cups Corn Chex
2 cups broken (not crushed) pretzel sticks
1 1/2 cups red and green M&Ms
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts
20 oz white melting chocolate

Mix the dry ingredients, melt the chocolate, mix. Spread it over a cookie sheet that''s covered in wax paper. Cool in the fridge for about 20 mins, then break apart into smaller pieces. Easy, and tastes great!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 11:14:36 PM
Author: charbie
ok, i wish i could make all of these things like everyone here! i LOVE to bake (didn''t get a kitchenaide since we would have NO more counterspace for it...our kitchen has simply run out of room...but thats a different post all together...) however- my hubby does not eat sweets. he just has no sweet tooth. so if i made all of this, it would either go to waste or my coworkers would start to hate me for making them fat.

i am participating in our annual cookie exchange at work. each person brings in 1/2 dozen cookies/treats to trade. i made little holiday bags with my white chocolate chex mix!

3 cups Cheerios

3 cups Rice Chex

3 cups Corn Chex

Mix the dry ingredients, melt the chocolate, mix. Spread it over a cookie sheet that''s covered in wax paper. Cool in the fridge for about 20 mins, then break apart into smaller pieces. Easy, and tastes great!

Charbie? Do you make this every year? A former coworker of mine used to make this. It was her specialty! It''s very very yummy....mmm

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I''ve now been delegated as dessert/appetizer person for christmas dinner. FIL loves too cook, maybe I can somehow convince him to do it lol he''ll be cooking up a storm regardless :)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2009 10:59:09 PM

So far I''ve baked: chocolate chip cookies, pecan shortbread bars, and walnut biscotti. Tomorrow I''m baking chocolate nut bars and then I''m done. Everything I make tastes good, it just never looks very pretty, which bums me out. My husband says that what makes it obviously homemade.
2.gif
My hubby always tells me fancy restaurants intentionally put potato lumps (read: not perfect) in their mashed potatoes so people know it''s made from scratch. We''ve trained them well, haven''t we?!
Yes, kama, but when I see beautiful homemade treats like Equestrienne''s I feel lilke a baking failure!
9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 2:05:26 PM
Date: 12/20/2009 10:59:09 PM

2.gif
My hubby always tells me fancy restaurants intentionally put potato lumps (read: not perfect) in their mashed potatoes so people know it''s made from scratch. We''ve trained them well, haven''t we?!
Yes, kama, but when I see beautiful homemade treats like Equestrienne''s I feel lilke a baking failure!
9.gif

DITTO

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 7:43:01 AM

Date: 12/21/2009 11:14:36 PM
Author: charbie

3 cups Cheerios

3 cups Rice Chex

3 cups Corn Chex

Charbie? Do you make this every year? A former coworker of mine used to make this. It was her specialty! It''s very very yummy....mmm
I do make this every year! Ever since the first time I made it, I began getting requests, so now it is my annual contribution. It is yummy! My mom makes it, too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results