shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody use Zipcars or I-Go Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The HH and I are resisting the idea of buying a second car even though the inevitable fact is we need some additional form of transportation. I have just given up my regular office job to be a full time real estate agent, which means that I will need the car a lot more during the day, but the HH works in a suburb about an hour from our house. He has some flexibility to work from home and go early/come back early, but we''re afraid not as much as I''ll need over the long run.

Anyway, long story short, I see the signs for I-Go Cars and Zipcars around where we live. Tonight I was checking them out on-line and the programs seem like they might work out for me. I anticipate my primary uses would be to move myself around*, although it''s possible I could end up taking a client to showings or a closing. (*And don''t even bother suggesting a scooter or a bike because I''m the only person in America who has never learned how to ride a bicycle and I think this 36 year old dog is too old to learn that trick, especially in city traffic!)

Does anyone use these services? What do you think of them? Anything you learned over time by using the program that you wish you knew from the get-go?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay, what are these? I''ve never heard of them. Actually, I''m going to look online now. Sorry I can''t offer any advice.
34.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe, they are car programs where you pay a small initiation and annual fee and then rent vehicles by the hour. The costs seem very reasonable:

I-Go Cars
$75 initial
$25 annual
$6/hour and 50 cents/mile

Zipcars
$25 initial
$50 annual
$8.10/hour
180 free miles per day

(Sorry for not giving a better explanation in the beginning!)

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2007 8:43:39 PM
Author:Dee*Jay
The HH and I are resisting the idea of buying a second car even though the inevitable fact is we need some additional form of transportation. I have just given up my regular office job to be a full time real estate agent, which means that I will need the car a lot more during the day, but the HH works in a suburb about an hour from our house. He has some flexibility to work from home and go early/come back early, but we''re afraid not as much as I''ll need over the long run.

Anyway, long story short, I see the signs for I-Go Cars and Zipcars around where we live. Tonight I was checking them out on-line and the programs seem like they might work out for me. I anticipate my primary uses would be to move myself around*, although it''s possible I could end up taking a client to showings or a closing. (*And don''t even bother suggesting a scooter or a bike because I''m the only person in America who has never learned how to ride a bicycle and I think this 36 year old dog is too old to learn that trick, especially in city traffic!)

Does anyone use these services? What do you think of them? Anything you learned over time by using the program that you wish you knew from the get-go?
Dee, I''m sorry I can''t help with your question. It seems like a good option for you, but I haven''t heard of it out here in the burbs. But, I just wanted to say WOW! DJ only has one job now!!!! Go girl!
36.gif
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Irish, it ain't *quite* that easy...

I foolishly offered to help my financial company find and train my replacement. Well, let's just say I "quit" six weeks ago and as of right now I can't see much of a light at the end of the tunnel.
39.gif

But THANK YOU -- I do appreciate the support!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
We heart Zipcar! We live in a big city where parking/gas/insurance is incredibly expensive. We''re now in year 6 and have been Zipsters for the last 2 years. I''m not sure how it would work out money-wise for you (I''m sure you can figure that out ans Zipcar has special buisness rates) but we love it. It''s exactly as advertised; book online, get in car, go. The cars are kept up really well and have always been clean, etc. Occasionally someone doesn''t follow the gas rule, but that''s a minor annoyance when you''re not paying for the gas!

We also have friends who own 2 cars already and joined just so that they can have fun cars on the weekend. Our university subsidizes the inital insurance fee, so for us it''s $25 a year, plus of course whatever you use. Maybe they''d let you try it out for a while and see? Near us they are very accomodating, they add cars near you if you ask nicely and they can find a spot. They answer emails. My one gripe is that they won''t do discounted long-term rentals, so we can''t use them for holiday trips 800 miles away (the mileage limit/overage cost adds up fast).

Any questions, just ask!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mercoledi - thank you SO MUCH for the response! It's always good to get a "real person's" perspective and it sounds like your experience is a very positive one.

I'm leaning more toward Zipcars because I like their vehicle selection better and in terms of the rate I would be better off paying $8.10/hour with 180 free miles than paying $6.00/hour and 50 cents/mile.

Just to be totally sure though; you don't have to pay any sort of insurance fee to Zipcars or have any extra rider on your own insurance? It doesn't sound like it but I would hate to find out I'm wrong in the event of (god forbid) a fender bender...

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
When I joined they were asking for a $300 deposit for their insurance. We definitely didn''t add anything on our insurance since we don''t have any. I guess that may have changed since they''ve expanded out of Mass, but I don''t know for sure.

Now, we''re in Mass where insurance is all kinds of messed up, so I don''t know if that varies state to state. In our case, my university paid that fee for me (I think it''s refunded when you quit) and for DH. That one time fee covered us on their plan which is very cool for us because it means any Zipcar member can legally drive a car reserved by another member. For example if four of us zipsters go out to dinner and whomever picked up the car had too much wine, someone else can DD. Or if we go hiking and DH sprianed something, I can drive back without the repercussions that you would have for a regular rental car. We can also fly to Chicago or DC or spots in Canada and just pick up a car there too. Tres cool.

I think there''s a section on the website about "what if I have an accident"
insurance
zipcar for buisnesses

Look around the website when you sign on, I think there''s a 30 day trial period and usually a code to give you $25 in driving free for signing up. Grr. I can''t find the link to the $30 day trial thing. They have live chat help- I bet you can ask.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results