shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody own a garment steamer they like?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been wanting to buy a garment steamer for some time now but based on reviews, there are pros/cons to all of them...the floor models seem are the powerful/reliable but they're bulky...and the handheld ones seem to not produce much steam...

So I think I have to expect that it won't be "perfect"...but still would like to try one and see for myself.

Anybody own one that they're happy with? :))

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I have a Samsonite travel steamer that is good for a dress or shirt or two while you're traveling, but I also recently got a stand-up unit for home (not sure the brand, I'm at work right now), and it's night and day compared to the travel steamer lol!!!! If you steam a lot of clothes, I would actually recommend you get both. While it takes 5 minutes to perfectly do a dress with the travel steamer it takes 30 seconds for the standup.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Just got home. The large standup steamer is from Conair.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi CJ :wavey:
We have a mini hand held steamer that we like so much we bought a second to keep at our beach house too.
The Jiffy Esteam-just scroll down.
http://www.jiffysteamer.com/breastCancer/

It's easy to use and IMO produces enough steam and we just fill it with tap and within a minute or 2 it's ready to go. I like it a lot and it really works. Ofc there are some things you just need to iron but for most of our clothing that wrinkles (I have a lot of wrinkle resistant clothing I need nothing for) it works very well.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I have a McCullough that I absolutely love. I'm on my third one because I'm an idiot. I dropped the handle on a hard surface and broke it for replacent one. I think I lost the other in a move.

This thing heats up quickly and doesn't stop working mid steam to "recover" like so many others. We bought my MIL a different steamer a few years back (it was on sale- cost more than the McCullough) and it was a piece of junk. She couldn't steam anything without having to stop half way thru and hold the wand above her head to make the steam flow again.

They are not all created equal!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00158QZVE

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I ask here! :appl: You guys are awesome, thank you.

Sonny - which model is the Conair one you have (if you don't mind looking)

Missy - thanks! I absolutely hate ironing but at the same time I feel silly wanting to wear something and NOT wearing it just so I don't have to iron. ::) I think DH would be more open to handheld because of the storage space...

April - ooooh I had not ran into this brand before even though I've been researching steamers for days...

I think I'll have to try both the handheld (which would come in handy for Turkey!) and the floor model...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1367863850|3441385 said:
The best steamer ever is the Jiffy commercial grade one. If you have room I'd spring for it. My house is just too small right now, but I plan to get one as soon as I have a big enough closet to keep it in. This is the one all the clothing stores I worked at used: http://www.amazon.com/J-4000-Jiffy-...3818&sr=8-1&keywords=jiffy+commercial+steamer

Thing, I'd totally want to spring for that because it sounds like it works really well...but - not sure I have that many garments to steam to warrant the space...the more I thought about it the more a "portable" one made sense. I ended up buying the one that Missy recommended - the Jiffy Esteam. But I will definitely keep this one in mind. (I had also liked the one that McCullough that April recommended but the only one on Amazon is refurbished, and I can't find it anywhere else.)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1367839240|3441140 said:
We have a mini hand held steamer that we like so much we bought a second to keep at our beach house too.

It's easy to use and IMO produces enough steam and we just fill it with tap and within a minute or 2 it's ready to go. I like it a lot and it really works. Ofc there are some things you just need to iron but for most of our clothing that wrinkles (I have a lot of wrinkle resistant clothing I need nothing for) it works very well.

Missy, I bought this one! I tried it just now an a few cotton shirts, and from what I can tell, it works well (although I didn't put ON the shirts to see, which is the true test IMO). But it did seem like it removed the wrinkles.

Silly question - I didn't know where to hang the shirts...what do you use, like a door? (this is where I can see one of the floor models makes it easier - you hang it right there)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1368559498|3446867 said:

Missy, I bought this one! I tried it just now an a few cotton shirts, and from what I can tell, it works well (although I didn't put ON the shirts to see, which is the true test IMO). But it did seem like it removed the wrinkles.

Silly question - I didn't know where to hang the shirts...what do you use, like a door? (this is where I can see one of the floor models makes it easier - you hang it right there)

I do it in the bathroom and hang it on a towel rack while I do it. That way I can turn the metal part of the hanger and have the shirt face me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1368561961|3446900 said:
CJ2008|1368559498|3446867 said:

I do it in the bathroom and hang it on a towel rack while I do it. That way I can turn the metal part of the hanger and have the shirt face me.

Hi CJ, I'm glad you are liking it so far. I do what Thing does too. Or sometimes I do hang it on a door. And sometimes I just hold it on the hanger in one hand and the steamer in the other. That's how easy it is. If the wrinkles are tougher to get out that's when it is more critical to have your other hand free to hold the material taught to get the wrinkles out more easily.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy and Thing.

I used it again today - it works pretty well - in some cases I feel it almost works BETTER than the iron...

One thing...I burned (nothing bad) myself a few times when I was maneuvering the handpiece...it's very easy for the steam to go right to your hand if you're not careful. I'd like to try like wearing some kind of glove or something so that I can maneuver the piece exactly where I want it and not worry about getting burned...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results