shape
carat
color
clarity

anybody know how to sew?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I have been needing curtains for my dining room for three years now and finally went to look at some at the store. They are expensive and they don''t even match!! So I went out today with my mother in law to buy fabric and she is going to make me some. I bought all the fabric for about $23 for four valances. I''m thinking making your own curtains, etc. is the way to go. Too bad I don''t know how to sew and I have no time! Does anyone else make their own stuff or do you always buy pre made? Or even better pay someone to make them for you?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know that belle knows how to sew, maybe she can give you some tips. Good luck!!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Diamondsrock, I sew and have about 30 years experience. I grew up in the 4-H club. As an adult, I owned an interior decorating business (before kids). I''ve made all my own draperies, swags, etc., but for my business, I mainly used a local workroom. I don''t have as much fun sewing for others as I do for myself. Actually, I''ve been home today working on costumes for my daughters dance studio. Their annual production of The Nutcracker is the first weekend in December, and during costume distribution, I accidentally admitted that I could sew. Next thing I knew, I had 3 party dressed and 8 soldier hats handed over for alterations/ribbons/flowers.
6.gif

Anyway, you can save some money sewing your own window treatments. If you are making simple valances for your windows, I think it is even doable for a beginner. Having a mom (or MIL) that can sew is even better.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sew and have made all the curtains for my house in various designs. I picked it up as I went along with the help of a book. I have made full length curtains, balloon shades and valances and I really enjoy it. I buy my fabrics from Laura Ashley, they are expensive but great to work with, start with something simple and you will soon get the hang of it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do, used to be pretty good at it.
Dont have a machine anymore but still do some hand mending.
I was raised old school where something wasnt trash untill it had been patched 4 times.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve always purchased premade and every time has been very stressful because it''s impossible to find exactly the right size that most need to be altered slightly. The only good quality drapes I''ve found were from Pottery Barn Kids and they were so overpriced, but my MIL bought them, so luckily I didn''t have to fork over the $. They looked wonderful in the last house, but don''t fit the window we have now
7.gif
(so I will try selling them on ebay)

I''m hoping to learn to sew both drapes and clothes. Fabric and textures are just wonderful and I would love spending all day rolling around in piles of velvet & chenile! lol (or maybe knitting would be fun too
9.gif
)

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Hi DR,

I am from a family of women with equisite interior decorating tastes. My sister in laws home looks like pottery barn and restoration hardware...melded. Not one thing is from either store. He curtains look like a million bucks. The details of rich textured fabrics, twisted cordings, lavish tassels, and glass beading. You would SWEAR they were thousands of dollars. Her secret? Stitch Witchery. She has not one chain stitch (continuation of thread..) anywhere. She may use a tack of thread here and there to attach details...but the hems and tops are simply folded with a strip of no sew stitch witchery and then ironed down. She even attaches tab top tabs with this technique.

One valance in particular I am picturing is over her kitchen sink. It a rich textured brocade material in a rich golden color accented with jewel colored fruits. It has a hankerchief hem...with cordings. The hankercheif hem is hemmed with precision...no sewing. Behind the layered triangles of hankercheif zig zag bottom she had duplicated the same in a sheer complimentary fabric. This is slightly longer than the brocade so light infuses the edges of the sheer and it is simply deliightful.

If you are intimated by a singer...use your iron instead. No harm no foul if you aren''t pleased with it...you can remove it and start again.

Just a simple idea to help alleviate your stress.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
curtains are one of the easiest things to sew. that said, if you are at all timid about the sewing machine, i second dks''s suggestion of stich witchery. it''s a great ''no commitment'' way to put together a project.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info. everyone! I never really had a desire to make curtains or sew anything until I went into the store and saw all of the amazing fabrics. I think I may give it a try with that stitch witchery.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
The iron-on stitch witchery stuff is just great. I have years of 4-H and can sew clothes without a pattern, but I still use the iron-on stuff when I don''t want to completely committ to the needle and thread. It works really well for curtains. I would practice on a scrap piece of your material first so you know how the tape & the heat will react with your particular fabric. I have had some delicate fabrics melt before I could get the stitch-witchery to attach.

Good luck!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a good machine is necessary. i struggled for years with a singer. upgraded to a top of the middle of the line viking and i now enjoy getting the machine out.

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results