shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody hear about/see Camilla''s ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 3:22:29 AM
Author: Lord Summerisle
Aye, lest us not forget... Charles and Diana was not out of Charles choosing to marry her... it was arranged for him to marry her...

(and I''d still rather have the system we do... than have some slimy president whoes brownnosed and backstabbed his way to the top... at least here hes still not *supreme* ruler... he still has to offically deffer to her.

Remember Royalty is for life, not just for a political term.
28.gif

Nice. Yeah -- like Windowshopper said, what''s this babbling about? It gets SO old hearing clueless wanna-be political theorists making wide and WILD generalizations like the one here. There are a lot of Americans on this site who haven''t dedicated their lives to bashing our president, and who actually ARE proud to be American -- as horrifying as that may be to the rest of the world. Everyone knows that the Royal family is pomp and cirumstance at this juncture in time. Do you even realize how hilariously ridiculous the whole thing seems to the rest of the world? No one outside of Britain takes it seriously -- so you comparing it to the president of the United States, who actually has a JOB to do -- well that''s like apples & oranges, isn''t it? I mean even if you hate him -- he STILL has a very difficult job to do, which entails more than choosing the proper riding pants for his polo match -- or remembering to tell his son that wearing a swastika to a party is MAYBE a bad idea.

As for Camilla and Charles -- I agree that they seem to have been very close for so many years, and I don''t doubt that their love is far deeper than anything Charles and Diana could have ever had. The media made Diana its darling so we always heard about the pain she suffered -- and I have no doubt that she did suffer greatly.....but I guess in hindsight, and with information that has been released in the last few years, it''s clear that Charles suffered as well. Who knows. I think they''re all crazy -- I mean I don''t think you can live that life and NOT be negatively affected. I''m confused here though -- everyone is saying that Charles should not have married Diana, but wasn''t Camilla already married at that time? My understanding is that Charles left for military duty in the 70''s, and when he returned, Camilla had married someone else. Or am I mistaken?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 9:24:46 AM
Author: SJS1234

Date: 2/11/2005 3:22:29 AM
Author: Lord Summerisle
Aye, lest us not forget... Charles and Diana was not out of Charles choosing to marry her... it was arranged for him to marry her...

(and I''d still rather have the system we do... than have some slimy president whoes brownnosed and backstabbed his way to the top... at least here hes still not *supreme* ruler... he still has to offically deffer to her.

Remember Royalty is for life, not just for a political term.
28.gif

Nice. Yeah -- like Windowshopper said, what''s this babbling about? It gets SO old hearing clueless wanna-be political theorists making wide and WILD generalizations like the one here. There are a lot of Americans on this site who haven''t dedicated their lives to bashing our president, and who actually ARE proud to be American -- as horrifying as that may be to the rest of the world. Everyone knows that the Royal family is pomp and cirumstance at this juncture in time. Do you even realize how hilariously ridiculous the whole thing seems to the rest of the world? No one outside of Britain takes it seriously -- so you comparing it to the president of the United States, who actually has a JOB to do -- well that''s like apples & oranges, isn''t it? I mean even if you hate him -- he STILL has a very difficult job to do, which entails more than choosing the proper riding pants for his polo match -- or remembering to tell his son that wearing a swastika to a party is MAYBE a bad idea.

As for Camilla and Charles -- I agree that they seem to have been very close for so many years, and I don''t doubt that their love is far deeper than anything Charles and Diana could have ever had. The media made Diana its darling so we always heard about the pain she suffered -- and I have no doubt that she did suffer greatly.....but I guess in hindsight, and with information that has been released in the last few years, it''s clear that Charles suffered as well. Who knows. I think they''re all crazy -- I mean I don''t think you can live that life and NOT be negatively affected. I''m confused here though -- everyone is saying that Charles should not have married Diana, but wasn''t Camilla already married at that time? My understanding is that Charles left for military duty in the 70''s, and when he returned, Camilla had married someone else. Or am I mistaken?
YOU ARE NOT MISTAKEN.......................ABOUT ANY OF IT

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

Oooookay…

*dives into nuc shelter and delivers the rest by tannoy*

Calm down folks….

Simply put, my feelings can be generalized as “he wants power, shouldn’t have it” since history shows time and time again, power corrupts and seduces, and generally isn’t good for a person.

Hence – a politician want power – hence (s)he is what (s)he is… and strives to get it. While in our current system – the Heir to the throne is not striving to get it (s)he was born to that position – and is giving a lifetimes upbringing to get used to the idea.

No system is perfect, nor do I suggest that our way is better than another…

I AM NOT BASHING THE US. Yes I have problems with the currant imcumbant… but that’s cos we purport to live in the democratic and free West. But there are also things I like about the way you do things politically, and things I don’t.

In relation to what I said – I stand by it… I just have to look at France, Italy and many other countries to know how I feel and be justified.

Chirac and Belosconi (sp?) are only free men from the corruption and lawbreaking and fraud they have commited because of their diplomatic protection their position commands. And to follow… Mugabe, Putin… hardly pillars of the community

See my other thread – for my reasons in the UK for not wishing to have President Blair. (oo it makes me feel sick just thinking about it!)

May I say I admire the love of your country that you can show with pride… I find it sad that here... you can not put up the national flag with out being labelled a racist, BNP card carrying, lager drinking, football yob.

To me, I wear my Lancastrian hearatige on my sleeve… and proud to be from and live in an area that once lead the world’s industry. But also of the spectacular scenery to be found in such a small area.

And yep our Royalty may only be ceremonial – but hey – it brings in the tourists ;-)

Now can we get to talking sparklie sparkles and leave politics in the bin where it belongs?

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Okay I''m calm now.....your statement just hit me the wrong way, but your explanation clarified your feelings and I agree with you on most of those things. it does get so exhausting defending the U.S. against constant verbal attacks, even from fellow Americans (well, mostly by fellow ungrateful Americans unfortunately) -- but now I see that that''s not even what you were doing. Guess I need to cool my defensive instincts....... sorry sorry!!!
blingspeak much better!! :)

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Windowshopper,

Your ring is gorgeous. Camilla should have had hers photographed on your hands because they are so much prettier than hers.

In fact, when I posted my ring, I should have had someone do a Photoshop job and used your hands because mine look like Camilla''s.

One can only imagine what might have been if Charles had married Camilla in the first place since she obviously was the love of his life. Diana was so young and inexperienced. She might have found someone who would have given her the love and attentiion she craved and been spared a great deal of unhappiness. The whole tragic story of that marriage must have a disastrous affect on their children.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Too matronly for a young bride?! I''d wear it. I think it''s beautiful. I''m a huge fan of old jewelry.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with movie zombie by the way. Being a royal is different from being just a regular rich person and he did have obligation to the royal family. It''s a shame things worked out the way they did and the whole monarchy probably needs a makeover. It will probably be the same for his sons , well the eldest one at least will have to marry someone his family thinks suits him.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
and by makeover I didn''t mean cosmetic.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
My Q here is,.............. They keep referring to Chas as the heir to the throne thruout all the announcements of this engagement.

Camilla is divorced. No heir to the throne has ever married a divorced woman and been crowned.

If Chas marries Camilla, how can he ascend to the throne??!! Are they gonna change the rules??!!
33.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
We don''t have a written constitution, unlike you guys, so we can make it up as we go along, literally. Everything here tends to be based on tradition and precedent, but we don''t have to copy what''s gone before, we can change it. Eveeryone just has to agree and that''s what''s happening here. Cool, huh?
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that Charles would be crowned king and Camilla would have some sort of title, but would not be Queen. I think that''s what they said on Larry King Live last night.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
charles has waited long enough for his sons to become grown and of age for the crown. while charles is the heir apparent, for many years it has been bandied about that he would ''abdicate'' to his oldest son who is very favored by the queen and the people.

can''t believe i know this much stuff about it since i''m not british and really don''t care for monarchy....but i''ll say this: the present day monarchy is certainly an improvement over the monarchy of henry viii ! however, as inner kitten has pointed out, the royals are certainly in need of a social/societal makeover. this may be one in many steps of that makeover and proof that they have finally decided to get with the times.

peace, movie zombie

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 1:48:59 PM
Author: kaleigh
I think that Charles would be crowned king and Camilla would have some sort of title, but would not be Queen. I think that''s what they said on Larry King Live last night.
Queen Consort, like the Queen Mum was. More Queen in name only. An honorary title as it were as she can''t take the throne.
1.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
She''ll be the Duchess of Cornwall, Princess (not Queen) Consort.

No matter how you feel about the Charles/Di thing, he and Camilla look giddily happy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks PQ!!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princess consort. What does consort mean??

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, she'd be The Princess Consort ( like Prince Albert was Prince Consort to Queen Victoria) and she'll be known in the interim as Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Cornwall in preference to taking the title of the Princess of Wales.

The Queen has given her blessing to the marriage and confered the title HRH (which is in her gift) on her. I don't think that Charles has ever contemplated abdicating and neither the Queen nor Parliament has made any moves to suggest he should. Suggestions that he might are and always have been pure speculation, gossip and in some cases, wishful thinking. I don't think that he wants William to have to take on the crown any earlier than he has to. I don't blame him.

I'm sure that people will get used to her being his wife and a few years down the line, it won't be an important issue anymore.

Consort just means partner. ( Dictionary def: A husband or wife, especially the spouse of a monarch.)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks bagpuss!! So when people greet her do they have to say Her royal highness and stuff. Do women have to curtsy in front of her?
I agree all of this in a couple years will so not even be an issue.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 3:29:22 PM
Thanks bagpuss!! So when people greet her do they have to say Her royal highness and stuff. Do women have to curtsy in front of her?
I agree all of this in a couple years will so not even be an issue.
Yes, they''ll have to curtsey and call her Your Royal Highness. They''re doing that already - you could see it when she was at Windsor showing off her ring etc
21.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I understand this has come with a rather mixed reception by the populus. Bet some were very straight backed and barely got a bend in the knee.
20.gif

Judi W

Shiny_Rock
Consort or Queen, she''ll still be married to the King! That is, if he ever makes it to the throne. Chances are it will be the oldest son, William who will get there first.... Also, I heard an interview on Good Morning America with Charles'' best friend. He said that they fell for each other when they were very young and that Charles went into the Army...when he was gone, she married someone else and then he eventually married Diana. They do seem to be very happy together...and I would think that makes family happy too!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
So Bagpuss how are Prince William and Harry? They get along quite well with her don''t they?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Bless her heart, QE has tried. She had the throne dropped in her lap when she younger, early in her marriage, with small children. I don''t think she wanted the same thing for her heir. Poor Chas has worked at it, but the part of "the man who would be King" seems so forced for him. QE tried, over the years, to mix with the people, show life in the Monarchy so it wouldn''t be so mysterious, and go with changes in the times. Life ain''t easy in a fishbowl.
20.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
They thought very carefully about her titles etc. because they didn't want to tread on any toes. The Public had made it clear they wouldn't accept a 'Queen Camilla' so they've come up with a female version of Prince Albert's title - Prince Consort. He was the only husband of a British monarch to hold the title. I keep saying it - we Brits have always made it up as we go along!
9.gif

As far as Camilla's background goes, here's a potted history. It makes fascinating reading.........

She was born Camilla Rosemary Shand in London. Her parents were the Hon. Rosalind Cubitt, elder daughter of the 3rd Baron Ashcombe (whose forebear was the builder Thomas Cubitt, who made a fortune constructing much of London's West End for the Grosvenor family), and her husband, Major Bruce Shand, a British Army officer turned wine merchant and half-brother of Elspeth Howe.

Mrs. Parker Bowles is related to three other favourites of the British royal family. She is a great-granddaughter of famed royal mistress Alice Keppel (the Hon. Mrs George Keppel, née Edmonstone, a daughter of Admiral Sir William Edmonstone), who was the last love of the Prince of Wales's great-great-grandfather, Edward VII and was born two months before Mrs Keppel's death. She is also a descendant via her grandmother Sonia Keppel of Arnold Joost van Keppel, 1st Earl of Albemarle, a favourite of William III, and of Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond, the illegitimate son of King Charles II by his mistress Louise-Renée de Penancoët de Kérouaille, duchess of Portsmouth. She is also a great-niece of Violet Trefusis, a socialite who caused an international scandal in the 1920s by eloping with fellow writer Vita Sackville-West; both ladies were married at the time. She is also a distant cousin of Rufus Keppel, the present Earl of Albemarle.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know all the details of the wedding, like where it will be held, what sort of outfit will Camilla wear etc...

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
The was a large picture of the ring in the Paper today.. will try and scan it tomorrow.

dunno how well it''ll come out tho

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2005 3:52:54 PM
Author: Judi W
I heard an interview on Good Morning America with Charles' best friend. He said that they fell for each other when they were very young and that Charles went into the Army...

Luckily we here on Pricescope are unusually prescient. We had already catalogued the early history of Charles and Camilla *BEFORE* their wedding was announced:

Camilla and Charles Thread Started Before the Announcement of Their Marriage

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2005 4
6.gif
9:14 PM
Does anyone know all the details of the wedding, like where it will be held, what sort of outfit will Camilla wear etc...

Actually, people are betting on the color of the gown. I wish I could post the odds I saw quoted. They were quite funny. The odds against a red, white, and blue patriotic gown were quite high ;-).

Deb

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

Good for them. Although I acknowledge Charles can well "afford" to buy Camilla (and Diana for that matter) a new ring, I must admit to being a bit surprised that neither received a family heirloom. Am I off base here?

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results