shape
carat
color
clarity

anybody got an ASET pic on a 8* ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2005 12:32:00 AM
Author: Rhino
LOL... I can just see Ana walking into a store with her laptop and DiamCalc asking ... what do you have that looks like this?
23.gif
... in a computer store, maybe.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2005 12:26:19 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Ana use draft and double reflection mode
Yes...

I took the lazy way, because the argument of the thread is about scans precision (is it?) more than the DC''s ability to model things true to nature. Bar Jonathan''s Helium examples, it still seems to me that fitting DC models to images taken through reflector devices is surprisingly precise. I wonder if this association between models and picture (both with tractable number of colors) will remain the ''reality check'' of the communication system.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2005 12:26:19 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Ana use draft and double reflection mode
I remember Paul Sledgers has posted an entire thread with instruction how to do this, only couldn't find it for the life of me.

For me, it went like this:
- fit size,table size and alignment (by rotation in plane), star and lgf length in simple wire frame.
- fit crown height, upper and lower azimuth in single reflection wireframe
- fit pavilion depth in double reflection and full color mode.
There was some feed back between these.

...but, there must be something wrong: e.g. for a range of tables sizes, there seems to be every time a star size and set of angles that fits, from AGS0 into AGS4. Obviously, this is the first time I am trying this...

double.JPG

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
Hi Rhino,

I have not left anywhere, I regularly check whats up in PS. How else one keeps his diamond education up to date?

And yes, I have studied the reports Helium makes.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2005 1:08:20 AM
Author: valeria101

I remember Paul Sledgers has posted an entire thread with instruction how to do this, only couldn''t find it for the life of me.

- fit size,table size and alignment (by rotation in plane), star and lgf length in simple wire frame.

...but, there must be something wrong: e.g. for a range of tables sizes, there seems to be every time a star size and set of angles that fits, from AGS0 into AGS4. Obviously, this is the first time I am trying this...
Ana,

That''s pretty good. There''s an inherent error in this technique that''s caused by the distance of the camera from the gemston as it relates to the depth and diameter of the stone. If you didn''t take the picture, you can''t account for this and viewing distance isn''t one of the variables in DC anyway. The result is that the photographic images don''t exactly match the DC models. This difference is most obvious when you try to match the Star facets. Most of us have been doing this using Idealscope images and they are much worse for this problem than the desktop ASET because the camera lens is so much closer to the stone. There are some issues with getting a decent image out of the ASET but I''m reasonably confident that this will be resolved and that this technique will prove to be a very useful ''reality check'' linking the various computer models, raw measurement data, and photographic images together.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Niel do you have the link to the how to page on ideal-scope.com?
It is not up public because of the table perspective issue you mention.
Will get it from Arthur today.

BTW you can change the view distance in diamcalc - in draft mode
Options>advanced>observer head and distance
just set to the camera distance - should work - but we have not tested it yet

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2005 8:24:01 AM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 12/11/2005 1:08:20 AM
Author: valeria101

I remember Paul Sledgers has posted an entire thread with instruction how to do this, only couldn''t find it for the life of me.

Ana,

That''s pretty good. There''s an inherent error in this technique that''s caused by the distance of the camera from the gemston as it relates to the depth and diameter of the stone. If you didn''t take the picture, you can''t account for this and viewing distance isn''t one of the variables in DC anyway. The result is that the photographic images don''t exactly match the DC models. This difference is most obvious when you try to match the Star facets. Most of us have been doing this using Idealscope images and they are much worse for this problem than the desktop ASET because the camera lens is so much closer to the stone. There are some issues with getting a decent image out of the ASET but I''m reasonably confident that this will be resolved and that this technique will prove to be a very useful ''reality check'' linking the various computer models, raw measurement data, and photographic images together.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
this is the link to the instructions
http://www.ideal-scope.com/Using%20DC_files/frame.htm
For future reference we put it up as newsletter #7 on ideal-scope.com

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
HI Garry

Do you have a file that does the cushion shape on DC?

I lloked into getting an image on one and cushion isn''t in the list.

Rockdoc

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2005 11:19:57 PM
Author: RockDoc

HI Garry

Do you have a file that does the cushion shape on DC?

I lloked into getting an image on one and cushion isn''t in the list.

Rockdoc
Roc there is not a lot of standardized cushion formats - so I think that is why they are not there.
Do this:

1. you can use the round and the square deviation on the top of the first advanced tab to make a RBC cushion shaped.

2. You can create a .srn file of an oval like the one you want, then change the proportions of that stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results