shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ring wearing scientists?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ring a ring

Rough_Rock
Unsure if this is the right section to post this but I''m a scientist and wear gloves everyday at work. Anyone have any experience with ring and glove compatability ie. want to be able to wear the ring without getting holes in gloves but not overly partial on the bezel or tension settings.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rock,

This is a common problem for people in the medical field because they put on and remove gloves so frequently. First, choose a design with a low profile. If you like the look of prongs, avoid the ones where the prongs come together below the stone. Instead, look for the kind where there is a hole directly behind the stone. Avoid fancy shapes with points. Pick a mounting with some metal around the setting so that the pongs are low compared to the neighboring portions of the ring. This will help the gloves slide smoothly over it.

By the way, try to keep it clean. The powder that the golves have in them to make them slide on and off easier is hard on the polish of the ring (it has no affect on the diamond).

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I am a scientist in the Bio-Pharmaceutical field and wear gloves whenever I work in the lab. I recently upgraded my e-ring and was concerned about wearing gloves because I wanted to wear my e-ring at all times and enjoy it.

I have my upgraded ring now for more than 6 weeks and have no problems with putting the gloves on or getting tears in it. I have a Vatche X-prong setting. It is a realatively low four prong setting. (Photos)

BTW, I wear nitrile gloves with no powder, since powder is a possible contaminant in the kind of chemical analyses I do. The only effect I have seen with wearing these gloves is that my RHR that had a rough "sand-blasted" surface -sorry can''t think what the right word is at the moment - has become smooth and shiny.

Good luck
Maya

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a ring wearing scientist, and my ring violates several of Neil's good points - I have a pear (fancy shape with a point) and my setting doesn't have metal around the prongs. However, I very rarely wear gloves that fit REALLY snug, and when I do, I follow the advice I got in a CPR class - flip your ring around so the stone (high part) is on your palm because the gloves have more give there. Don't know if that'll work for you, but there you go.

ETA: I've never had my ring break through a pair of gloves, in almost a year of owning the ring and wearing gloves daily.

Here's some pics of my ring, 0.38ct pear.

JCJDpear2.jpg
JCJDpear3.jpg

Ring a ring

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks everyone. I was expecting no one to reply
1.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I do know of a cliam made about 18 months ago where the ring slid off the hand when removing the gloves after a surgery procedure. The ring stuck inside the glove and the glove was disposed of.

Fortunately in this claim the wearer had a Chubb policy and settled things very quickly.

But you should be extra attentive and cautious on the days when the ring feels a bit loose. Get in the habit of looking at your hand before the glove is tossed in the hazardous waste bin.

Gloves with powder can be a nightmare for keeping the diamond clean. A good ultrasonic cleaner and steamer is good to have for keeping the ring looking optimal.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results