shape
carat
color
clarity

Any recommendations for a setting for my 1.76 c diamond ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Well..I received a ring on July 13th, and today, over a month later, I still cannot wear it because it has been reset three times, very WRONG and different from what I wanted. The first time it looked wonderful, but was reset in a different head due to a prong breaking off. I picked it up yesterday, and the prongs are HUGE again, covering far too much of the diamond. My 1.76 carat diamond now looks like a 1.25 because there is so little of the diamond now showing, and so much metal! This has been a real nightmare! I guess what I am forced to do is dish out more $$ and start over with a new setting etc. The store will no longer help me out, claiming I am being too picky. The ring I picked up yesterday has prongs that catch on everything, the head is leaning to one side, the prongs are semi-polished, and some prongs have eneven, and big gaps from the setter using the wrong tool to create the grooves that hold the girdle of the diamond. I refuse to ship my diamond anywhere out of the country, so I would like to know if there is a ring mount made by a Vendor online that will ship the item to me here in Canada, and hopefully have a GOOD setter reset my diamond for the 4th time! Any recommendations would be great. I don''t care what the mount looks like at this point, something plain gold (no side diamonds) with the head in a 2 carat size already inlcuded. I just want something that will make my diamond pop, the focus being on the diamond, and not the prongs! Thanks

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Im so sorry you are having such a hard time
39.gif
and that your jeweler is being so difficult
38.gif
Since I am in the US I cant recommend anyone
7.gif
, but I really do hope you get this resolved soon.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Pic of the ring when I first received it (nice tapered claw like prongs)

First time it was set.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
2nd time diamond was set, with who knows what you call those prongs!

second reset.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I will take pics of my ring as it is now, as soon as camera battery re-charges. Be forewarned, the prongs cover alot of the diamond, and almost touch the table of the diamond!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2007 5:45:57 PM
Author: beau13
I will take pics of my ring as it is now, as soon as camera battery re-charges. Be forewarned, the prongs cover alot of the diamond, and almost touch the table of the diamond!
yikes2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic of the ring now! It''s hard to tell in pics, I can''t quite capture it, but the prongs come over the edge of the diamond, and take up alot of surface area on that diamond. They are thick and chunky, the head leans towards on side a bit, the prongs are jagged, and some bits of metal are polished right. I will try to take better pics tomorrow.

long prongs!.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, the second picture does look a little "interesting."

Beau, have you looked at whiteflash.com at all? WF is recommended by many PSers and it ships to Canada. They have stock settings and do custom work.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, that is awful. What is wrong with them? You are NOT being too picky, they are incompetent.

Do you have a side shot?

I would feel the need to reset that as well. That is SO not OK.

I hate to throw a worry at you, but do you think its possible they chipped the stone and thats why they wanted to cover so much of it up?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
You know what Amy...funny you should mention the chip, because I thought I did notice a much wider spot on the girdle, when it came back the 2nd time. I wasn''t sure if it was a chip, or just a wider part on the girdle. It did feel a bit rough. I didn''t mention it, and thought that if it was a chip, it would have been brought to my attention when it was re-set the third time. I just e-mailed the store, asking if that had been "mentioned", because if it is chipped, I don''t think I should be keeping a chipped diamond. Who, knows, maybe after all these attempts to make it right, all the money spent, time invested, I may just demand a refund afterall!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
beau13, what a mess! I''m so sorry you''re going through this! The first pic had gorgeous delicate prongs! Why couldn''t they do those again? The second prongs were just strange and these now are rediculious! I am SO sorry! I went through Whiteflash and they are wonderful, I trust them 150%!!!!!!!!! Maybe they can help you somehow?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I was told that "Stuller" told my saleslady, that the prongs they supplied, "twin prong" head, should NOT have been altered, or tapered as they were the first time. They became too weak (which caused one to break off 2 days after I received the ring), and said they look nice, but for the sake of "diamond security", the setter would only replace the head, and set the stone according to "Stuller's recommendations", hence the bulky, squared off look in the second pic above. I freaked, thinking, that looks NOTHING like it did the first time, and the saleslady said to me "wear it for a few days, you'll get used to it, and love it"...NOT!! Are there mounts that Whiteflash can ship that have the head built in, so that all my jeweler would have to do, is drop in the diamond, and tighten the prongs? Thanks

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to say that if my diamond is slightly chipped, how would that affect my diamond? I mean, if it is reset, and a prong covers the chip, it shouldn''t cause any furthur problems should it? I am so confused as to what to do. Should I tell my saleslady to have the diamond removed to see if it is indeed chipped? If it is NOT chipped, and just a wider part of the girdle, won''t I look stupid? Should I just ask for a refund given the grief this whole diamond ring experience has been? If it is chipped at the fault of their setter, shouldn''t they replace the diamond with one of equal size, color, clairty? This has never happened to me before, so I am unsure as to what the policies/procedures might be. Thanks gals!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
If you are still able to get a full refund on your stone, as much as you like it, I would return it and get your money over and start over. There are lots of reputable places that ship to Canada.

I have heard whiteflash does.

Sorry you are going through this. A ring is supposed to bring joy, not frustration!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I am looking into it now. The only thing is, I don''t think I will find another 1.76 c diamond that is SI1, H color, for $9000 CDN (which is closer to $ 8000 US), I also got the taxes included which saved 15% or a savings of $ 1350 (for paying it in cash!) I looked at bluenile, and a couple other places, and they were more expensive, PLUS I have to pay tazes, duty, custom fees...etc, when the itme comes here from the US. Also, it is nice to actually see the diamond before dishing out the $$. Thanks

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2007 10:45:00 AM
I forgot to say that if my diamond is slightly chipped, how would that affect my diamond?

I am confused, are you saying your diamond is all ready chipped and one of the current prongs of your current setting is covering the chip?

I mean, if it is reset, and a prong covers the chip, it shouldn''t cause any furthur problems should it? I am so confused as to what to do.

I would think that largely depends on the location, nature, and size of the chip.

Should I tell my saleslady to have the diamond removed to see if it is indeed chipped? If it is NOT chipped, and just a wider part of the girdle, won''t I look stupid? Should I just ask for a refund given the grief this whole diamond ring experience has been? If it is chipped at the fault of their setter, shouldn''t they replace the diamond with one of equal size, color, clairty? This has never happened to me before, so I am unsure as to what the policies/procedures might be. Thanks gals!

It has been my experience that few bench jewellers will undertake a resetting job (aka setting a diamond you did not purchase from them) without you signing a waiver.
cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2007 1:17:38 PM
Thanks, I am looking into it now. The only thing is, I don''t think I will find another 1.76 c diamond that is SI1, H color, for $9000 CDN (which is closer to $ 8000 US).

Altho the Canadian Dollar has dropped slighly in the last week compared to the USD, I think the exchange would be a bit better than that, probably closer to 85 or $8600.

I also got the taxes included which saved 15% or a savings of $ 1350 (for paying it in cash!) I looked at bluenile, and a couple other places, and they were more expensive, PLUS I have to pay tazes, duty, custom fees...etc, when the itme comes here from the US. Also, it is nice to actually see the diamond before dishing out the $$. Thanks

Just to clarify, there are no longer excise taxes on jewellery when importing them to Canada. You pay only the $$ exchange rate and GST.
Sorry to make two posts--I could not cut and paste these two replies into one box!! Are you in Eastern Canada? As I could recommend some excellent jewellers where I live (Calgary).

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results