shape
carat
color
clarity

Any reason NOT to purchase this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dennis366

Rough_Rock

I just got the numbers. Looks pretty terrific to me, any other feedback anyone can give on this stone? I''m set to pay for it the morning of Feb 14th, so any last minute advice would be terrific!

1.764ct J VVS2
7.71 - 7.77 x 4.80
Table: 56%
Depth: 62.1%
Crown: 34.5* - 15.0%
Pavilion: 41.0* - 43.3%

HCA: 1.9 - Excellent (Light: Ex; Fire, Scint, Spread: VG)

In contrast, would any once suggest I take the following instead? Both are similarly priced (within $600) and AGS 000 cut. This second one is an H&A, I''m not sure if the first one is or not.
1.722ct J SI1
7.77 - 7.79 x 4.71
Table: 55%
Depth: 60.6%
Crown: 34.8* - 15.5%
Pavilion: 40.7* - 42.9%

HCA: 1.0 - Excellent (Light, Fire, Scint: EX; Spread: VG)

With my limited knowledge, I''m guessing that the 2nd one will appear equally as big b/c of a smaller overall depth, though does the 1% smaller table offset that? The second seems to have a slightly better HCA result, but the 1st is 3 steps better in clarity for very little extra, and I''m afraid the two inclusions on the table face of the 2nd may drive me crazy if I can make them out in person - I''ve generally been able to see inclusions in the table on SI1''s that I''ve looked at in the past.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the better cut diamond, #2. Ask your vendor if the second one is eyeclean. SI1''s can be a great deal if you can find an eyeclean stone.

Good luck!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have IS images for them?

lisaapple

Rough_Rock
Hi, I will go with the first diamond with VVS clarity because is has a higher resale value than the second one. In the future if you want to exchange to a large diamond, VVS clarity diamond will have higher value and is easy to sale than the SI daimond.

Angie!!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 5:15:02 AM
Author: lisaapple
Hi, I will go with the first diamond with VVS clarity because is has a higher resale value than the second one. In the future if you want to exchange to a large diamond, VVS clarity diamond will have higher value and is easy to sale than the SI daimond.

Angie!!!
Angie, A diamond is not an investment.

Go with number 2. I like the depth and the numbers better. A 1 on the HCA and an H&A to boot. It doesn''t get any better.

shay

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2006 10:27:18 AM
Author: Shay37

Angie!!!
Angie, A diamond is not an investment.

Go with number 2. I like the depth and the numbers better. A 1 on the HCA and an H&A to boot. It doesn''t get any better.

shay

Ditto Shay. Number 2 looks as if it could be great!
30.gif
30.gif

esguy27

Shiny_Rock
Without a doubt, #2

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I think vvs2 is overkill. You are paying for something you cannot see. As to SI stones , they vary. If you are buying from a Pricescope vendor, ask them if it is perfectly eye clean or meets your standards for eye clean. In my case, with Whiteflash, Lesley turned down stones that listed as SI but, after speaking with the dealer, she determined that they had some visible imperfections. There is no profit in taking a stone out of circulation and then having it returned so most vendors who will send for the stone or have it in inventory will tell you the truth.

And dealers are usually honest with vendors because they have an ungoing relationship that would not last if they were sending out stones that were not as described. Lesley finally found me a perfectly eye clean SI 2. I had them send it to an appraiser where I could see it before I paid. I have the stone nearly two years and still cannot spot the inclusions with my naked eye although they are clearly visible through a loupe.

As to vvs2 having better resale value, I do not think this is true. Unless you are buying from a place with a generous trade-up policy, you will probably take a significan loss no matter which stone you tried to sell on your own. I do not think investment value should influence your decision.Unless inclusions you cannot see without a loupe would bother you I would look into the second stone and find out if it is really eye clean.

Diamonds are not a good investment unless they are very rare, costly stones. In fact, the better cut may hold up in value since it will probably be more attractive, especially in the J color since a really lively stone may face up better.

The one question I have, and maybe one of the experts can anwer it, is why the second stone which is shallower than the first only has a V.G. spread rating.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Solange, I ADORE your magnificent ring, it's gorgeous and an absolute dream! Whoopee for eyeclean SI diamonds!
emotion-19.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, my opinion is that both stones have an HCA of Excellent, they are the same size, so by all means, I would want the VVS2!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock

Angie!!!

Actually, this is not the case, especially with a J color stone.

Do either of these stones come with a trade-up policy?

Assuming the SI1 is eyeclean (and you would have to see it for yourself to know for certain), I would go for this one. The cut seems a bit better and it''s a little less expensive. Can you see either or both of these stones before making a decision? What is the return policy?

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone #2 hands down from the information you gave!!! It will be a smidge better cut but I just like the proportions/dimensions better too and no need to pay for VVS, I always believe in more of a balance and if you are working with a vendor who has an upgrade policy, it doesn''t matter re: resale since you get the upgrade value of whatever you pay today anyway.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results