shape
carat
color
clarity

Any reason not to inscribe stone?????

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
I have the opinion of my resident expert.... (Thanks DS!!!) but I always enjoy hearing the opinions of others.....

Can anyone think of any reason as to why I would not want to have my diamond I just purchased inscribed?

I don't know it is necessary, but the vendor is willing to do it for no charge, and it won't increase the turn around time on my ring at all.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
only with the certificate number In my Opinion I wouldnt put my name or my husband. Keep it simple in case the stone is to be sold or upgraded or even passed down

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
I would not do a personalized inscription, GIA cert # only, in case of a need in the future to identify the stone in case of a need for verification it wasn't swapped, ID in the event of theft, etc.

The inscription would not be done by GIA though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once saw a diamond in which the girdle inscription was visible in the top view under a loupe.
The diamond was either an asscher or emerald cut.
I doubt this could happen with other cuts because they do not have large blank facet areas.

It certainly would not be visible to the naked eye, and you'd have to line up the camera/loupe/diamond and your eye just right to see it.

If I had an Emerald cut or asscher that was graded flawless or internally flawless clarity I would not laser inscribe the girdle, but that's just me.

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1370995972|3463788 said:
I once saw a diamond in which the girdle inscription was visible in the top view under a loupe.
The diamond was either an asscher or emerald cut.
I doubt this could happen with other cuts because they do not have large blank facet areas.

It certainly would not be visible to the naked eye, and you'd have to line up the camera/loupe/diamond and your eye just right to see it.

If I had an Emerald cut or asscher that was graded flawless or internally flawless clarity I would not laser inscribe the girdle, but that's just me.

Its a 1.20 I VVS1 Princess.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
If you inscribe it, it won't exactly match the certificate (if you have one). Don't know whether that's a problem.

I wouldn't want anything but the certificate number on the diamond, but that's just me. If you know you'll never want to sell or trade it, then maybe you want the "neato" factor of a custom inscription. Otherwise, that may make the diamond less appealing to someone else.

liz

parnassus0550

Rough_Rock
Trade
On a vvs1, i'd worry about the quality of the inscription. Make sure the person who's inscribing it knows what's he's doing and his machine is calibrated properly. I've seen inscriptions that break into the stone and become an inclusion. Adding another inclusion to your vvs1 or possibly making it a vvs2.

If you trust them, put the cert info on it. Anything else i'd engrave on the band. Easier to show off.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matching inclusions to the plots on a grading report are a much better way, than a laser inscription, to assure a stone matches the report.

jmarshall

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1370998725|3463819 said:
Matching inclusions to the plots on a grading report are a much better way, than a laser inscription, to assure a stone matches the report.

I was more concerned with an easy way to ID the stone at a pawn shop, etc in the case of theft.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jmarshall|1370999256|3463823 said:
kenny|1370998725|3463819 said:

I was more concerned with an easy way to ID the stone at a pawn shop, etc in the case of theft.

Getting to know your inclusions is easy and foolproof.
An unethical employee with access to her/his company's laser inscriber could theoretically inscribe any diamond with any false inscription.
Not likely, but possible.

Recognizing your inclusions is safer and FREE.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't let anyone but a gem lab inscribe a stone.

diamond-enthusiast

Rough_Rock
Learning to match inclusions is a better way to ID stones. Laser inscriptions can be easily polished off. Well, that's not to say inclusions can't be. But it makes the entire process much tougher. In the event that you really lose your stone, chances are slim that you will get it back with or without a laser inscription.

darkadam

Rough_Rock
O_O i can't seem to see it in the plot either....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results