shape
carat
color
clarity

Any professional photographers here, or any taking courses?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I am very interested in photography (as more than a hobby). I enjoy playing around with pics, adding special effects, playing with black & white, sepia..etc. I am waiting for a course to be offered at a College here in my hometown..however they are not sure when it will be offered again. (told me to call back mid August). Anyway..I am wondering if there are any great online tutorials..or sites with valuable/helpful information for someone like myself trying to get started? I played around with a couple photos that were taken with my crappy Sony Cybershot. I am looking at getting a Nikon or Cannon digital with a great lens. Any camera recs would be greatly appreciated as well. I love how this pic turned out in sepia, with some shading...

My Beloved diamond solitaire.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I thought this one of me turned out fairly neat looking, again with some shading, and color manipulation. I have the creativity to create some fabulous pics with the right camera, and some guidance..it''s so much fun!! Again, I would be very interested in any courses, training that you know of that would help me.

Special effects KIMMIE.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Yay, a fellow camera geek!
9.gif

I am a learner still, but I spend almost all my free time (that I''m not looking at diamonds...heh) shooting. I just recieved a Nikon D60 with an 18-55mm lens and I am waiting anxiously for a macro lens next. I shoot constantly, all the time, and I am always learning new tricks. Lighting is my biggest issue so far - it''s the hardest part of photography! - but I watch strobist all the time. Plus I am a part of a lot of groups on flickr, and I have a friend that is a professional photographer that has taken me on a shoot recently to help teach. I definitly recommend flickr if you have the time - so many people are willing to help you learn.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks MonkeyPie, I never heard of Flickr..I will google it, and check it out most definitely! I know the body of the camera is not as important as the lens, so what do you suggest for the glass? (lens)? I am thinking of the Canon Rebel (told by a professional photographer around here, that for just under $1000 that is his pick!)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have had a Canon in the past, and I loved it - easy to use, very straightforward with the settings, and it had tons of options. Nikon and Canon are my favorites.

As for the lens - what type of photography do you do the most? If you do a lot of macro (like the one of your ring) then you will need a specific lens, but if you tend to shoot more portraits and similar things, the standard 18-55mm lens to fit your Rebel will be fine. If you shoot long range, you''ll need something special, too. I tend to stick to 18-55 most of the time, but I can''t tell you how many times I have wished for a telescopic lens! It all really depends on what you want to do, and how experienced you are in switching the lenses out quickly if you want to carry them seperately.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Although I''m not much of a photographer, my hubby is. He just bought a Nikon D300 (and gave me his D80). We really like the Nikon family of products. He has many lenses but the 18-200VR is the one he uses most often because it covers a wide range of shooting conditions. He also just bought a 70-200VR which has very high quality optics and is considered professional quality. He decided he wants to start printing, matting and selling his own photos so he recently purchased a Epson 4880 printer and professional mat cutter. The printer is huge and expensive so I hope he starts selling some of his work soon!!

Here''s a link to some of his amateur photos. LINK The more he reads and learns the better his photos turn out.

He frequents a couple of websites since he is pretty much self taught. Here are his recommendations for info on the web...

www.kenrockwell.com He''s kind of controversial so some people like him and others don''t. He updates his site often, but you''d want to follow up on the information presented and make your own judgement.

www.dpreview.com is a great source for news information and also has forums that cover all brands (although forum members can be a little bit snarky).

www.luminous-landscape.com has great information regarding news items, superb forums and DH has purchased just about all of the videos available on the site. He''s learning a lot!! As a matter of fact, I bought him a copy of Adobe Lightroom based on one of the videos tutorials he purchased on the site.

www.bythom.com is a website for Nikon only and presents info by someone who is well respected in the industry. His ''eGuide'' books to various camera models are typically considered the best available.

Hope that helps!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my latest favorite. He was out on the crappiest overcast day in Chicago on the stinky Chicago river (I can say that because we live on the river) with all these seagulls flying around. I didn''t get it... until I saw this photo.

DSC_1269sm.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Portia! What a great photo! Beau, I've always loved photos, but I'm just starting out. Sorry I can't help. I'm actually thinking of taking a beginner's course. What sites would you recommend for someone just starting out? My FI and I just bought new cameras, and we're interested in taking a course together.

ETA: sorry to threadjack, Beau.

ETA2: Portia, I rememer that thread. Your husband is very talented! I love his work.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Portia, what a FANTASTIC picture..hubby is talented! Thanks for the tips, and links, I will defintitely be checking them out! Monkeypie, I think I will use the camera to take alot of action shots (kids play competitive hockey), so a lens that will get a great close up will be best I assume! I will keep reading, familiarizing myself with this new information you all provided. Thanks

Sparkle_Girl

Shiny_Rock
BEUA!!! YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!! wow you should be a model not a photographer!!!!!sheeesh!
face23.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Beau, I know you were looking at a Rebel, but if you decide to go Nikon:
This or it''s Canon counterpart will work VERY well for what you have intended.

When I get home tonight I''ll get you a link to a Tokina that is my dream lens. Oh, yes it is.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I know a professional sports photographer, who swears by Nikon bodies and lenses (bought a D3 last year, was one of the first people in Ireland to get one), and recommends the Fuji Finepix cameras for amateurs. Also highly rates the Ken Rockwell site.

I might be wrong here, but IIRC I think a lot of 'formal' courses over here recommend you start off on film for a while in addition to the digital. Supposedly it encourages you to fine tune your technique because just messing around gets expensive fast
2.gif
Or maybe that's just what's done over here. We're probably behind the times.

Me, I can't take a good photo to save my life. The ones on this thread are gorgeous!!!
30.gif

ETA - beau I think you mentioned before that you are a model, no? Didn't you mention a photoshoot with high heeled boots? How'd it go?
1.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2008 10:22:00 AM
Author: Delster
I know a professional sports photographer, who swears by Nikon bodies and lenses (bought a D3 last year, was one of the first people in Ireland to get one), and recommends the Fuji Finepix cameras for amateurs. Also highly rates the Ken Rockwell site.

I might be wrong here, but IIRC I think a lot of ''formal'' courses over here recommend you start off on film for a while in addition to the digital. Supposedly it encourages you to fine tune your technique because just messing around gets expensive fast
2.gif
Or maybe that''s just what''s done over here. We''re probably behind the times.
Mmm....D300...so jealous. That is one amazing camera.

And usually the classes encourage you to do film here too, but that''s because they prefer you do as little post-editing as possible. Anybody can be good nowadays with photoshop and RAW files. I try really hard to avoid any post-editing because it makes me work harder to get a good shot, and play with my settings more.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2008 10:22:00 AM
Author: Delster

I might be wrong here, but IIRC I think a lot of ''formal'' courses over here recommend you start off on film for a while in addition to the digital. Supposedly it encourages you to fine tune your technique because just messing around gets expensive fast
2.gif
Or maybe that''s just what''s done over here. We''re probably behind the times.

Me, I can''t take a good photo to save my life. The ones on this thread are gorgeous!!!
30.gif

ETA - beau I think you mentioned before that you are a model, no? Didn''t you mention a photoshoot with high heeled boots? How''d it go?
1.gif
LOL..NO, I am not a model, I do get asked from time to time to model wedding gowns, clothes (fashion shows locally), and things like the "biker babes" photoshoot..which isn''t until late August. I prefer to take pics of other people though. If all goes well..maybe I will master my new camera, put my creative abilities to work, and create some great photography which might turn into a home based business for me, then I can capture gals in high heels, on motorcycles, and create fabulous ads/displays for local retailers! lol

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2008 8:57:28 AM
Author: Sparkle_Girl
BEUA!!! YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!! wow you should be a model not a photographer!!!!!sheeesh!
face23.gif
Thanks SparkleGril..didn''t see this thread until just now. I prefer to be behind the camera than in front of it..unless my hair/makeup gets done professionally, then I tend to be "not so camera shy".lol. The pics I post are just fun/silly snapshots that my son (13 yrs) has taken for the most part. I think he likes carrying around a camera too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results