shape
carat
color
clarity

Any opinions on this turquoise ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I love the design of this turquoise ring, but I have absolutely no idea of the quality of the stone.. What kind of things should you be wary of when purchasing turquoise (apart from the fact that it is a soft stone)?
FYI, the vendor''s description of the ring is as follows:
"...Surrounded by pretty white diamonds, this smooth turquoise cabochon measures 18mm by 14mm and is set in 18ct white gold. This unique ring has been beautifully finished, including the row of white diamonds along the shoulder of the band and the floral design cut out detail on the back of the piece..."

I know one should always ask the vendor re quality of the gemstones etc., but I just wanted to know what everyone thought of it at first glance; general advice on purchasing turquoise would be great too!
Thanks in advance.

Turq1AC271209.jpg

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Another pic..
(Please note that I have not purchased the ring...)

Turq2AC271209.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on you really as I''m afraid it''s impossible to tell from photos. Quality is so important for Turquoise. If this is a reconstituted gem then it''s worth much less than one how nature intended it to be. However if it''s very low in price and you want it just to wear to make a statement of colour and are not worried about quality then it''s a pretty ring.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
LovingDiamonds - Thanks so much for your kind advice.

The item is sold at Astley Clarke, a UK based online jewelry store (www.astleyclarke.com; product no D21156); the ring is priced at £685 (approx USD 1,093), reduced from £995 (USD 1,588), so not that cheap...
38.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Buying turquoise can be so tricky, as LD mentioned. For that price, you should certainly ask if it is reconstituted or chalk turquoise. Also ask if it dyed or not and origin, if possible. Is it a one of a kind or is it a stock photo?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmmmmmmm well, as Lady D says, for that kind of money you DEFINITELY want to make sure you''re getting a top quality Turquoise. Astley Clarke sell "designer" jewellery but that doesn''t always, unfortunately, mean quality but it does mean high prices. I suspect it will still be there on Tuesday when the shops open so if you can bear it, wait until then and give them a call.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lady_Disdain & LovingDiamonds.
I was not aware of so many potential treatments on turquoise.. (need to do some google research.. )

Lady_Disdain - the ring, although not mass produced, is not one of a kind, and the photos on their website are stock photos..

LovingDiamonds - I am not that desperate to have the ring, so I will not hit the purchase button without asking questions first.. I also think the price is a bit too steep anyway, so unless they reduce further, I probably will not go for it..

Thanks again for your help!
5.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
With gemstones (and opaque ones especially, due to lack of tell tale inclusions), it''s more important who you buy from, than what you buy. Do they offer a certificate? At least some written guarantee that the stone is natural? Do they know specifics of treatments? Is there a money back guarantee (in case you don''t like it after all)? Doing some research online never hurts before purchasing gemstones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results