shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Opal lovers out there? Show and Tell please.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL, the honey ones are the most gorgeous Ethiopian opals, IMHO.

I have some...Most black Ethiopian opals are irradiated....these are natural colors. Photos in different lighting conditions.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that a smoke process can also be used to enhance black Ethiopian opal as well, and of course dye is a common treatment for body color.

Nice stones Seaglow.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know that a smoke process can also be used to enhance black Ethiopian opal as well, and of course dye is a common treatment for body color.

Nice stones Seaglow.
I have yet to see a natural 'black' Ethiopian opal without enhancements. The darkest I could find (as seen in my earlier post) is still a chocolate in intense lighting. I picked it out from a lot composed of whites and honeys and anything in between. It was the only one with the darkest body color.

Does the smoke process give permanent color?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure about the permanence of the smoke process, but I do know that some dyes are water soluble. If you leave these types of opals submerged in water, the dyed color will bleed out if them and color the water. GIA has an article on this.

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/FA13-GNI-dyed-fire-opal-lai

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The opals on the photos of the GIA looks unnatural. I also watched videos of the smoked opals after you mentioned it. They are indeed black.

If anyone has a natural untreated black Ethiopian opal (if it exists), please show us! I've seen natural blacks in Australians but not in Ethiopians.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ad far as I'm aware there are no natural black Ethiopian opals. ALL (ethopian) black ones are considered smoked.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I can add to this thread again as I just received my Mother's Day/Birthday present. I am in love with everyone's opals! IMG_1979[1].jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I can add to this thread again as I just received my Mother's Day/Birthday present. I am in love with everyone's opals! IMG_1979[1].jpg
Good lord, that's just stunning! You must be so happy! Congratulations.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of these were bought and set by OpalsbyMargie on Etsy. A Lightning ridge black opal and a white Australian opal. I love them! They have open backs.

20170519_155910_HDR.jpg

20170519_155614_HDR.jpg

20170519_153422_HDR.jpg

20170519_153413_HDR.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've got a couple of unique opals. One is a fossil boulder Ethiopian opal, 11.21carats, with some soil and what looks like bark frozen in time. Second is a not a jewelry but a carving but quite interesting. It is a carved Oregon pink opal octopus that sits on top of an Azurite-Malachite matrix rough from Laos. Together the octopus looks like it sits on top of a coral reef.

image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpeg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've got a couple of unique opals. One is a fossil boulder Ethiopian opal, 11.21carats, with some soil and what looks like bark frozen in time. Second is a not a jewelry but a carving but quite interesting. It is a carved Oregon pink opal octopus that sits on top of an Azurite-Malachite matrix rough from Laos. Together the octopus looks like it sits on top of a coral reef.

WOW. I'd love to come play at your house!!!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You probably have the most varieties of gemstones at PS. A lot of your gemstones are new to me. The most shocking part is that you have every kind of gems in parcels, not individuals.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You probably have the most varieties of gemstones at PS. A lot of your gemstones are new to me. The most shocking part is that you have every kind of gems in parcels, not individuals.

Thanks but I really don't. I don't collect ultra rare gemstones though I encounter them. I have a few but they were mostly given or are curious enough for me to buy them. I collect gems that can be set in jewellery. Recently just going on spinel hunts while I can still afford them!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Combined fossil and sparkly opal? Yes, please! :mrgreen2:
Seriously though, I think that is really neat. It must be so cool to look at in person. :D

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Outstanding, Seaglow! The one with the dirt is precious!! And the octopus is so amazing.

oceanopals

Rough_Rock
This is not mine, but I visited it on several occasions at the jewelry store. It's a fine example of what I call a "sherbert" colored Welo opal. You can clearly see both the greenish blue and orange. The photo doesn't do it justice.

IMG_5054.JPG
This is not mine, but I visited it on several occasions at the jewelry store. It's a fine example of what I call a "sherbert" colored Welo opal. You can clearly see both the greenish blue and orange. The photo doesn't do it justice.

IMG_5054.JPG

Hi T L! This is such a beauty. I like this opal pendant so much! Do you know if where I can buy this pendant and the price if you don't mind sharing? thank you!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice black opal has been on my "someday" list but never felt comfortable buying as I didn't feel I knew enough to make an educated purchase (and still don't lol). But when Chris Aueletta offered to sell his, I decided to take a chance as it met my criteria - on the blacker side of N scale/good bright flash coverage. Plus it looked like it might fit a setting that has been sitting in my box for ages and was ready to scrap. the only drawback was it was a low dome and thinner but my jeweler was able to set it and was a perfect fit!! It doesn't have the coveted red flash...but does have some orange/yellow flashes as you move. Thanks to Chris for working with me on this and another box checked.

ring_black opal 4.jpg ring_black opal 3.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice black opal has been on my "someday" list but never felt comfortable buying as I didn't feel I knew enough to make an educated purchase (and still don't lol). But when Chris Aueletta offered to sell his, I decided to take a chance as it met my criteria - on the blacker side of N scale/good bright flash coverage. Plus it looked like it might fit a setting that has been sitting in my box for ages and was ready to scrap. the only drawback was it was a low dome and thinner but my jeweler was able to set it and was a perfect fit!! It doesn't have the coveted red flash...but does have some orange/yellow flashes as you move. Thanks to Chris for working with me on this and another box checked.

ring_black opal 4.jpg ring_black opal 3.jpg

It's gorgeous!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nothing glam, but I picked up this Welo opal at a gem fair at a good price. The greens and some purplish blues on a reddish yellow jelly base remind me of the sea and the magma hiding under the seabed.

20171010_110938-1.jpg 20171008_151731-1.jpg
Set in a simple sterling silver setting plated with platinum.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing glam, but I picked up this Welo opal at a gem fair at a good price. The greens and some purplish blues on a reddish yellow jelly base remind me of the sea and the magma hiding under the seabed.

20171010_110938-1.jpg 20171008_151731-1.jpg
Set in a simple sterling silver setting plated with platinum.
Really lovely, Burmesedaze! It turned out beautifully. Adore your description of it too!

cdonnae

Rough_Rock
Birthday present from my husband, picked up while he was visiting Australia. Boulder opal bought at Fremantle Opals and custom set back home. Has beautiful ribbon patterning on either side and pin fire in the middle - and even a little Chinese writing patterning next to the ironstone that peeks on the surface. I’m in love - I see a new color every time I look at it. :love:

B611DBAA-F869-4D07-89F3-17554CB4431D.jpeg CBDE3FC3-8F8B-48E2-A2ED-6B7CD961D1DE.jpeg 4857120B-3CE2-410B-86B9-165692ECECE0.jpeg

Last edited:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Birthday present from my husband, picked up while he was visiting Australia. Boulder opal bought at Fremantle Opals and custom set back home. Has beautiful ribbon patterning on either side and pin fire in the middle - and even a little Chinese writing patterning next to the ironstone that peeks on the surface. I’m in love - I see a new color every time I look at it. :love:

B611DBAA-F869-4D07-89F3-17554CB4431D.jpeg CBDE3FC3-8F8B-48E2-A2ED-6B7CD961D1DE.jpeg 4857120B-3CE2-410B-86B9-165692ECECE0.jpeg
Your new rainbow is gorgeous! Happy birthday!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results