shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ladies have meteorite in their ring? esp with halo?

Acl

Rough_Rock
Im considering a meteorite inlay for my partner's engagement ring - she used to be a rocket scientist and is still quite a space fanatic - so I think she'll love it.

Does anyone have any experience with meteorite inlay on a woman's ring?

I have a few concerns about it, namely:
- will the band be too wide? (I'm told 3mm is the narrowest band for the meteorite inlay)
- will a designer who specializes in meteorite (which seems to be mostly used in men's bands) be able to create an amazing halo mounting which I'd like set on top?
- will the dullness of the meteorite detract from an otherwise shiny ring?

I am purchasing a 9.5mm round sapphire, and am planning on a halo setting. I originally found this ring:

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 9.47.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 9.48.04 AM.png

but then I saw a post by Frankie showing her halo ring from Victor Canera, and the halo is amazing, makes the above halo look a bit clunky.

10_2.jpg 5_2.jpg

I'm afraid I won't be able to get the meteorite and this beautiful of a halo from the same jeweler... I'd love to see any pictures if anyone has an engagement ring with meteorite, or has thoughts about a jeweler who I should talk to about this ring. Thanks!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC, meteorite contains iron which rusts. Folks either love or hate the color change.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC, meteorite contains iron which rusts. Folks either love or hate the color change.
I think that as long as you dry the ring if you get it wet, there shouldn't be any issues. I believe you can also give it a once over with something to reduce oxidisation - perhaps a light wax?

Acl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the heads up, I am aware of the iron content and rust issues. I've done some research on that and read several PS threads as well, and feel pretty confident in regards to preventing and dealing with the rust. Now I'm just hung up on the other concerns I mentioned, band width, and whether I'll have to sacrifice setting design/ craftsmanship in order to get meteorite.

Acl

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the links, unfortunately tension set won't be an option - both for a personal history reason, as well as because with a 9.5mm stone, that's going to be a pretty wide band to pull off a tension setting.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Only my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt but I don't like the look with a halo at all. To me it attempts to make a very pretty feminine setting more masculine and I don't think that works. However I love the sentiment behind your idea. What about designing an amazing right hand ring incorporating it to give to your future wife on your wedding day? I could imagine it looking really cool with a solitaire colored stone.

Acl

Rough_Rock
meely, thanks for the input, I am considering holding off on the meteorite altogether in order to just be able to focus on the setting, and maybe incorporate the meteorite into the wedding band or another piece of jewelry which she won't wear as often (because of the maintenance required for meteorite).

Which halo do you not like? The first or second? Or you just don't like halo settings in general?

Having looked at a few, I agree that the first one looks a bit masculine, which is sort of what i meant when I said it felt clunky compared to the second. The second one however, I personally feel is still very feminine. I'm also pretty confident that my partner likes the halo style.

Additionally, Sapphires are hard, but not quite as hard as diamonds, and I feel the halo may add an extra layer of protection for the sapphire from accidental bumps or chips caused by my somewhat accident prone partner :D

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m joining late, but the sapphire in your inspiration ring is probably only 5mm. So a 9.5mm (4 carat odd) is a lot bigger so the band will not look nearly as fat and clunky. Also the inspiration ring has tiny melee diamonds. If you up their size you get more diamond halo look and less metal halo look.
That said, I do like the idea of matching meteorite wedding bands. As for the rusting, whatever, to me that would be part of the charm. In fact I’d be tempted to do rose gold surround to match the rust effect. Cool.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't like the first one but it looks very poorly made in comparison to the second one. The victor canera one is stunning, I love halos! Presuming your girlfriend does as well? The two you posted are chalk and cheese and I would not pair a wedding band with meteorite in it with that one either I just don't think it would work as the styles are so different.

Acl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies all. Meely, I am starting to be of the same opinion. I have found anyone online who'd had a meteorite ring several years, few even months without dealing with rust. The rest of the ring will really be heirloom quality, so adding a potential rusting element into the mix seems too big a sacrifice, even given the significance and uniqueness factor.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are the right path with your idea of making a separate meteorite band instead of incorporating it into the engagement ring. Another thing to consider with meteorite is you can’t size the ring like you would a plain metal band. My husband has a meteorite band and the rust is very, very minimal so I wouldn’t let that discourage you. I’m not sure how thin you could get a meteorite band, but wonder if you could make it part of a stacker for wedding bands for her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results