shape
carat
color
clarity

Any kind soul care to offer their opinion on an OEC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

villagegrl

Rough_Rock
Can anyone interested in OEC stones and antique settings take a look at this ring and tell me your overall opinion on look of stone and price? http://www.tias.com/9207/PictPage/1923140498.html

I don''t know how some of you do it, but it seems many of you can judge a stone just by the pic. The place won''t let me get it independently appraised (crazy!), and I just can''t stop thinking about it and am too nervous to have it replicated, so I thought maybe some of you more knowledgeable folks are feeling kind and could offer your two cents??

I do have a copy of the EGL-USA(L.A.) cert, but it has some identifying info. on it that I''d rather not broadcast, and I can''t figure out how to omit it on a PDF. I can tell you: The culet is medium. The girdle is very thin to thin.There isn’t any fluorescence. The measurements are 8.43 X 8.19 X 5.27mm. The proportions are: Depth: 63.4%
Table:53% Crown: 17% Pavilion 43.8%. The polish is good, and the symmetry is fair to good. The price, color and clarity are provided on the website if you follow link.

What do you think? Anyone? Would we be crazy to go for it? THANKS so much for your opinion.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a gorgeous ring. what type of return policy do they have? i''d buy it, take it straight over to an independant apprasier and have it checked out and if everything looked good I''d proudly wear that ring on my finger...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. A bit concerned that they won''t let you get it appraised. You could check their return policy to see if you could "buy" it, appraise it, then return if necessary. I am concerned that the girdle is so thin. With an older stone, I''d be wondering if the girdle is chipped.

Good Luck

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I agree! Too funny. WE''re both trying to get it and look at it then return it!
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 4:01:14 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Beautiful ring. A bit concerned that they won't let you get it appraised. You could check their return policy to see if you could 'buy' it, appraise it, then return if necessary. I am concerned that the girdle is so thin. With an older stone, I'd be wondering if the girdle is chipped.

Good Luck

most old stones have ex. thin girdles so that isn't surprising, it all likelyhood there are tiny chips, the nature of an OEC. my OEC had 3 but as long as it doesn't affect the integrity of the stone, i wouldn't worry about. an independant appraisers opinion would be a must though for me.

Doyle and Doyle is a very reputable company so I wouldn't worry about being misled or duped.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very pretty ring but I probably would not buy from them because of their unreasonable return policy:

OUR RETURN POLICY: We''re certain you''ll be happy with your merchandise. We take extra care to fully describe our items, including any flaws. If you have any questions about the item(s) you are ordering, please use our question form to ask us about the item before placing your order.

If that rare occasion arises where you feel you must return an item, please contact us for return instructions within three (3) days (by phone or email) of receipt of your item(s). Upon our receipt and inspection of the returned item(s), we will issue a refund for your item(s) if returned in the same condition as it was when it was sent to you excluding any shipping/insurance costs for which you were responsible. Buyer is responsible for return shipping/insurance costs, which will not be reimbursed for any reason. Returned merchandise must be received by us within seven (7) days of the date from which you contact us regarding the return.

OUR RESTOCKING POLICY: A 5% restocking fee applies to all returns.

There''s not enough time to get this to an independent appraiser, and certainly the 5% return fee doesn''t help.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks chrono for looking that up.

the 3 days would be doable if doyle and doyle is local, not ideal, but doable, you''d have to have the appt. set up with the appraiser b/f you purchased. many times vendors will discuss other return options on a case by case basis so if I really loved the ring I would at least try if i needed more time to get it shipped appraised and then shipped back if i was unhappy. I would think if someone was going to spend 26K they would be willing to be somewhat accomodating, if not, then I''m with chrono, i''d probably keep looking for another antique gem.

villagegrl

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your responses. You have given me much to think about, and it is truly appreciated. Never even thought of purchasing, appraising and then returning. The restock fee would be around $1300, and I am just too sane to throw away that much money, even if ring shopping is proving otherwise!
2.gif
We do live near Doyle and Doyle though, so timing would not be a problem. I know they are a reputable place, but this rule of not taking the ring to an indep. appraisal is just ridiculous (especially at that steep price). I really don''t know how they sell anything??? I have asked 2 different salespeople, and they look at me like I am nuts to even ask. They truly seem confused and point out the cert. as proof enough. They say they can''t let someone else tell them the quality when they already know it, but I feel they don''t have to know the results I get from my appraiser, only we do to have peace of mind when spending SO much. How they don''t understand that is just plain weird, right? I too would think if they can make a whopping $26K they would be willing to work with us a little. I think we may need to be a little more assertive, and see what happens. THANKS AGAIN -

P.S. The online pic does not even do it justice, as I am sure you all know too well.
P.P.S. We were recently at Singlestone in L.A. They have some serious beauties, so if this Doyle ring will stop weighing on my mind, I can focus on those.
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
villagegrl, I understand that *they* may have confindence in the cert but that surely doesn''t mean you have to. when there is so much $ being sent, they should have enough confindence in their product to welcome the chance for you to take it to an independant appraiser and let them verify what the ring is what they are claiming it to be. they are asking you to spend 26K and trust them....ummmm I don''t think so. I would let them know you are very interested but will gladly spend your 26K elsewhere. A $1300 restocking fee is crazy. is the whole ring an antique? the setting isn''t a repro is it? if so, I''d probably pass on the whole deal and hunt down an authentic antique from a vendor who is much more willing to work to earn your $$.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
This looks repro. That stone was likely unmounted, repolished for clarity and certed at EGL. I am wondering if it''s not a J, SI1, which is the worst case scenario. If it''s a true H VS2 you are looking at $6000 for a likely repro setting and $6K over RAP. If it''s an EGL cert, you wouldn''t pay RAP price but more like getting a stone like that for closer to 5-15% OFF RAP is fair as retail.

If you look at worst case, the J SI1 you are looking at $12,500 for a rap price of such a stone. I would consider with a GIA cert at that range of specs it would be fair to maybe get 5% off RAP. Add cost of setting at maybe $1,500 MAX, and you are pretty much paying $10,000 at worst extra for something that can''t be returned.

It''s not a hard look to reproduce, as I think this one is repro...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results