shape
carat
color
clarity

Any incentives from WF for PS members?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
WF offered me a very nice discount.
The service is also great !
They sent me a picture, certificate picture, IdealScope picture of the diamond and a Sarin.
If I had to ask for more the next time it would be:
“¿Could you send me .srn & .gem file, please?”
BScope would also be nice, even if it isn''t 100% precise.
The diamond is really gorgeous, and I will post pics when my ring is done.

Thank you WF and Denise!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Al & Lesley,

Al, thanks especially for doing the math, as my sample was clearly small, and the constant I assumed was there was not. Maybe ES give 2.5 vs 5, maybe not. When I used to work with McGraw Hill, for some reason, the marketing manager would go into the bookstore with me and show him how some books were discounted, trying to suggest a pattern to the bookstore guy that was not the case. In comparison, I suppose the good news is that WF is not representing any pattern they need to apologize for.

Sounds like what is quoted here on Pricescope, in any case, is the case. John and everybody, you can take out your calculator likewise and work backwards at will. I apologize for my math mistakes already made, and thanks again for proofing me.

Best,

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think that asking for clarification of a publicly stated discount, like the PS discount, is out of line. However, private transactions between a customer and vendor are just that. If the customer wants to disclose it fine.

WF gives a discount for PS members or readers that varies depending upon the product. That's fine and great. Other vendor's may or may not depending upon the situation, but don't publicly state it and that's just fine as well.

That being said I think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill. It all comes down to when one is actually going to make a purchase. You can ask for discount and the vendor may give you one if so inclined. A transaction is only going to take place if buyer and seller agree on exchange of value. If you don't like the price, negotiate more, don't buy or buy somewhere else.

Personally I think too much has been made of this whole thing.

ETA: Maybe I'm just cranky stuck inside on a beautiful Friday PM, but I just don't understand what all the fuss about. You like the price you buy it. You don't like the price, ask for a better one or don't buy it. Simple.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2005 5:21
6.gif
7 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Thanks Al & Lesley,

Al, thanks especially for doing the math, as my sample was clearly small, and the constant I assumed was there was not.

I suppose the good news is that WF is not representing any pattern they need to apologize for.

You''re welcome, RG. I''m happy to do it, but frankly, anyone who *really* had an interest in this could have done the same thing. It took all of fifteen minutes.

It''s sad to me that folks look for the easy way out....inciting a public outcry over nothing....instead of exercising a small modicom of common sense to figure out the situation and fact-check BEFORE inciting the riot.
20.gif
32.gif

But yes.....it is nice that (once again), WF''s integrity has remained intact.
2.gif
36.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2005 5:39:44 PM
Author: noobie
I don't think that asking for clarification of a pubically stated discount, like the PS discount, is out of line. However, private transactions between a customer and vendor are just that. If the customer wants to disclose it fine.

WF gives a discount for PS members or readers that varies depending upon the product. That's fine and great. Other vendor's may or may not depending upon the situation, but don't publicly state it and that's just fine as well.

That being said I think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill. It all comes down to when one is actually going to make a purchase. You can ask for discount and the vendor may give you one if so inclined. A transaction is only going to take place if buyer and seller agree on exchange of value. If you don't like the price, negotiate more, don't buy or buy somewhere else.

Noobie, we are in total agreement that there is nothing wrong with asking for clarification on a publicly stated discount.

It was asked and answered by John: "The PS discount varies, depending on the selection, and amounts to 2-5%". No problem up to that point. Incidentally, that's PRECISELY what was borne out when the math was done. Exactly *every* word of John's answer was accurate and on the money (literally).
31.gif

Personally, I'm in agreement with you.....I believe that transactions between a vendor and a customer ARE private, unless a customer chooses to disclose it like you said.

Where the car "runs off the road" for me is when demands are made of a vendor for transparency in their pricing to the masses.....made, no less, by a competitor. Further, it's presented in a way that suggests the competitor is being DECEPTIVE about his offerings. I have a HUGE problem with that.

I *completely* agree with your comment "You can ask for discount and the vendor may give you one if so inclined. A transaction is only going to take place if buyer and seller agree on exchange of value. If you don't like the price, negotiate more, don't buy or buy somewhere else."

My feeling precisely....and to extrapolate on that, if a customer asks for a discount and you don't wish to give one, then either politely decline or sharpen up your own sales skills and SELL THE VALUE in your price. It doesn't take 20 years of sales experience to successfully sell past a $50 or so discount. If one isn't creative enough to do that, then raise your base price $50 and then give a discount of your own. There are several ways to slay the dragon.

jelyjelo

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/15/2005 5:39:44 PM
Author: noobie
I don''t think that asking for clarification of a publicly stated discount, like the PS discount, is out of line. However, private transactions between a customer and vendor are just that. If the customer wants to disclose it fine.

WF gives a discount for PS members or readers that varies depending upon the product. That''s fine and great. Other vendor''s may or may not depending upon the situation, but don''t publicly state it and that''s just fine as well.

That being said I think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill. It all comes down to when one is actually going to make a purchase. You can ask for discount and the vendor may give you one if so inclined. A transaction is only going to take place if buyer and seller agree on exchange of value. If you don''t like the price, negotiate more, don''t buy or buy somewhere else.

ETA: Maybe I''m just cranky stuck inside on a beautiful Friday PM, but I just don''t understand what all the fuss about. You like the price you buy it. You don''t like the price, ask for a better one or don''t buy it. Simple.
I am 1000% agree with noobie. enough is enough. somebody asked a simple innocent question, somebody else made a "war" out of it.
This thread should had a perfect ending when Lesley answered the question -- perfectly clear answer by the way.

Nobody tried to attack WF. Al, you don''t need to try sooooo hard to defend WF. You said:
"there she goes defending WF again"......but they are the only ones you seem to want to pillory in public.

That''s not true! Remember the thread when Rihno posted Jubilee info on PS and someone blamed him doing "advertising"?
I consider that''s total wacko! -- when he tried to help others by provide knowledge and info on PS, instead of get praised, he got blamed. That''s the kind of thing need your defence. NOT this one!
Relax, it''s Friday!
21.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2005 5:21
6.gif
9 PM
Author: aljdewey
I''m sure you''re going to read this and say ''there she goes defending WF again''......
LOL thats the truth
Your a pit bull when anyone says anything about them.
If I didnt know better id wonder about a few things.
But I know better, its just your lovable self and your love affair with WF.

jelyjelo

Rough_Rock
LOL, I knew this is coming but I do think you are lovable (apart from being feisty) - seriously.
Please allow me to have the honor to announce the winner of this "war" -- Al
36.gif

Let''s all have a nice weekend, OK?
Watch out that blood pressure of yours
28.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2005 10:17:20 PM
Author: jelyjelo
LOL, I knew this is coming but I do think you are lovable (apart from being feisty) - seriously.
Please allow me to have the honor to announce the winner of this ''war'' -- Al
36.gif

Let''s all have a nice weekend, OK?
Watch out that blood pressure of yours
28.gif
LOL - Jely. Don''t know if I can agree on the lovable, but guilty as charged on the feisty.
31.gif

No winners, though, at all.....this shouldn''t be a "war", and I''m not trying to win anything. Just want to be clear on my position.....and that it would be same regardless of the parties involved.

What was that line from Dragnet......? "The story you are about to hear is true.....only the names have been changed to protect the innocent." LLOLOLOLOL

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My two cents....Rhino I don't think it's appropriate for you as a competitive vendor to WF to get involved in a question where customers are trying to clarify their sales policies. If you really are unclear on their policies, how hard is it for you to pick up the phone and call them to ask? As Al mentioned, you all know each other, you see each other at shows and compliment each other stones etc. How appropriate is it for you, a competitive vendor to them, to post on here that you emailed them 4-5 days ago with no response? And then to note that the 'cheese' is apparently out and John is out 'playing music again'? Am I the only one who thinks that was odd from one respected PS vendor to another? And for the record, I would call this out if it were any other vendor, aka WF to GOG or DCD to GOG or anyone else. I think it's appropriate for consumers to discuss questions or concerns with a vendor to each other but I don't think it was necessary for another vendor to step in to say 'hey yanno i wonder this too, whats the story guys?!'. To me that's phone call material out of respect for each other and your private business.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Even a pit bull can be loved by our PS gang.... Aljdewey we love you as you are!

(Yes this dates me a bit...but they did make me laugh, partly because it was too much like the kids I played with)

PS - no direct physical sembalence intended or meant. It's just a fun play on the words being bandied about. I got this from Pete the Pup from Our Gang

og-77.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I really appreiciate WF clearing this up for us. I love that the vendors here on PS are so willing to take their time to offer relevent information to the group when none of us are making a purchase at the moment. As for what Mara and Al said I must agree to a point. We all ought to give kudoos when we revcieve good service, word of mouth is a great way to find info about companies...istn this one of the reasons why everyone is on here? And we ought to be careful not to jump in too soon and say something negative. For children it takes ten postive comments to make up for one hurtful, the same I belive could be said for a business. We all need to think before we type. Thanks again to Lesley at WF for her prompt reply about pricing.
36.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aljdewy!!!

THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING THAT REAL WORLD EXAMPLE!

It''s the first time that was ever made clear to me.

Lesley, my apologies for sounding abrupt. My staff gets aggrevated sometimes trying to explain something that didn''t seem for real. Please understand when someone from your staff says "The bankwire discount IS the PriceScope discount" ... logic says they are one and the same thing. I appreciate our dear friend Al pointing out the facts. That is what I was interested in getting to. If people like the idea of a little added discount for mentioning PS we can see about working that out now in our own price structure. I was not clear on the facts.

I am more than happy to share with you the facts behind our price structure as well. Up till this time it has always been pretty straight forward. The regular price of the diamond and if paid via a wire less 2.25%. I kinda like your idea. :)

Peace,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/15/2005 4:40:38 PM
Author: LesleyH
I would be very interested to know the details of any payment discounts you give Jonathan? And any other vendor for that matter. All of us have experienced the scenario where customers use one or more company''s discounts against our price. Knowing the facts will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com
Lesley... if you''d like, I''d like to carry this conversation in email with ya too. I have some ideas I''d like to share with you to get your input on along with Brian.

Warm regards,

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey

if there is one thing i learn here in the pass 12 months is nobody can out "DUEL" you.....so peace.
9.gif
you''re the champ.
36.gif
36.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just finished reading the rest of this thread. Let me just share my heart for a moment ...

In all honesty .. Aljdewey ... it did seem a like a deceptive practice to me as I had understood the policy to be. When I saw John come on and say "The bank wire discount is the PriceScope discount" ... guess what went through my mind? The policy didn''t make sense to me (not consistent with WF''s character) and the reason I wanted it addressed publicly was to have clarification, public clarification I could point people to on the issue. John''s words were not 100% clear to me as they seemed to contradict from one sentence to the other. I had wrote to him personally about this in email *privately* but with no response for almost a week. When esqknight bumped the thread I took the opportunity to address the issue once more hoping for an answer ... a real world example which you provided. I know Brian and Lesley don''t make all policy (I believe they had hired an outside CEO) and I thought perhaps this outside source had instituted a policy that wasn''t quite on the level. I didn''t know and wasn''t sure which is why I asked for that clarification.

As a regular here I have come to know you as an individual and one of the characteristics I love about you most Al is your consistency and "pit bull" like character in standing up for the truth and for what is right. It happens to also be traits that have earned me my name of Rhino so we are two peas in the pod.
emsmile.gif

Peace in the valley?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/16/2005 1:45:39 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
aljdewey

if there is one thing i learn here in the pass 12 months is nobody can out ''DUEL'' you.....so peace.
9.gif
you''re the champ.
36.gif
36.gif
Are you kidding me? If I''m ever in any battle it is Al I want in my corner ... along with Strm, Mara, YOU, RG ... etc. etc. etc. :)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2005 2
6.gif
1:55 AM
Author: Rhino

Date: 4/16/2005 1:45:39 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
aljdewey

if there is one thing i learn here in the pass 12 months is nobody can out ''DUEL'' you.....so peace.
9.gif
you''re the champ.
36.gif
36.gif
Are you kidding me? If I''m ever in any battle it is Al I want in my corner ... along with Strm, Mara, YOU, RG ... etc. etc. etc. :)
I actually see it as AL is in no-one corner but tries to be impartial and also gives very valuable critique to different vendors (including WF and GOG) when they deserve it.

Instead of taking it negative, vendors should be thankful for such helpful insight, learn and improve.

Just a personal humble opinion...
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results