shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Greek Orthodox weddings here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My fi-to-be is Greek Orthodox, and has never attended a GO wedding before. Anyone here have one or attend one? What can we expect?

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Very traditional and very Greek :)

My FI is Greek (well half) and I have cousins who are half Greek - so I grew up an unofficial greek, especially during Greek Easter and other greek festivities. The traditions are very important, and if the wedding is in the GO church, it will have a very Christian and traditional theme. It's quite beautiful actually. The crowning tradition (where both bride and groom have joined flowered crowns placed on their heads) is especially important...lovely.

As far as I know, you cannot marry in the Greek church if both the bride and groom are not Greek Orthodox. So you'd have to be baptized.

eta: helpful site for you

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Expect it to be beautiful and LONG, lol. My mom''s 2nd husband was GO, and I was in the wedding (6 at the time) I had to stand up there the WHOLE time with my cousin and eventually we both ended up sitting down on the steps and falling asleep. There are actually pictures of me sleeping at my mom''s wedding
6.gif
EEK! Oh well I was little. And Bia is right about having to convert.

kstar512

Rough_Rock
I was married in the Greek Orthodox Church last month. I was not Greek orthodox, but if you are baptized catholic they allow you to be married in the church as long as one person is Greek Orthodox and in good standing with the church. If not, then you do have to convert. The ceremony is a lot like a traditional catholic ceremony. About an hour long, lots of tradition, and a lot of kneeling and standing. Everything in the ceremony is done three times and a lot of it is in ancient Greek. It is a beautiful ceremony and generally Greek Orthodox churches are beautiful as well. I was married at the Saint Sofia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles. Still waiting for my photographer, but as soon as I get them I will post the pics.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2009 2:13:33 PM
Author: kstar512
I was married in the Greek Orthodox Church last month. I was not Greek orthodox, but if you are baptized catholic they allow you to be married in the church as long as one person is Greek Orthodox and in good standing with the church. If not, then you do have to convert. The ceremony is a lot like a traditional catholic ceremony. About an hour long, lots of tradition, and a lot of kneeling and standing. Everything in the ceremony is done three times and a lot of it is in ancient Greek. It is a beautiful ceremony and generally Greek Orthodox churches are beautiful as well. I was married at the Saint Sofia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles. Still waiting for my photographer, but as soon as I get them I will post the pics.
That''s really good to hear!

I guess it depends on the church. My FSIL inquired a few years ago because she wanted to get married in the church she was baptized in but that church said absolutely ''no way,'' as did all the others. Although, this is in Astoria, NY which is predominantly greek - maybe it depends on the area too.

kstar512

Rough_Rock
Bia- My husband said it was a new rule that has recently been passed. I was given the option to convert, which I actually ended up doing, but it was made clear that I did not have too.

Italian

Rough_Rock
Yes!! My fiance is Greek Orthodox and we are getting married in his church in June. I was baptized Catholic and we were told that they just need a copy of my baptism certificate and we are good to go! Im assuming its b/c both religions are so similar. We were told that the ceremony will take about a half hour or less. We considered getting married in Greece, where his parents were married, and its the same way there. I will be attending my first GO wedding in December! If your fiance is from a VERY Greek family (LOL) like mine is, get ready for a really big expensive wedding!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Half of my family is Greek Orthodox (the rest of us are Roman Catholic) and they also have a lot of Greek Orthodox priests and bishops on that side (GO allows priests to marry) so I have been to many Greek Orthodox weddings. They are very beautiful, but also very long and a lot of the ceremony is in Greek, so difficult to understand if you don''t speak Greek (all my cousins who are GO speak Greek because they went to Greek school when they were little.) It is also my understanding that you don''t have to convert if you are baptized Catholic which was the case for many of my cousins'' spouses.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2009 2:19:17 PM
Author: Bia

That''s really good to hear!

I guess it depends on the church. My FSIL inquired a few years ago because she wanted to get married in the church she was baptized in but that church said absolutely ''no way,'' as did all the others. Although, this is in Astoria, NY which is predominantly greek - maybe it depends on the area too.
Bia- My cousin is russian orthodox, his wife is greek orthodox. They were married in a greek orthodox church in Astoria. I think the name of it was St. Dmitrius? something along those lines. Either way, the church allowed it. They can try there.

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
I was just married in a greek orthodox church in August. I converted, one because I wanted to, and two because unless you are christened or baptised you can not get married in the church. It doesn''t matter which relgion you are, so long as one person is orthodox, but you do have to prove you were baptised or christened something.

It is about 45mins long, and a beautiful ceremony, there are no vows (we did them, but that had to be approved), everything is done in three''s and you are crowned king and queen of your household. It is really neat, but I think very different than a traditional catholic wedding.

Attached is a picture after we have been crowned, and we are walking around the table three times with our Koumbaro (greek best man).

Eeek first picture I have ever posted of myself on PS.

Greek Wedding.jpg

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dreaming, did your father walk you down or did your husband meet you at the door? And did you have your rings put on the right hand instead of the left? Did you switch them before the reception? BTW, you looked gorgeous!!!

David is Greek Orthodox, and was baptized in the church where we''ll get married. I was baptized and confirmed Roman Catholic, so we''ll have no problem. The priest did say it would be about 45 minutes, and no communion.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t mean to threadjack Winks, but I thought you were engaged?!?!? FI-to-be??? Did I miss something?

I went to one in May. It was BEAUTIFUL. My suggestion is to have a program printed up for those that are not Greek explaining everything (the crowns, the Koumbara, etc). That was very helpful to the non Orthodox people.

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!

My mother and father walked me down the aisle, and my father gave me away (my parents are divorced and have been since I was 18months so it was really important to me that they both walked with me.)

Our priest performed the service in Greek and Englsih, but he''s young and very now.

My DH was not facing me when my BM''s walked down the aisle, and then when I was about half way down the aisle he turned around to see me. That is usually what they do (well at least at our church), and it is so special to see their face when they first see you!

We put our rings on our left hand, but traditionally in greek it is the right hand. You can always do it on the right hand for the service and switch for the reception, if your priest is adament about it (again ours wasn''t)

We didn''t have communion either, we just drank wine as did our koumbaro.

It was such a beautiful ceremony, and it has so much meaning, but I do suggest doing a program for all the non-greek guests, they will really appreciate it especially if the service is in greek.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I attended a GO wedding this summer (of a PSer, actually) and it was beautiful. She''s GO, and her husband converted. It was about 45 mins- 1hr, and because her husband''s family is not GO, the officiants would begin each section in English so you could tell what was going on. At the same time, my friend had a beautiful program that explained each part of the service, so DH and I never felt like we didn''t know what''s going on. If I remember right, there were 3 segments, but I only remember the engagement and the crowning. I know there was another part, though! The Kaumbaro at this wedding was the bride''s sister - that person must be GO, and the groom had his brother as the "best man," who basically stood there but couldn''t participate in the actual service. The Kaumbaro does a LOT of work, IMO - but it seemed fairly easy from the bride and groom''s standpoint - they basically stand there and receive the blessings, the crowns, etc. There were no spoken vows. The bride''s father did walk her in. For the record, it was the most beautiful and spiritual wedding ceremony I''ve ever attended.

My friend and her husband do wear their wedding rings on the right hand. As a wedding gift, her husband gave her a diamond cushion solitaire to wear on the left hand. It''s stunning, and I think she should post pics here (HINT!)
2.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Awwww! My parents were married at St Sofia! My grandmother was on the board of directors there. I didn't get married there because my parents couldn't agree on our religion because my mom was Catholic and my dad GO, so my twin brother and I are Lutheran. Such a gorgeous church though!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
When I was 12, I went to my cousins wedding, she married the sweetest Greek guy I have ever met! (Still together nearly 20 years later!).

Anyhoo, the ceremony was supposed to be half greek half english, but to our sides dismay, the whole thing was in greek. When we mentioned this to my cousin and her new hubby, they just laughed. Apparently, it was half in english, but the priests accent so thick, no one could understand what was going on (including the bride at some points). One of the best weddings I have ever been to though. Heaps of dancing and fun!

gls

Shiny_Rock
Im greek orthodox and my fiance isnt. We are planning for a greek orthodox wedding.
It is a beautiful ceremony. It goes for about 45mins but these days most priests will allow you to chose a short or a long version and whether you will like it in both english and greek or just greek. I think that the ceremony is beautiful and even if your guests wont understand what they are saying most of the greek guest wont either (its ancient greek) but the hymns are really nice to just listen to.
I will be wearing my wedding bands on my right (that was my choice) but almost everyone i know have changed them over to their left including some on my ageing aunts who changed them over after years and years of marriage!!
You do not need to convert if you are baptised Catholic but you will need to if you arent. If you dont not convert and remain Catholic you will not be able to take communion and communion is a part of the wedding ceremony.
The crowns are to symbolise the union of 2 into 1 and in the ceremony you are officially engaged and then married (bit strange i know!).
As far as Im aware in Aust the best man (or maid of honour) must be orthodox as he will need to change the crowns and the rings (they are switched around three time to symbolise again 2 becoming one).
A gospel reading is read which talks about honouring thy husband/wife and living together in harmony.
Lastly is the Dance of Isah and you walk around the alter 3 times (as if to dance) this is where the rice (confetti) is usually thrown in greece but most churches wont allow it as it goes everywhere! Oh and the rice symbolises the deep-rooting of the marriage, more rice=stronger roots!

Sorry reealllyyyy long post lol

p.s there is a greek tradition that if the man or woman steps on their spouse''s foot during the service they have the upper hand in the marriage, load of crap I say the woman always has the last say!!
3.gif

good luck for your wedding

gls

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/28/2009 6:22:11 PM
Author: dreaming of the day
I was just married in a greek orthodox church in August. I converted, one because I wanted to, and two because unless you are christened or baptised you can not get married in the church. It doesn''t matter which relgion you are, so long as one person is orthodox, but you do have to prove you were baptised or christened something.

It is about 45mins long, and a beautiful ceremony, there are no vows (we did them, but that had to be approved), everything is done in three''s and you are crowned king and queen of your household. It is really neat, but I think very different than a traditional catholic wedding.

Attached is a picture after we have been crowned, and we are walking around the table three times with our Koumbaro (greek best man).

Eeek first picture I have ever posted of myself on PS.

dreaming, would loove to see more pictures of your wedding, do you have a thread?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/28/2009 10:06:03 PM
Author: Lanie
I don''t mean to threadjack Winks, but I thought you were engaged?!?!? FI-to-be??? Did I miss something?

I went to one in May. It was BEAUTIFUL. My suggestion is to have a program printed up for those that are not Greek explaining everything (the crowns, the Koumbara, etc). That was very helpful to the non Orthodox people.

I was. Less than a month after my ex proposed we wound up canceling the wedding, and it was downhill from there. There were multiple issues that I don''t even want to discuss anymore.

David and I started dating and we both knew that first week we had found our partner for life. He proposed on the 11th, and our engagement ring will be arriving either today or tomorrow, thus the fi-to-be. We both say it will be official when he slips my engagement ring on my finger.

Is there any way I can get a copy of the program? If you email me at my work email, I can send you my home address.

Italian

Rough_Rock
Dreaming: Your photo is STUNNING! I would love to see more photos of your wedding and reception. Reading these posts and seeing your photo has me super excited about my GO ceremony!

If anybody has a program they are willing to share, I would really appreciate it.

kstar512

Rough_Rock
heraanderson- My husbands parents were married there also! That was one of the reasons we chose that cathedral. Also because of how beautiful it was. It is said to be one of the most beautiful Cathedrals in the Western Hemisphere!

Honey22- The same thing happened to me when I went to my first GO wedding!! I thought it was all Greek but the priest had such a huge accent I couldn''t tell the difference!

I had the rings placed on our right fingers by the Koumbara and then my husband and I switched each others to the left hand at the end of the ceremony. Most GO weddings will have a program explaining everything and I am sure whoever marries you will provide you with a copy of one to use in your programs.

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I don''t have a thread yet, but I promise to get on it, and I will let you know when I put it together :)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve been to six Greek Orthodox weddings over the last two years. (DH and I are the token non-Greeks in our little crowd!) The ceremonies varied based on the couples, of course. The shortest ceremony was 45 minutes and it was entirely in Greek even though the bride was not Greek, and the longest was 1 hr and 45 minutes--the bride''s father is a GO priest, and they had 11 priests perform the ceremony, including one very important priest who wore a different robe and hat. I don''t remember his full title but he was called "His Eminence _____" in the programs, and it was obvious that he is an important figure in the church. He even held soemthing that looked like a sceptre. Very cool.

ANYWAY, they were all lovely ceremonies, but the best parts were the receptions! There''s nothing like Greek dancing for hours and hours!

We''ve been to a handful of Serbian Orthodox weddings, too, and the ceremonies were similar. If you''ve ever been to a Serbian Orthodox wedding that will give you a good idea.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 3:10:45 AM
Author: gls
Im greek orthodox and my fiance isnt. We are planning for a greek orthodox wedding.
It is a beautiful ceremony. It goes for about 45mins but these days most priests will allow you to chose a short or a long version and whether you will like it in both english and greek or just greek. I think that the ceremony is beautiful and even if your guests wont understand what they are saying most of the greek guest wont either (its ancient greek) but the hymns are really nice to just listen to.
I will be wearing my wedding bands on my right (that was my choice) but almost everyone i know have changed them over to their left including some on my ageing aunts who changed them over after years and years of marriage!!
You do not need to convert if you are baptised Catholic but you will need to if you arent. If you dont not convert and remain Catholic you will not be able to take communion and communion is a part of the wedding ceremony.
The crowns are to symbolise the union of 2 into 1 and in the ceremony you are officially engaged and then married (bit strange i know!).
As far as Im aware in Aust the best man (or maid of honour) must be orthodox as he will need to change the crowns and the rings (they are switched around three time to symbolise again 2 becoming one).
A gospel reading is read which talks about honouring thy husband/wife and living together in harmony.
Lastly is the Dance of Isah and you walk around the alter 3 times (as if to dance) this is where the rice (confetti) is usually thrown in greece but most churches wont allow it as it goes everywhere! Oh and the rice symbolises the deep-rooting of the marriage, more rice=stronger roots!

Sorry reealllyyyy long post lol

p.s there is a greek tradition that if the man or woman steps on their spouse''s foot during the service they have the upper hand in the marriage, load of crap I say the woman always has the last say!!
3.gif

good luck for your wedding
Sounds exactly the same as my wedding-DH and I are Bulgarian Orthodox. We chose the shorter version of the ceremony, because as someone mentioned, I remember all too well being little and falling asleep at my relatives'' weddings.
9.gif
It''s a beautiful ceremony, though!

Our church required that both the best man and maid of honour are Orthodox and christened, but that may differ in different churches.

Also, we don''t have the walking down the aisle tradition here. The bride and groom are supposed to enter the church together, hand in hand; the priest meets them at the door and asks if we are both here on our own free will and we both want to enter the holy union with clear minds and love in our hearts. Then he walks us inside the church as we walk together, side by side, symbolizing our future life together and that we will always stand by each other''s side. During 2/3 of the ceremony we had to hold each other''s hands and don''t let go no matter what. Thank God we didn''t feel like sneezing or scratching or something. lol

Oh, and I did step on his foot after the ceremony, btw!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results