shape
carat
color
clarity

Any German Shepherd (mix) Aficionados Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
Last month, our family lost our beloved dog after 11 wonderful years. She was intelligent, goofy and a joy. We adopted her from a local shelter and have decided to go this route again (BTW, if you live in MD and are thinking of adopting, I encourage you to check out our shelters. There are some amazing dogs looking for homes).

We have put on application on the following darling. This picture does not do her justice; she is much cuter in real life.

imgnotfound.jpg

Okay, my dilemma is the following: all we know is that she is about 5 mths old and a German Shepherd mix. But, mixed with what…well, we don’t know. My bf and I (after extensive scientific internet research
34.gif
) think she might be mixed with Labrador. Or boxer. Or ??? Anyway, I guess I feel a little anxious. Anybody have any familiarity with shepherds? What can you tell me about 5 mths in terms of their growth? How much more growth can I anticipate after 5 mths?
33.gif
I will appreciate any comments or thoughts.

On a different note, it was so hard to decide on just one so I am feeling some guilt about the ones we left behind. But that is a different story.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a couple shep mixes growing up and LOVED them. I had lab and shep and golden/husky or malamute/shep (she was HUGE and the sweetest dog ever). I love my purebred Chesapeake but boy I love mutts too. Sheps are very smart dogs.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks like part pit bull to me, from that photo. is she a sweetie?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2008 1:02:45 AM
Author:AnitaT

Hello,
Last month, our family lost our beloved dog after 11 wonderful years. She was intelligent, goofy and a joy. We adopted her from a local shelter and have decided to go this route again (BTW, if you live in MD and are thinking of adopting, I encourage you to check out our shelters. There are some amazing dogs looking for homes).

We have put on application on the following darling. This picture does not do her justice; she is much cuter in real life.

imgnotfound.jpg

Okay, my dilemma is the following: all we know is that she is about 5 mths old and a German Shepherd mix. But, mixed with what…well, we don’t know. My bf and I (after extensive scientific internet research
34.gif
) think she might be mixed with Labrador. Or boxer. Or ??? Anyway, I guess I feel a little anxious. Anybody have any familiarity with shepherds? What can you tell me about 5 mths in terms of their growth? How much more growth can I anticipate after 5 mths?
33.gif
I will appreciate any comments or thoughts.

On a different note, it was so hard to decide on just one so I am feeling some guilt about the ones we left behind. But that is a different story.
Hey, neighbor! I was born and raised in Maugansville, MD (right outside of Hagerstown, MD), and still live in the area!
35.gif

Your new pup is ADORABLE!!!
30.gif

I agree with DFan . . . looks like there might be some pit bull in there somewhere. One of our three dogs is half pit bull and half black lab. (He came from a shelter, too.) He is SUCH a sweetie pie! Good luck with your new girl, and congratulations!
9.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Oh boy, I shouldn''t have this reaction, but those words chill me. When we got home, I looked at her picture again and wondered the same thing. I called the shelter and was told they filter out any dogs or puppies that display any prominent Pit Bull traits because the breed is prohibited in the county. Now, I know that a lot has to do with training, but I feel unsure about PBs.

But, regarding your question, yes, she was adorable and so sweet. My whole family (retired parents and bf) went together to the shelter and she just came up to us with her tail wagging like she had been looking forward to meeting us all day. She and my dad fell in love hard. At one point, Brownie, as the shelter calls her, was "hugging" him with her little paws. The death of our dog was difficult for my parents and it was great to see both of them laughing again.

The chemistry was there, I guess I am just second guessing myself.

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
She looks more like a staffy to me.

I have known a few staffies, most of them have been absolutely sweeties.

I think staffies and pit bulls are similar, I just looked up the difference, pitbulls are generally bigger, and look slightly different. Look at this site: http://www.bulldoginformation.com/bull-and-terrier-breeds.html

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2008 1:34:45 AM
Author: AnitaT
Oh boy, I shouldn''t have this reaction, but those words chill me. When we got home, I looked at her picture again and wondered the same thing. I called the shelter and was told they filter out any dogs or puppies that display any prominent Pit Bull traits because the breed is prohibited in the county. Now, I know that a lot has to do with training, but I feel unsure about PBs.

But, regarding your question, yes, she was adorable and so sweet. My whole family (retired parents and bf) went together to the shelter and she just came up to us with her tail wagging like she had been looking forward to meeting us all day. She and my dad fell in love hard. At one point, Brownie, as the shelter calls her, was ''hugging'' him with her little paws. The death of our dog was difficult for my parents and it was great to see both of them laughing again.

The chemistry was there, I guess I am just second guessing myself.
Aw, Anita, don''t worry! Even if she does have some pit bull in her, I''m sure she''ll be completely fine. Our dog who is half pit-bull is SUCH a sweetheart! He LOVES people, and is SO friendly, but very well-behaved. In fact, he''s our "good kid" . . . we always wish our other two (a lab mix and a pure-bred Great Dane) were as well-behaved as he is! LOL!
9.gif

I think pits really do get a bad reputation, and most of them don''t deserve it. As you said, it has a lot to do with their training. A LOT! Pit bulls aren''t born mean . . . they''re taught to be mean, just as any dog can be taught to be mean. In fact, my parents'' neighbor has a pure-bred pit bull, and she is just a love! While my parents were building their house, she came over every day to "help" . . . the guys working on the house really had fun with her! She''s very playful and affectionate . . . but NEVER, EVER mean. I''ve met several pits in my life, and I have yet to encounter a mean one. I wouldn''t worry! I think she''ll be a great addition to your family!
21.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello Irishgrrrl and Bobbin,

Thanks for your reassuring words. This is a big decision for us and we want to make a good one too (sort of like when we were er shopping
1.gif
) so we are overanalyzing. Plus, we are information geeks to boot. I love PS because I thought that if I post here I could reach knowledgable folks and I did! Your comments are helpful. Maybe we should visit one more time and remove all doubts.

Irishgrrrl-- yay, Maryland! I grew up and still live in the Montgomery county region.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Part pit is not an issue. People are the issue with them, they train them to be vicious. There is no reason to think she is, if she seems sweet. They address this in the shelter, they touch and poke and do all sorts of test to see if the dog can be in a home. If she passed I would not worry. It could be Staffordshire too, which I think is somewhat like pit in appearance, but bottom line they have behaviorists check them out and they are not allowed to be adopted if they are concerned.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto DF and others who said that part pit would definitely be nothing to worry about. In fact, pit bulls usually score higher on temperament tests than many other beloved breeds including border collies and cocker spaniels. If you have any anxiety at all, please take the time to check out this link with EXCELLENT information about the history and behavior of pit bull breeds - it should help to dispell any fears you have, and you will be becoming an "educated consumer" of rescue doggies in the process
9.gif

Brownie looks like a little love - she is just darling, and she sounds friendly and outgoing and eager to please, all of which are excellent traits in a 5 month old puppy. Judging just from her picture, I''d guess she will probably end up as a medium to large sized dog - perhaps in the range of about 40-50 lbs? I''d have to see her in person to make a totally accurate guess, but that''s my best one based on the many puppies and dogs I''ve trained and socialized at my local shelter.

Please educate yourself about the hype surrounding pit bull breeds before you consider discriminating against this sweet little girl based on what are, in fact, myths. Pit bull breeds, as you''ll read on the link above, were bred to be exceptionally sweet, gentle and friendly with people - their only "natural" aggression can be towards other dogs, and often not even that. They are smart, loyal, sweet, and eager to please.

I would say that a GSD mixed with any of the breeds that have come up here - lab, boxer, or pittie/staffie/etc... would be a lovely pet. Probably quite smart, but that just means you''ll have to keep her busy with obedience training and toys and love - definitely not a bad thing
2.gif

Please let us know how you decide - I know myself and many others here have extensive experience with dogs, training, socialization, etc...so if we can help in any way, don''t hesitate to ask. Good luck
9.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
DF and AmberGretchen: this is exactly why PS is a great resource
36.gif

DF-- you raise a very good point about the in-house shelter evaulation. I needed to be reminded about this fact.
1.gif

AG-- wow, thank you for the great site and encouragement. Sizewise, 40 to 50 lbs would be great. Our other dog was a little over 60 and we were hoping to go a little smaller. Your work sounds fascinating. I have so much respect for the people we have met at our shelters who work with and help animals find homes. AG, I imagine it must be very rewarding to know your efforts are improving the quality of interactions between people and animals.

Okay, I am feeling more reassured about the PB part after hearing from you all.

There were so many great dogs at this particular shelter. I felt so torn about 3 and wished I could take them home. If you live in the DC area and are looking for a 4-legged friend, consider checking out the PG county shelter.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She looks to have some Staffie in her to me also, so she may not end up overly huge, she looks like a love!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Anita - I''m so glad that I was able to offer additional reassurance and information. Brownie really looks and sounds like a wonderful dog and I''m sure she would be a lovely addition to your family
9.gif

I do love the volunteer work I do at the shelter - I train shelter dogs to have nice manners and to deal with any behavioral issues they may have, help match them up with potential adopters, and help teach classes in more advanced training techniques to the public. I find it very rewarding and I agree with you - I really respect so many of the people I meet who do work with animals in shelters, and I feel lucky that I get to work with them and have learned so much.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 1:02:45 AM
Author:AnitaT

I spent all weekend thinking about Brownie and realized "Fluffy," another puppy had made quite an impression. She wasn''t as charasmatic or energetic as Brownie, but she had the sweetest disposition. She put her head on my parents'' laps and seemed wistful. The other factor that touched our hearts were her ears. She had fly bites on each side and we wondered if people would focus on that and miss her sweet face and goreous coat.

After much thinking and everyone''s wonderful feedback on PS, we went back to the shelter and visited with both of them again. Well, there was someone else in the kennel area asking about Brownie when we walked in! This is going to sound hokey and contrived, but I took it as a sign. More so after we found out that Fluffy was still without applications. Both little girls were fabulous, but Fluffy just touched our hearts in an undeniable way. So, we have resubmitted our app. My fingers are crossed. I hope our app is approved.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Anita - sounds like you may have a wonderful new family member coming soon. Can''t wait to hear how it turns out and see picture of your sweet little girl, whichever puppy that turns out to be. Please keep us updated and good luck - thank you so much for saving a little life
9.gif
36.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hi AG!
We are very excited. The house is not the same since the passing of our sweet doggie. Really, I feel like we need this puppy as much as she needs a home.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
We heard back yesterday and we are APPROVED! We are picking her up this afternoon! This is very exciting.

Here is a snapshot of her. We are going to change the name.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12047202&mtf=1

I was so happy to get the call from the shelter yesterday afternoon, I practically shouted it to my nearest coworkers.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is absolutely beautiful! I can see why she touched your heart so readily! Bless you for giving this little girl a new life, I hope the transition goes easily, but if you need any tips, I have rescued quite a few dogs over the years successfully, so you only have to ask and we should be able to help you between us.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG she''s just darling - what a cutie pie
30.gif
So glad to hear the good news about your application and can''t wait to see pics and hear stories about this precious girl in her new, loving home
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello again! "Heidi" is home and she is so sweet. I promise to take pictures soon. Lorelei and AG-- thanks for your encouraging words. Bf and I went a little crazy at Petsmart this morning in preparation (we only have senior dog food in the house). I feel like Heidi has two sets of parents: bf and me, plus my parents. This little girl will be loved and supported.
9.gif
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry it did not work out with the other pup, but hope she goes to a lovely home.

Heidi looks great, I would spoil her too but set limits, show her you are the pack leader in a firm but kind way, so she can adjust to the dynamics in the house. I am sure all will be great!

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
DF,
I hear ya on the pack leader issue...we are brushing up by watching our dog basics videos and going through other dog books. Bf and I are trying to be mindful of establishing boundaries and not let her cuteness sway us...Day 1 and so far so good (except for all the petting and treats
9.gif
).

Regarding the other puppy, I am hopeful about her finding a good home. She is a charmer.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Anita - it sounds like Heidi is settling in beautifully. Can''t wait to see pictures.

And as Lorelei said, please feel free to ask for advice about any issues that come up - we have a lot of animal lovers and experts here on PS who are only too happy to help. I''ve been training dogs now at my local shelter for almost 2 years and I was a junior handler of show dogs in my youth - I just wish I could have one of my own now
1.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the Shep X club!!! Your post caught my attention b/c I have two shepherd mix dogs from the animal shelter, and they are wonderful! We call them "Shep Xs" because that is how the shelter (and our vet) refers to their breed. We also call them "Tans". We are happy whenever we see other "Tans" at the dog park, and now online!

We think one may have some terrier and the other may have some boxer, no idea. They are each about 40 lbs (one stockier, one taller and leaner). My younger dog looks a lot like the first dog you posted. They are not perfect but no dog is. Quirks: my older dog does not react well to meeting new dogs while on leash. My younger dog gets nervous when left alone and chews things she shouldn't (solved by using a crate). Like with any dog, you just learn what you can fix with training and work with the rest. We found both our dogs really came out of their shell and came into their own after arriving home from the shelter. I'm so glad you adopted your dog and gave her a new life! Keep us posted!

Oh - you asked about growth (for the first dog) - in case you are interested, my older dog we got at a year and was full grown. My younger dog we got at 6 months and she grew just a little bit. She was really too skinny so she put on about 5 lb in muscle/fat and is just right now. She doesn't eat when nervous so I bet she didn't eat at the shelter.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 1:46:51 AM
Author: TanDogMom
Welcome to the Shep X club!!! Your post caught my attention b/c I have two shepherd mix dogs from the animal shelter, and they are wonderful! We call them ''Shep Xs'' because that is how the shelter (and our vet) refers to their breed. We also call them ''Tans''. We are happy whenever we see other ''Tans'' at the dog park, and now online!

Like with any dog, you just learn what you can fix with training and work with the rest. We found both our dogs really came out of their shell and came into their own after arriving home from the shelter.

I''m so glad you adopted your dog and gave her a new life! Keep us posted!
Hello again--I have been happily preoccupied lately and haven''t had much computer time. Well, our little doggie girl is melting our hearts.
30.gif
Heidi is still figuring us out and will probably take a little while for her to feel "at home." It seems sometimes like she is trying to hold back from what she wants to do. For example, she has a ball we gave her. At first, she would just look at it and then, finally yesterday evening, she started to mess and play with it a bit. Then stopped, like she remembered to mind herself. Hopefully, in time, she will let herself have fun.

AG and Lorelei, thank you for your generous offers of guidance. I am sure I will have questions in the days ahead.
34.gif

TanDogMom, I love your name! The "Shep X" comment made me smile because I do indeed remember seeing it in numerous descriptions when we were looking. Shep Xs are fasciniating with their coloring and facial expressions. Of course, I am completely biased!
9.gif

Speaking of quirks, Heidi seems to really dislike the steps at the back of our house. But, is comfortable with the steps in the front of the house. Interesting.

Thanks again for the supportive messages. No one can replace our other dog, but we are enjoying getting to know this new 4-legged member of the family.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results