shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Digital Camera Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Are you happy with your camera?

Can you please give me your digital camera recommendations? It doesn''t need to be a bargain, i am looking for good quality photos, with some simplicity. I LOVE when you can change the zoom lense on some, for awsome closeups. I feel alot of the digitals don''t have great zoom capabilities, so if you have one that does, please share.

Thanks.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
My camera was a bargain and doesn''t have an amazing zoom so I did a quick check on consumer reports and these were recommended for long zooms:

• Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 , $390
• Canon PowerShot S3 IS , $290
• Canon PowerShot S5 IS , $350
• Fujifilm FinePix S700 , $200
• Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 , $250

Hope that helps!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
• Canon PowerShot S5 IS , $350
is the best mega-zoom on the market.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I bought my parents one of the lower-end Canon Powershots, and it STILL does a ton of crazy-cool stuff as well as a really easy-to-navigate menu (even my mom can do it, and that's saying something). Like I said, there's is pretty basic but it still has 7x's zoom, so I'm sure if you can go up in cash you can get exactly what you want, and the Canon Powershot line is HUGE--I think they have something like 90 different models (according to my dad, who followed some link in the manual for additional info on the camera and found a bazillion different types--some are probably old, but still!).

Hope you find what you are looking for! Let us know what you get!
36.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your recommendations everyone.

Storm, if you see this, I have any olympus digi with 10x zoom now and it still isn''t quite enough for me. Is the canon you recommend a better option??

I was wondering if it is time for me to step up to a SLR type of digi camera?
When trying to capture the kids at sports, i can never get a clear shot. especially if it requires a flash.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I had the Canon Powershot SD750, it was great, had great zoom however it just died on me! The lens is broken and Ritz won''t repair so I have to take it to an independent repair shop.

Now I have the Sony Cybershot and the zoom isn''t as great but I love how much thinner this model is than my Canon and it has some great functions. Good Luck!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2007 8:38:18 AM
Author: Eva17
Thank you for your recommendations everyone.

Storm, if you see this, I have any olympus digi with 10x zoom now and it still isn''t quite enough for me. Is the canon you recommend a better option??

I was wondering if it is time for me to step up to a SLR type of digi camera?

When trying to capture the kids at sports, i can never get a clear shot. especially if it requires a flash.
The Canon Storm mentioned has 12x zoom.

designchica

Shiny_Rock
I love my Canon Digital Rebel XTI. It is not small though and will not fit in your purse, but if you are looking for great quality pics and the ability to change lenses, check it out.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
hi Design, i was debating between your camera and the nikin D40x. They are so similar, and DH went with the Nikon. I am really happy with it''s simplicity and capabilities. I am taking pix of everything.

thanks for your input!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Kodak EasyShare Z760 which is kind of old by todays standards, but it''s great for what I use it for. And Nate has a Canon Rebel XTi. Personally, I think Nikon makes the best cameras.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, I respectfully disagree (for point and shoot, at least). I''ve had several Nikon Coolpix models and for Christmas just got the Canon SD 850 IS and IMO, it blows the comparable Nikons out of the water. It just packs so much more punch in terms of shooting options.

designchica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/11/2008 11:15:34 AM
Author: Elmorton
Ooooh, I respectfully disagree (for point and shoot, at least). I''ve had several Nikon Coolpix models and for Christmas just got the Canon SD 850 IS and IMO, it blows the comparable Nikons out of the water. It just packs so much more punch in terms of shooting options.
Also, for the non-point and shoot models, Nikon is not as compatible with the various lenses and other components you may want to add on later. However, I did have a classmate in my photography class with a Nikon and she was pretty happy with it but the instructor sure seemed to think she''d thrown her money away.

designchica

Shiny_Rock
Oh, another thing I love about Canon is their customer service. I lost the software for downloading images to my computer and i sent them an email asking where I could purchase a replacement and two days later I had a free replacement from them in the mail. Excellent customer service!!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

I don''t disagree. I should have said that prefer Nikon when it comes to professional cameras.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I had a Nikon Coolpix and it sucked/drained the battery SO fast and the start up and lag between snapping photos took forever.
I couldn''t get through 1 2 hour b-day party on one battery w/ it, my Canon batteries {rechargeable AA''s} last me a couple of months and take take a TON of photos.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I have a kodak easy share. I like it, and it is VERY easy to use, but I WISH I had a Cannon. My sister has one, and it takes the BEST pictures. It zooms in really well too. I dunno which kind she has. I know lots of other gals with cannons, and they seem really pleased with them.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my canon powershot SD750. It takes great photos.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2007 8:56:40 PM
Author:Eva17
Are you happy with your camera?

Can you please give me your digital camera recommendations? It doesn''t need to be a bargain, i am looking for good quality photos, with some simplicity. I LOVE when you can change the zoom lense on some, for awsome closeups. I feel alot of the digitals don''t have great zoom capabilities, so if you have one that does, please share.

Thanks.
I know this sounds ignorant but I''m not yet familiar with all the functions of my digital camera, however, I would absolutely recommend it ... It takes lovely pictures.

It is a Canon SD850IS

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I say this in every camera thread, but it seems like it never sticks, so I figured I'd put it out there again.

What camera works best for a buyer really really really depends on what the buyer wants to use it for. Some features are important to some activities, and others are important to different activities. Point-and-shoots are great for some thing, but not for others. Even within point-and-shoots, not all cameras are 'equal'.

I love Canons, but even then, it still depends on what you want to do with the camera.

Most people will be best suited by something like the Canon SD850 because their primary uses are family snapshots and/or vacation pictures. Its focal range (35 or 36mm to 140mm) will help you get in closer to catch expressions on your subjects, etc. AND it's small enough to take along easily. For most of the gals here, it's a great choice because it fits in the purse easily, it takes great macro shots (a PSer must), and yet it will also take great photos of the kids.

Some group of people will have different photo needs; they may want a smaller camera (for convenient take-along) but want the wider angle range. They don't need the zoom range to get closer as much as they need the wider range to capture more scenery. If your primary use will be either photographing LARGE groups of people or using it for landscape shots during travel (i.e. Grand Canyon, landscape type photos, etc.), then the Canon SD800 or SD870 is a better choice. It's focal range is 28mm (wide angle) to 105mm, so you lose a little zoom but you gain a bit more width.

Eva's stated primary use is for kids' sporting events....she wants to get better close-ups, and she would like interchangeable lenses. I'm thinking, Eva, that since you've said low-price point isn't a requirement, it may be time to step up to DSLR. Eva, the key question is really "how close are you to the kids when you're shooting?"

I own the Canon S5, and it's a great 'hybrid' option. It's a bit fancier, larger, and heavier than a typical consumer P&S, and it has a decent 12x zoom. It has a pop-up flash (that's useless unless you're close up to your subject), but it does also have a hot-shoe for using an external flash. That would probably handle shots inside a gymnasium (i.e. basketball game), but it likely wouldn't be enough to power across a football field.

It doesn't have interchangeable lenses the way a true SLR does; instead it has 'conversion lenses' that attach to the camera.

It has a 'fast action' mode (either sports or kids/pets) that lets you catch action with next to no lag, so it does fairly well for what it is, but it's not comparable to a DSLR. The S5 also doesn't have a full range of aperture stops comparable to the DSLR (doesn't open out as wide), so some of the creative effects you may be looking for might not be possible.

If these cameras were 'cycles', the traditional P&S compact cameras would be bicycles. The big, full-boat SLRs would be motorcycles. The Canon S5 and similar hybrids would be mopeds.....motorized to mimic the motorcycle and definitely a step up from a bicycle, but you ain't gonna find Hells Angels riding em cause they just aren't THAT serious.

Hope that helps.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2008 1:55:38 AM
Author: pennquaker09

Ooooh, I respectfully disagree (for point and shoot, at least). I've had several Nikon Coolpix models and for Christmas just got the Canon SD 850 IS and IMO, it blows the comparable Nikons out of the water. It just packs so much more punch in terms of shooting options.

I don't disagree. I should have said that prefer Nikon when it comes to professional cameras.
nikon and canon flip flop back and forth.
For a long time canon led in dslr but nikon with the D40x ease of use and the new d300 and d3 took the lead while canon stumbled with the 40d and mk3.
For a while nikon led with p&s the nikon 4xxx series was the best for its time then canon caught up and nikon stumbled and hasnt caught up.
I expect they will flip flop positions again and again because both make some pretty nice cameras it just depends on who has the lead at any given time.
Panasonic and fuji every once in the while comes out with something that beats them both in some areas.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the responses.

Aljd, that was an awsome FYI reponse!!!! Thanks.

DH got me the Nikon D40x. I am very happy with it. It is a DSLR. I love the action shots, close ups, color, etc. i am having fun trying it on new things every day. I posted some pictures i took with it in a post called playing with the new camera....

Thanks everyone!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK what camera would you recommend for a total digital camera ignoramus, who wants to use the camera 90% of the time for family pics, but also wants a macro function (for taking pictures of sparklies and flowers)?
To get an idea of the level of sophistication I am talking about, I currently use disposable cameras for my photo needs (while my husband won''t give up his completely manual Konica).

33.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
part gypsy, it sounds like any of the point and shoot canon''s listed in this thread would be a good choiice for you.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty much like you. Hubby wanted a DSLR but I said no way. I wanted point and shoot. I opted for the Canon S5 and I love it. If hubby wants to he can get the add on lenses. I used to have a film SLR and it was a royal pain. By the time I had all the settings set, the shot would be long gone. The supermacro function works fine for me and I got some really nice shots of my ring with it. It can also record up to 37 minutes of movie (with an upgraded 2GB memory card). Has sound and all sorts of other cool settings. It isn''t small though- you need a camera bag-won''t fit in your pocket. For me it was the perfect choice and it gets very good reviews on the camera boards and Consumer reports as well.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 9:31:14 PM
Author: part gypsy
OK what camera would you recommend for a total digital camera ignoramus, who wants to use the camera 90% of the time for family pics, but also wants a macro function (for taking pictures of sparklies and flowers)?
To get an idea of the level of sophistication I am talking about, I currently use disposable cameras for my photo needs (while my husband won''t give up his completely manual Konica).

33.gif
Per my recommendation above, you''re a good candidate for the Canon SD850.

Takes awesome macros for sparklies, has 4x zoom range to get closer to subject for family pics, has Image stabilization to limit blur; has a kids/pets setting to help stop action/prevent blur, and is very user-friend/easy to use. Also very compact - fits into the purse.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool, I will look into the Canons. I think that''s what I''m going to buy in payment to myself for doing the taxes.

My husband showed me how to use his manual camera, but by the time I set it up, whatever is happening has ended. I do have to admit it takes pretty pictures (say of trees), but I want the instant gratification of a digital that you can see the pics immediately, plus the ability to keep only the ones you like.
My strategy; look for the one with the least buttons possible!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 3:26:46 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 1/14/2008 9:31:14 PM
Author: part gypsy

33.gif

Takes awesome macros for sparklies, has 4x zoom range to get closer to subject for family pics, has Image stabilization to limit blur; has a kids/pets setting to help stop action/prevent blur, and is very user-friend/easy to use. Also very compact - fits into the purse.

How is the lag time w/ this camera? I have a Nikon Cool Pix that is a few years old. Its always had SLOW lag time, but I just bought a bigger memory card and now its just ridiculous. I think it takes at least 10 seconds to bring up a screen for a new photo. I am debating btwn the Canon 750 and 850 for a replacement. Thanks.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I had a Nikon CoolPix too. . . any newer Canon will blow you away speed-wise!
9.gif

And won''t drain the battery like the Nikon either!
36.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 11:27:45 AM
Author: mintve

Date: 1/15/2008 3:26:46 PM
Author: aljdewey

How is the lag time w/ this camera? I have a Nikon Cool Pix that is a few years old. Its always had SLOW lag time, but I just bought a bigger memory card and now its just ridiculous. I think it takes at least 10 seconds to bring up a screen for a new photo. I am debating btwn the Canon 750 and 850 for a replacement. Thanks.
Mintive, the lag time with the Canon is SO much less pronounced than the Nikon!

My first dig camera was a Coolpix 2100, and it took nearly 2.5 seconds to start and SERIOUS lag to take a photo.

The Canon is a serious improvement; also, it has a kids/pets feature that gives really quick response time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results