shape
carat
color
clarity

Any cure for excessive barking?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve just moved into a new flat. Our previous one is going condo, so it''s been emptying out and we had the whole floor to ourselves for more than a year. As a result, the dogs are used to quiet. Now, because we have neighbours, they are barking whenever they hear someone. Any cures? We''re hate to be the inconsiderate people. Help!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many dog trainers use a spray bottle with water or a can with pennies in it. When they start to go crazy, say NO BARKING in a firm voice and shake the can at them or spray them with the water. Do it each time they are barking excessively. Not really sure what else works, Miss Maya is a very quiet dog and only barks once in a while, though she makes other noises. I never had to try anything on her, but have heard some people have success in those two techniques. I know there are no bark collars but they seem scary to me. I also sat a friends and watched her Jack Russell go ballistic and bark nonstop for 40 minutes while he was wearing one.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh dear. I was hoping a bark collar (one of those that sprays citronella, and does not zap) would work. I''ll give your technique a try.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just would hesitate with one that zaps. Not sure how they work, but thought my friend''s zapped and that dogged barked non stop.

What about going to a good pet supply store or googling it?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve found a few options -- the zapper collar, the citronella collar, a machine that emits an annoying noise each time the little buggers bark. I''m hoping for all your quick and useful input because I feel so bad for my new neighbours.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your neighbors will appreciate your courtesy I am sure.

You can try the other non zapping collars, no harm there. The other stuff is worth a try too. Maya loves water so if I had ever had to do this to her I could not use water squirts, she would think I was playing with her!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope so.
That's my worry. My dogs are a little weird and they may very well like the smell of citronella.

While we're on the topic of canines, does anyone know of a good boarding place in New York? We've not had to use one in a while because the doormen at our old place used to come and dogsit.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
As diamondfan said, you can use the spray bottle with some lemon in it, or the citronella collars do work quite well also. What you want is to try and stop the barking as soon they start, so they understand that it''s the barking that you''re trying to stop, so that''s why the collars can sometimes work best as they spray as soon as the first bark happens.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Zap collars generally don't work. My dog trainer said if you want to train your dog with one of those start with it turned up full strength. If you start low zappage and work your way up your dog is just going to get used to it as you increase the strength. Honestly though she didn't recommend it and I'd never use one.

Dogs have such a sensitive sense of smell. My lhasa apso loves to bark his head off. When he gets very bad we use the citronella collar on him. We leave it on for a few weeks and eventually not a peep comes out of him. We then take it off of him and leave it off him until he starts up again. Generally he can go many many months or more and not start up that kind of barking again. I've had to put him back on the 'program' two times since I got one in the last few years. They are SUPER effective. As soon as it detects the bark it shoots the citronella in front of his nose and that shuts him up IMMEDIATELY! It generally scares the pants off of him as well.

The only downside to them is that the collars themselves tend to be a bit faulty. People complain a lot about them giving out over time. I've gone through a couple already. You can buy them on ebay for about half the cost you'd find it at a place like petco or petsmart and they are exactly the same. It worked wonders on my dad's Cairn Terrier as well. I HIGHLY recommend them. They can also be a bit tricky to position, so if they don't seem to work it's probably because it's too tight or too loose. It takes a bit of work to figure out where to position it. It does for me at least... my FI has no problem getting it on our dog just right.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 1:25:09 AM
Author: Harriet
I hope so.
That''s my worry. My dogs are a little weird and they may very well like the smell of citronella.

While we''re on the topic of canines, does anyone know of a good boarding place in New York? We''ve not had to use one in a while because the doormen at our old place used to come and dogsit.
It''s possible but that would be suprising. The stuff that shoots out of those collars is so strong it''s killer to a doggies super sensitive sense of smell.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Our dog trainer used Binanca! It''s hysterical! Just a lil spray on the edge of their mouth or right in it and they shut up! It works... I''m tellin'' ya!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
We have the citronella for our pup and it works pretty well. The reason we got it was because we also live in a condo and didn''t want our dog to disturb our neighbors. Our problem was similar to yours where everytime our dog heard the elevator ding or our neighbors slam the door he''d go nuts and the collar has definitely resolved that - it''s amazing! However, our dog also has seperation anxiety in which case he goes nuts when we leave to go anywhere and although we have him gated (and remove the collar once he''s behind the gate), the collar hasn''t cured him from barking in that case. He doesn''t bark as much when we leave, but he still gets sprayed and seems to not care.

Besides the seperation anxiety issue, the collar has worked wonders. We take it off him when we leave for work, when he sleeps at night and when we walk him, but when we''re home, he''s got it on. Now that he knows what it is and how it works, he''s definitely a better, calmer dog. And what we like to do is keep it on him , but turn the little on/off switch to off most of the time so that he still thinks he might get sprayed when he barks, but it won''t actually spray him.

Definitely give it a try - we got ours on sale at Petco.com

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, ladies. I''ll get the citronella collars rightaway. Any brand recommendations? We''re thinking of Premier Gentle Spray Bark Control Pet Training System.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 9:15:47 AM
Thanks, ladies. I''ll get the citronella collars rightaway. Any brand recommendations? We''re thinking of Premier Gentle Spray Bark Control Pet Training System.
Harriet - that''s the one we have. It comes with spray, but you should also buy some refills too. One bottle lasts about a month or two.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will do. Thanks.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Too often people try shock collars without knowing how to use them--our dog behaviorist teaches a course on it and while our dog isn''t "vocal" (no barking allowed in the house), I''ve seen some pretty impressive results. Obiously some dogs respond to it better than others. For touch-sensitive dogs, a vibrating collar can work well. It works similarly to a shock collar. There ware warning beeps, then it vibrates if the barking continues. The vibration is good for startling them and getting them out of the "barking" frame of mind.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting - I''ve never heard of a vibration collar.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm...my dogs are pretty skittish. They are terrified ofr the vacum cleaner. Maybe I should just charge at them with one when they bark.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
My dog has separation anxiety as well. I didn''t realize just how bad until my neighbors left a note on the door saying he was barking all day while I was at work. (I have a townhouse, and they work nights so they''re home all day.) I tried the citronella collar, and it worked a little, but he does still bark sometimes even though he gets sprayed. I also got an ultrasonic machine that I turn on when I leave and keep right by his crate. The combination of the ultrasonic and the collar seem to work well. Without me being home, I can''t tell for sure, but he seems less agitated when I get home. I''ve also used the ultrasonic when I''ve been home with him, and it worked immediately - something the collar didn''t always do.

Honestly, I''m still trying to figure it out as well. When I asked the vet about it, the only thing he suggested was medicating my dog...

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 10:53:19 AM
Hmm...my dogs are pretty skittish. They are terrified ofr the vacum cleaner. Maybe I should just charge at them with one when they bark.
hahaha! Honestly, people come up with some crazy ideas to stop behaviors! :) My friend''s dog started barking when it was a little older--maybe around two (I''ve heard this is common). Anyway, she decided that every time he opened his mouth to bark, she''s spray his mouth with bitter apple. After just a day or two, if he started barking she''d just stand up and walk toward the bottle and he''d slink away. I''ve actually tasted bitter apple--it''s not pleasant, haha.

P.S. My dog is also afraid of the vacuum cleaner, which always cracks me up because he''s so much larger than the vacuum.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t believe you tasted it. Well, FI did sample a doggy treat.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have used the cintronella collar on the The Demon and it works like a charm! The only thing is I thought the instructions said not to leave it on when the dog is alone... ? Unfortunately I got the collar so long ago that the directions are long gone and I can't find anything on line, but if that's the case will this really solve your whole problem? I mean, the pup won't bark when you're home since the collar will be on but my bet is that there is also barking when you're gone. (Sorry I can't remember this for sure... senility at 37 is a terrible thing!)

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 10:58:58 AM
Author: krispi
My dog has separation anxiety as well. I didn''t realize just how bad until my neighbors left a note on the door saying he was barking all day while I was at work. (I have a townhouse, and they work nights so they''re home all day.) I tried the citronella collar, and it worked a little, but he does still bark sometimes even though he gets sprayed. I also got an ultrasonic machine that I turn on when I leave and keep right by his crate. The combination of the ultrasonic and the collar seem to work well. Without me being home, I can''t tell for sure, but he seems less agitated when I get home. I''ve also used the ultrasonic when I''ve been home with him, and it worked immediately - something the collar didn''t always do.

Honestly, I''m still trying to figure it out as well. When I asked the vet about it, the only thing he suggested was medicating my dog...
Krispi - what brand ultra sonic machine did you get? I was just googling them and was reading mixed reviews for certain brands...

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
A bark collar (the zapping kind) worked for my pup. She''s a red heeler mix and I think she had separation anxiety too b/c she would bark as soon as I left. I tired the ultra-sonic thing and that did absolutely nothing. I thought the zapping collar was a bit in humane but I had to do something so I gave it a try. The first week I had some neighbors listen for her during the day and she hardly barked at all while I was gone. However if I''m at home and put her in another room and she knows I''m there she still goes crazy even with it on and my mom''s rat terrier is the same way with her bark collar. But if you''re more worried about them barking while you are out then I''d say a collar is the way to go.

krispi

Shiny_Rock

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 10:11:10 AM
Author: blushingbride

Date: 5/7/2008 9:15:47 AM
Harriet - that''s the one we have. It comes with spray, but you should also buy some refills too. One bottle lasts about a month or two.
Definitely hit up ebay for one of these if you can''t find one on amazon or petsmart/petco in the 40 dollar range. They are the exact same brand and work the same.

I have left the collar on my dog all day long before. It hasn''t been an issue for him as far as I know.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Report:
The collar works on my girl. It scares her even when my boy gets sprayed. Unfortunately, it seems to have no effect on the little bugger.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Did you ever find a cure for your little bugger?

I will try the citronella collar. I have a 3.5 year old Maltese, her name is Chanel.

She barks/growls at ALL noises and when I go walking, she turns into Killer Maltese...she barks and growls aggressively at people and I just started living in an apartment setting and I don''t want to offend people. I feel horrible. I''m thinking to myself, what in the world did I do to cause this?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid not. Can you take Chanel to a trainer (not that a Maltese is threatening)?

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Have you taken your doggie to a trainer? I suppose I could take her to a trainer. I''ve never used a trainer before actually. Never had any serious problems with any of my dogs. She is a feisty little thing, even when I purchased her from the breeder. Maybe I can ask her breeder too? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results