shape
carat
color
clarity

Any advice for a novice???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ian_uk

Rough_Rock
Hi;
I have been looking on here for a while and I think that i really need advice!
I am in the UK and planning to propose to my partner very soon.
The advice here is great and has helped me so i am now looking for a little more!

I am a dunce when it comes to knowing about a diamond and don''t want to get ripped off. I have read the advice many times but it just confuses me even more!

Basically I am looking for an emerald cut diamond on a very simple platinum setting and i am looking to spend about £1800 all in. (this includes the 17.5% import tax i assume i would have to pay) I would love to spend more but my bank balance says otherwise!
The diamond doesn''t have to be perfect but i want to get the biggest diamond i can whilst also buying quality. I have seen rings with a 0.7 carat diamond on bluenile.com for £1500 plus VAT but i have also hear some worrying things about the company in terms of customer service/quality etc. The problem is that i just don''t get know if i am going to be ripped off!
Does anyone have any advice on what i can get or the best way for me to do this?
I just want a special ring and think i need some assistance!

Cheers

Ian

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I can''t help with emerald cuts, I can help with customs charges
1.gif

I paid 17.5% VAT and 2.5% import tax. You have to account for your shipping costs too - its around £50 to have something shipped to you, and customs add that to the cost of your purchase when they are calculating duty costs.

stormtrooper

Rough_Rock
Ian,

I think if you are willing to spend a bit more, you can send the stone to an independent appraiser (numerous recommended from this forum) to make sure it is of the quality stone that you are looking for.

Good luck!

ian_uk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that - i had forgotten about the 2.5% so will have to account for that.
The extra £50 is negligible, I am not worrying about that.

Just the diamond and setting to take care of now! This is where i am struggling - i have no clue!
The more i look the more confused i get! All I know is to avoid the UK shops like the plague!

All i want is a quality diamond that looks good to the naked eye - i didn''t think it would be so hard!

ian_uk

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 2:12:37 PM
Author: stormtrooper

Ian,

I think if you are willing to spend a bit more, you can send the stone to an independent appraiser (numerous recommended from this forum) to make sure it is of the quality stone that you are looking for.

Good luck!
Thanks!
I had the idea of sending the stone to an appraiser but the problem is that I am still unclear of what quality the stone is that i am looking for initially!
I have read all the info but am still not 100% comfortable and don''t want to be ripped off.
Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its usually a bit quiet round here on the weekends.... I am sure you will get some help soon
1.gif

stormtrooper

Rough_Rock
Ahhh...if that is the case, then it is up to your comfort level.

I am also in the process of purchasing a diamond for an e-ring. I think like you, I am also a little concerned about not making the correct decisions...so I''m going a slightly more conservative approach. I am putting quality first before size.

ian_uk

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 3:13:45 PM
Author: stormtrooper
Ahhh...if that is the case, then it is up to your comfort level.

I am also in the process of purchasing a diamond for an e-ring. I think like you, I am also a little concerned about not making the correct decisions...so I''m going a slightly more conservative approach. I am putting quality first before size.
These decisions are not easy are they?
Quality v Size is difficult for a novice.
For this particular ring all i want is something that looks the part and is a decent size rather than looking for the perfect quality.
It still has to look good though.
I will be making a further purchase next summer which will be the "perfect" diamond for my partner - assuming she says yes when i propose!
This is more of an everyday diamond that looks the part and i don''t want to be paying too much as she has lost diamonds in the past!

E B

Ideal_Rock
ian,

James Allen carries emerald cut diamonds and has photos of most so you know what the diamond looks like (in terms of clarity) before you buy. They've received good reviews from PS members, too, and it looks like they ship internationally (shipping and insurance = $50 + 1% of purchase).

James Allen

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
You might also like to consider Blue Nile as they have an office in the UK.

You'll have access to the same 70 odd thousand diamonds as on the US site.

The prices show that they assemble the ring locally so there is no 2.5% duty on the completed ring (loose diamonds are duty free), only the (relatively cheap) setting. Only VAT needs be added to the prices you see online. Range of settings is not as big as the States, so I guess they might have them locally stocked.

The prices are not inflated - just currency converted and at better rates than the consumer can get.

Also save on international shipping - they ship it for free.

Blue Nile are smart puppies.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 2:10:47 PM
Author: Maisie
1.gif

I paid 17.5% VAT and 2.5% import tax.

Just to clarify... the 2.5% import tax was because the stone was set in a ring, yes?
(unset, a diamond doesnt attract import duty, just VAT)

the other option is to buy in the US, and have the ring set by a local jeweller, which is what i did, there are plenty of small jewellers who would undertake such work, but not the large chain stores like Earnest Jones etc.

ian_uk

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/18/2007 6:43:53 PM
Author: stebbo
You might also like to consider Blue Nile as they have an office in the UK.

You''ll have access to the same 70 odd thousand diamonds as on the US site.

The prices show that they assemble the ring locally so there is no 2.5% duty on the completed ring (loose diamonds are duty free), only the (relatively cheap) setting. Only VAT needs be added to the prices you see online. Range of settings is not as big as the States, so I guess they might have them locally stocked.

The prices are not inflated - just currency converted and at better rates than the consumer can get.

Also save on international shipping - they ship it for free.

Blue Nile are smart puppies.
Thanks for the response.
I had already considered blue nile but i have been searching for any other opportunities as i have come across a few people that have had (what shall i say) ''less than perfect'' experiences with them. I am not ruling them out though.

Can anybody recommend any specific diamonds i could consider in my ring budget of £1,800?
Either from bluenile or elsewhere?
I just want to get a great product without the worry of problems following the purchase.

Ian

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Personally i would get in touch with the likes of Whiteflash, Good old Gold, Wink Jones, who, while they might not have emeralds in stock, they know what they are looking for and would help find you a diamond within your budget.

i guesss at £1800 all in your looking at spending what? £1000 or so on the diamond, £200 on the ring (actually a bit more if your wanting platinum maybe £300-400), and leaving enough over for the tax/import which on an unset diamond your looking at about £300 in tax. slightly more on a set diamond, because of the additional 2.5%

so work on $2000-2250 when searching the listings.
James Allen lists several diamonds in house within your budget, but when i click the link to his page it seems to be currently down, so i dont know whats happened there. (just says under construction, coming soon)

for the sort of money your looking at getting something which is 0.6-0.7ct F/G colour VVS/VS clarity. (i''m saying that as there arent that many diamonds listed on the ''in house'' search but a 0.7ct G VVS1 at james allen for $1940 or 0.5ct E VS1 for $1800 and a 0.6 F VS2 for $2291 both at BN

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 6:41:11 AM
Author: Lord Summerisle

1.gif

Just to clarify... the 2.5% import tax was because the stone was set in a ring, yes?

the other option is to buy in the US, and have the ring set by a local jeweller, which is what i did, there are plenty of small jewellers who would undertake such work, but not the large chain stores like Earnest Jones etc.
Yes I think the import tax was because my diamond was set in the ring before it was shipped.
1.gif

ian_uk

Rough_Rock
Any advice before i take the plunge and just buy something?
Am i worrying over nothing?
Any help appreciated!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly wish I could help you. I really don''t think you should rush into buying a diamond until you know more about them. Spend some time reading up on them... maybe use the search tool at the top of the page and read about other peoples experience with emerald cuts.....

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

trinity911

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 6:41:11 AM

1.gif

Hi Lord Summerisle,

I''d be really interested in knowing which UK jeweller you went to as I''ve been looking for a few and can''t find any that will undertake the work unless they flog you the stone at an overinflated price. I''m especially interested in jewellers in the greater london area...

thanks!

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
the jeweller i used will be a bit far from you - as i am near Manchester.

but it was:
Sivverys Jewellers
23a, Bolton St, Bury, Lancashire BL9 0EY
Tel: 0161 761 2492

who is a one man band.

A couple of friends of mine used Equinox Jewellers in Hoddesdon - one bought their stone from whiteflash and had it set by Equinox, the other bought the unset stone and ring from Equinox, but was initally looking at getting just the ring

Equinox Jewellery Design Studio
100, High St, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire EN11 8HD
Tel: 01992 448544

puts that just north of the M25

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried Goldsmiths? They can order a setting for you and set your diamond. I don''t think they are too expensive.

trinity911

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 2:51:16 AM

but it was:
Sivverys Jewellers

who is a one man band.

A couple of friends of mine used Equinox Jewellers in Hoddesdon - one bought their stone from whiteflash and had it set by Equinox, the other bought the unset stone and ring from Equinox, but was initally looking at getting just the ring

We are thinking of buying our stone from WF too - do you know if your friend had it independently appraised before shipping over as we''re after an oval and I know that with this cut, it''s important to eyeball first as ''ideal'' stats don''t mean so much.

Sorry to highjack your thread Ian but it looks as tho we''re in the same position. I think that buying from the States is the way forward and so far, we''ve found that WF, James Allen and Abazias have been great. Also, check out the Pricescope prices by entering your stats at the top of the page - usually you get a discount on the stone this way which may help stretch your budget. E.g. we''re after a 2ct oval that was around $20k on the WF site but $19k-ish with the PS discount. Can''t be bad!

Thanks for your response Maisie - I looked at their site and to be honest, not sure they''d have what we''re looking for (thin pave cut band with basket setting) or maybe that''s just the snob in me!
20.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 6:47:14 AM
Author: trinity911

but it was:
Sivverys Jewellers

who is a one man band.

We are thinking of buying our stone from WF too - do you know if your friend had it independently appraised before shipping over as we''re after an oval and I know that with this cut, it''s important to eyeball first as ''ideal'' stats don''t mean so much.

Sorry to highjack your thread Ian but it looks as tho we''re in the same position. I think that buying from the States is the way forward and so far, we''ve found that WF, James Allen and Abazias have been great. Also, check out the Pricescope prices by entering your stats at the top of the page - usually you get a discount on the stone this way which may help stretch your budget. E.g. we''re after a 2ct oval that was around $20k on the WF site but $19k-ish with the PS discount. Can''t be bad!

Thanks for your response Maisie - I looked at their site and to be honest, not sure they''d have what we''re looking for (thin pave cut band with basket setting) or maybe that''s just the snob in me!
20.gif
I used to work there and I know they can order any setting you want. They have a cataloge. I agree that they probably won''t be the standard you are looking for in terms of design.

Other than that there are a few jewellers in London to choose from... the one that sticks out in my head is Daniel Prince. I don''t know what their prices are like but I would have a look....

http://www.danielprince.co.uk/

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2007 10:20:29 AM
Author: ian_uk
Can i ask for an opinion on this please? (hope the link works)

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&track=view_details_btn&elem=img&pid=LD01107466&filter_id=1

I really have no idea what i am looking for!

Might be best to post the specs of this diamond in a new thread for maximum exposure (if you haven''t bought already
1.gif
). Wish I could help you but I don''t know emerald cuts intimately enough.

I think it''s worth waiting for a day or two to get a bit of feedback if you can.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 6:47:14 AM
Author: trinity911

but it was:

Sivverys Jewellers

who is a one man band.

20.gif

ok, i bought my stone from Whiteflash, and had it appraised by Old Miner - David Atlas of Gem Appraisers, i had enquired with Richard Sherwood as well, but he''d said he was snowed under at the time (this was 3 years ago) and was going on holiday at the time so didnt want to commit and hold me up.

3 of my friends have got engaged recently, 2 of them bought their diamonds from Whiteflash, neither had it appraised before shipping, one had it set by a family friend who was a jewellers, and the other had it set in a customised ring at Equinox, the 3rd bought both the diamond hand had it set in a customised stock ring, both from Equinox.

but we all bought ACA Round Brilliants.

but, i know from talking to John @ whiteflash, they put the same effort into sourcing excellent cut fancy shapes as they do assessing to ensure thier Princess and Rounds meet Brians requirments for ACA inventory

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results