shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Advice for a (hopefully) Budding Designer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
So, as you may or may not recall, a few months back I posted wondering what I should do with my law degree...I'd graduated from law school in 2001...and was feeling pretty unfulfilled, my job ended at the end of 2007 because the judge for whom I'd worked retired.

Long story short, I have searched and thought and pondered about what I wanted to be...and I think I want to design jewelry.

I started taking classes at my local arts center. I'm learning the basics in wax casting and metal working. I'm sketching and designing pieces. I have a number of stones that are just sort of sitting in settings I don't like...so at this point, I'm trying to design jewelry incorporating the stones I already have...and I'm really enjoying and thinking I may not be totally horrible at it.

All that having been said, does anyone professional or otherwise, have any words of advice or caution for a total newbie designer?

Thanks-
Lyss

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2008 9:04:37 PM
Author:littlelysser
So, as you may or may not recall, a few months back I posted wondering what I should do with my law degree...I''d graduated from law school in 2001...and was feeling pretty unfulfilled, my job ended at the end of 2007 because the judge for whom I''d worked retired.

Long story short, I have searched and thought and pondered about what I wanted to be...and I think I want to design jewelry.

I started taking classes at my local arts center. I''m learning the basics in wax casting and metal working. I''m sketching and designing pieces. I have a number of stones that are just sort of sitting in settings I don''t like...so at this point, I''m trying to design jewelry incorporating the stones I already have...and I''m really enjoying and thinking I may not be totally horrible at it.

All that having been said, does anyone professional or otherwise, have an words of advice or caution for a total newbie designer?

Thanks-
Lyss
How about somebody just wanting to wish you the absolute best of luck. You can do anything if it is something that makes your heart happy.

shay

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I second that thoughtful encouraging post from Shay! Woo Hoo! You go girlfriend!
36.gif

Why don''t you share your vision of design with us. Let us get to know where your interest lies. And post some designs. It would be fun to see your progress.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m a professional designer - textiles/book illustration/jewellery (although after 11years full time designing, it''s more in my spare time at the moment!).

Advice I can give:

1) Keep an up-to-date portfolio. I liked those A4 black ones - put original drawings, photos of finished pieces, magazine articles with your work in etc.

Make sure that everything in your portfolio is beautifully presented - no coffee stains, dirty fingermarks or ripped edges. Spray mount things onto a sheet of backing paper if they are less than A4. Clean up original drawings and use fixative is necessary.

2) I found coloured paper with a texture worked really well for gem illustration - you can use white gouache for diamonds etc and they don''t disappear.

For some reason I''ve found people like to see a range of CAD and hand-drawn images. No idea why - since most work is now computer based.
33.gif

3) Be really pushy about getting internships and work experience - even if you do it for free. No-one will come looking for you, and advertised jobs are not the best route in.

There were 55 of us graduating from my degree course and after a year only 5 were still working in design. Not all were necessarily the most talented on the course, but we were all pretty pushy and determined people. I kept up a barrage on one company I wanted to work for, for over a year - in the end I got a contract as a designer for the top silk design-studio in Italy. I tell you, the bribery and corruption I employed in the form of tins of Scottish Shortbread...

4) Enjoy it - it''s not an easy career path, and people do tend to assume that you are a brainless but talented monkey... oh and the pay is pretty crap. But I loved it - and hope to go back asap (mortgage payments allowing!)

Good luck!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
LS: My avatar is one of my dogs, NOT A HORSE!
Thanks what kind of dog is that? Looks very alert..
I would say : GO FOR IT!!! Also like DKS idea of posting some of your designs..Wishing you lots of luck..

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys!

First, and most importantly, that dog is my lovely Ibizan Hound. His name is Izzie. He is smart, totally insane and really funny. I also have Cricket, a small, black muttski version of Izzie.

Shay, DKS and scarletta, THANKS for the good wishes!

And Pandora - thank you for the info. I''m printing and putting it in my file. If you think of other words of advice, please tell me!

It seems that I am always thinking about the way that I''d like to reset my own jewelry, well, perhaps I should consider it as a career.

At this point, I can describe my style as natural, simple, modern. I like making holes. I like unfinished edges. I have some sketches - some of which are not so good, some of which are pretty alright. Once I know what I''m working on in each class - I'' currently taking a wax casting class and a basics class. I''ve used a jewelry saw to cut aluminum and played with wax.

Once I decide which pieces I''m going to work on, I''ll update scan the sketches, if anyone is interested.

Lyss

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
His name is Izzie. He is smart, totally insane and really funny.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Just wanted to say: FREAKIN COOL! I love that you found an outlet for your creativity AND are pursuing it professionally! Way to go :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results