shape
carat
color
clarity

Anxiety about our future? (POLL)

How concerned are you about the near future of our world in general, and your country in particular?

• Very concerned

Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Somewhat concerned

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Not concerned at all

Votes: 11 12.8%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Natural gas fuels over 50% of New England's electricity generation, so its the contraints on the New England gas supply that seems to be causing the concern.

I grew up in the 70s and remember when we had to be in line for many many many hours just to get gas for the car. I remember being there with my dad while he waited. We all made the best of it because there was no other option. What we have done (and continue to do) to this world, I just have no words. I just feel sadness and hoping somehow it all works out. New England winters can be brutal. I hope everyone makes it through OK.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I grew up in the 70s and remember when we had to be in line for many many many hours just to get gas for the car. I remember being there with my dad while he waited. We all made the best of it because there was no other option. What we have done (and continue to do) to this world, I just have no words. I just feel sadness and hoping somehow it all works out. New England winters can be brutal. I hope everyone makes it through OK.

We had long lines for gas and certain days when you could get it. I do hope everyone has enough fuel for the winter.

Betty Baguettes

Rough_Rock
Gen X here too. My high school physics teacher pulled out his geiger counter when Chernobyl melted down. That's always stuck with me.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada Only a second to respond, but I came across this interactive site that will show the effects of a nuclear attack. You chose the location and the size of the munition. It is quite scary. I remember preparing for this by hiding under our desks when I was in school. :oops2:

Not for the faint of heart…I can’t vouch for the accuracy.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm certain that things are VERY F-ed up now in our country, our world and our earth's climate.
But when things are very bad, huge, and 1000% out of my control I do my best to just get on with my life and ignore it.

If it happens, it happens.

But I do vote for the side that I perceive to be more helpful and less harmful.

You know what the bumper sticker says, "Save the Planet, KILL yourself."

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Slickk although it’s surreal that even exists :o

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had long lines for gas and certain days when you could get it. I do hope everyone has enough fuel for the winter.

Yes. Same. We could only go on certain days.

I'm certain that things are VERY F-ed up now in our country, our world and our earth's climate.
But when things are very bad, huge, and 1000% out of my control I do my best to just get on with my life and ignore it.

If it happens, it happens.

But I do vote for the side that I perceive to be more helpful and less harmful.

You know what the bumper sticker says, "Save the Planet, KILL yourself."

Human beings are the worst thing that ever happened to this world.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in UK, apart from the political chaos and cost of living going up, the mood does not appear to be too downbeat, not for me anyway.

I live everyday as it comes, and try to be as content and happy as I can, doing the things that I like to do, and spending time with pets and people that I like etc...

Can't worry too much about the future as I could have an accident at anytime!

DK :))

Exactly this. UK also. Economy has gone to rat sh!t, but we'll make our way out of the other side like we always have done. War doesn't concern or worry me, of which I am truly grateful for. I live each & every day as happily & stress free as I can.

Betty Baguettes

Rough_Rock
Random comment. I just remembered that the Queen fixed trucks during WWII. She was awesome. :)

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 6.15.17 PM.png

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t love the idea of our future with climate change. The right wing and all of their guns and hatred scares me too. We have prepared. I’m sorry if that seems crazy, but my crazy makes me prepare. I have food for years. I have a means for getting away. I have a husband and son who tote guns. They are a little more redneck than lil ole me, who is far to the left, but what can i do? Yes, this all might seem crazy to many of you, but i have OCD that is obsessed with safety. I must do what i must.

DiaLuv

Shiny_Rock
I pray and that brings me peace and comfort.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I always think of geoffry west and the idea of crisis innovation cycles. The idea is that as things (populations) grow the finite resources make the growth unsustainable triggering a crisis, which is then broken by an innovation which resets the system allowing it to grow again. You can see below that as the curve begins to diverge towards infinity in the y-axis, the system breaks into a new parameter space and the cycle starts again.

"To avoid this crisis and subsequent collapse, major qualitative changes must occur which effectively reset the initial conditions and parameters of Eq. 3. Thus, to maintain growth, the response must be “innovative” to ensure that the predominant dynamic of the city remains in the “wealth and knowledge creation” phase where β >1 and N(0) > (R/Y0)1/(β−1). In that case, a new cycle is initiated, and the city continues to grow following Eq. 2 and Fig. 3c but with new parameters and initial conditions, Ni(0), the population at the transition time between adjacent cycles. This process can be continually repeated leading to multiple cycles, thereby pushing potential collapse into the future, Fig. 4a."

zpq0160759820004.jpeg.jpg

Unfortunately the ultimate conclusions is the whole thing is unsustainable. But I think we may live in a crisis innovation cycle (maybe we need to due to our models of cities, self organization and principals of how economies work). And we will need to innovate to break the crisis conditions.

danusia

Rough_Rock
My answer is both yes and no. I am concerned and wonder what I alone can do. My parents who have passed were born in the 1920s and survived stock market crash, WW2 and having to leave their country and go to a displaced person's camp. Traveling solo to the US to start a new life with no other family members here. Call it survival of the fittest or whatever. It is good to be concerned, but not healthy to be consumed with fear.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the shootings, shoplifting and general all out increase in crime and insanity, this world is going to hell in a handbasket. I fear for my daughter and her future children.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My answer is both yes and no. I am concerned and wonder what I alone can do. My parents who have passed were born in the 1920s and survived stock market crash, WW2 and having to leave their country and go to a displaced person's camp. Traveling solo to the US to start a new life with no other family members here. Call it survival of the fittest or whatever. It is good to be concerned, but not healthy to be consumed with fear.

You could have been writing about my late parents-- it was exactly the same for them.

Betty Baguettes

Rough_Rock

Regarding what we can do alone...for the short term I would probably want the items on FEMA's emergency supply list (at a minimum).

I wouldn't want to compete with people (men, possibly armed) for food/water/basic supplies at the grocery store, etc. when and if there is an emergency. Old Betty Baguettes is gonna lose that battle! :eek-2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is worrisome but not within my control. I honestly would have no desire to survive a nuclear attack; surviving would be worse than death in my opinion. The only thing I have control over is my vote and I use it to support the folks that I feel would more likely look at it from my point of view. I am very concerned about the future for my kids and grandkids. I think when you are younger you tend to take these issues more in stride; not that you don't acknowledge the problem but are busy just getting on with living your life. As an older person, I am totally worried about the implication of wars and climate change. However, I too try to live my life each day and hope for the best. It is all I can do and fretting about the future steals the joy from today.

danusia

Rough_Rock
I remember when All in the Family appeared on tv in 1971 over 40 years ago and the son-in-law was concerned about bringing a child into this messed up world. I don't think there will ever be a time when all is totally well and we will never be concerned.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember when All in the Family appeared on tv in 1971 over 40 years ago and the son-in-law was concerned about bringing a child into this messed up world. I don't think there will ever be a time when all is totally well and we will never be concerned.

I remember that too. I think we often long for the ‘good old days’ but in truth, there have always been concerns about the future for any generation. Some different, some the same and yet the world keeps on spinning. One day it might not but who can accurately predict the future? Not me for sure so just one day at a time - the only way any of us can live life!

Betty Baguettes

Rough_Rock

I remember that too. I think we often long for the ‘good old days’ but in truth, there have always been concerns about the future for any generation. Some different, some the same and yet the world keeps on spinning. One day it might not but who can accurately predict the future? Not me for sure so just one day at a time - the only way any of us can live life!

True. But I think Mike/Meathead would be MUCH more concerned about bringing a child into the world in 2022:

Betty Baguettes

Rough_Rock
70 votes so far:

60.0% Very Concerned
24.3% Somewhat Concerned
15.7% Not Concerned At All

I'll leave this poll up for a little while longer. Vote changes allowed.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

we had carless days during the oil shock in the late 70s
you choose a day not to drive on and got a little coloured sticker for your windscreen to match the day
our day was Wednesday / orange sticker
my granddad went for a wee holiday to visit his brother in the north island, for a rest from looking after grandma and grandma went into a home for a few weeks

Dad went down to the MoT and got an exemption so we could go visist grandma every day till granddad got home

i honestly do not know how some of you guys cope with the winters you get
you are a hardy and resourcful bunch

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Brookzo

Rough_Rock
Inflation makes me worried a lot lately, feels like I'm only able to buy a half of what I've used to for the same money compared to last year... Probably a lot more subjective with all the buzz, but hell if it's not concerning.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inflation makes me worried a lot lately, feels like I'm only able to buy a half of what I've used to for the same money compared to last year... Probably a lot more subjective with all the buzz, but hell if it's not concerning.

as an example i needed cinamon this week
its usually $2 to $2.10 but it was $2.50
now i know thats a small and really an unessental item - but also how is that 10% inflation
frozen veg which i buy a lot of has all gone up =frozen spinach used to be $2 and now its $3.50
green beans similar
ok we shouldnt be eatting hot chips but frozen oven fries were always also $2 and are now closer to $4
and i buy the store brand of all those items
i sometimes think someone is taking the pi**
dont start me on meat
or cat food especially the cat biscuits (kibble)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results