shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Paste Jewelry in Ultrasonic Cleaner?

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I'm curious to know if it's safe to put antique paste jewelry in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I've had a hankering for a starburst/sunburst brooch, and am looking at antique starbursts made with paste. I've seen several that might be suitable, and thinking it would be a good proof of concept to see if I'd actually wear/use one enough to spring for a diamond version.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Might the ultrasonic damage/remove the foil backing common on these pieces? I don’t have any personal experience with this combination, but I would wonder about that? A starburst/sunburst brooch sounds luscious!

Reactions: sgb

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not 100% sure but i do not think this is a good idea
I think you have to be more gentle with this kind of jewlery with the paste stones
And you know a lot of the antique stuff is really beautiful and well made, you wouldn't want to bu**er it up ;)2

i would think a soft tooth brush non- moisturized dish washing liquid (Dawn is mentened a lot here on PS) in warm water is more the ticket

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
I have been advised not to put my Antique Paste jewellery in an ultrasonic or use any general ‘supermarket’ cleaner/solvent.
I would suggest researching an appropriate jeweller in your area to inspect your piece and provide advise on cleaning etc!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Might the ultrasonic damage/remove the foil backing common on these pieces? I don’t have any personal experience with this combination, but I would wonder about that? A starburst/sunburst brooch sounds luscious!
This is what I'm curious about, @MiniMinerva. I wonder how foiled pieces can be safely cleaned. Or maybe they can't be? The starburst has captured my imagination to wear on jackets, sweaters, and so on—and to also be able to wear it as a pendant. Big dreams, slim pickin's for brooches/pendants. :lol:

I am not 100% sure but i do not think this is a good idea
I think you have to be more gentle with this kind of jewlery with the paste stones
And you know a lot of the antique stuff is really beautiful and well made, you wouldn't want to bu**er it up ;)2

i would think a soft tooth brush non- moisturized dish washing liquid (Dawn is mentened a lot here on PS) in warm water is more the ticket
Agree that the paste (glass) is more susceptible to damage. A soft toothbrush and mild detergent, as you suggest might do the job well.

I have been advised not to put my Antique Paste jewellery in an ultrasonic or use any general ‘supermarket’ cleaner/solvent.
I would suggest researching an appropriate jeweller in your area to inspect your piece and provide advise on cleaning etc!
Oh! Great to know @Brigid! Thank you for this. I don't actually own anything paste, as yet. I'm doing some research and due diligence prior to purchasing anything.

What sort of paste jewelry do you have? :bigsmile:

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
This is what I'm curious about, @MiniMinerva. I wonder how foiled pieces can be safely cleaned. Or maybe they can't be? The starburst has captured my imagination to wear on jackets, sweaters, and so on—and to also be able to wear it as a pendant. Big dreams, slim pickin's for brooches/pendants. :lol:

I am here for your big and versatile starburst dreams!

In case it’s helpful, I came across this at Lang’s “Antique Jewelry University” site: https://www.langantiques.com/university/paste-2/

Sounds like foiled pieces are rather delicate, and it’s a definite no for ultrasonic or steam cleaner.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much, @MiniMinerva! That's great information, and gives me pause as to buying paste. I like things to be sparkling (literally) clean. This may not be the material for me. :???:

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, @MiniMinerva! That's great information, and gives me pause as to buying paste. I like things to be sparkling (literally) clean. This may not be the material for me. :???:

I get it…using a steamer on the regular brings me joy and I don’t even have anything special, especially by PS standards! I love to admire the more delicate pieces, but I would be a terrible caretaker and they deserve better.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
9I will take some photos of my Antique Paste pendant & necklace for you @SparklieBug!
They were my great, great Aunt’s & she travelled extensively throughout the world, I wish I knew more about the pieces.

Well add me to the list

excuse the umpteenth repeat of this story if you already know it
My widowed great aunty died when i was at primary school
her and her hubbie had no children but were particularly close to mum and her two brothers
Anyway i got all her sparkly fashion pieces to play with which would have been far from fashionable in the mid 1970s, my great aunty would have been a fashionable young thinh in the late 1920s and '30s i guess

Anyway all the sparkles eventually got lost or discarded
i feel a bit sad now because some of those pieces would have been well made but at least they were given plenty of fun with me

So i defiantly want to see your pieces

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Well add me to the list

excuse the umpteenth repeat of this story if you already know it
My widowed great aunty died when i was at primary school
her and her hubbie had no children but were particularly close to mum and her two brothers
Anyway i got all her sparkly fashion pieces to play with which would have been far from fashionable in the mid 1970s, my great aunty would have been a fashionable young thinh in the late 1920s and '30s i guess

Anyway all the sparkles eventually got lost or discarded
i feel a bit sad now because some of those pieces would have been well made but at least they were given plenty of fun with me

So i defiantly want to see your pieces

I didn’t know this wonderful story, @Daisys and Diamonds ! Such lovely sparkly memories! I’ll bet they were lovely, with wonderful craftsmanship from that era. Did you have any favorite pieces that you can remember?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn’t know this wonderful story, @Daisys and Diamonds ! Such lovely sparkly memories! I’ll bet they were lovely, with wonderful craftsmanship from that era. Did you have any favorite pieces that you can remember?

Thinking about it i now right this moment i now wonder if mum or dad had taken all the pins and sharp bits off (my older cousin got all the hat pins)
They were just the sparky front bits.
Some were obvesouly brooches or earings - my mum didn't wear brooches or earings
I just used to like looking at the rainbows
No sparkly bits were missing and all the foil or what ever must have still been in good condition even after years of me playing with them

If i still had them id want to make them wearable again
but im afraid they have long gone to fashion jewlery heaven

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another thing i kind of retreat is around 1998 there was an exhibition and sale of a whole warehouse of brand new but old art deco costume jewlery -( i don't know if that's quite the correct era) - tons of sparkes like Aunty Neeter had - that had been forgotten about for decades
I dont know why or what happened - stuff all came on ships in those days -

I went to look at it but really didn't appreate that it was about to all come back into fashion
The place was packed - not just with the old sparkles but with people too
I didn't buy a thing

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Thinking about it i now right this moment i now wonder if mum or dad had taken all the pins and sharp bits off (my older cousin got all the hat pins)
They were just the sparky front bits.
Some were obvesouly brooches or earings - my mum didn't wear brooches or earings
I just used to like looking at the rainbows
No sparkly bits were missing and all the foil or what ever must have still been in good condition even after years of me playing with them

If i still had them id want to make them wearable again
but im afraid they have long gone to fashion jewlery heaven

Those memories sound even more special…to know mum or dad wanted you to be able to play with the sparkly rainbow treasures from your Aunty Neeter and took the time to remove all the pointy bits to protect you. So much love! Thank you for sharing your reminiscences with us. These pieces still exist in your heart, and you wear that everyday.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those memories sound even more special…to know mum or dad wanted you to be able to play with the sparkly rainbow treasures from your Aunty Neeter and took the time to remove all the pointy bits to protect you. So much love! Thank you for sharing your reminiscences with us. These pieces still exist in your heart, and you wear that everyday.

Well im not complaining ...
Ive now got Aunty Neeter's ER :lol-2: :kiss2:

Im sure those fun sparkles gave me my appreciation for all jewlery, high end or fun fashion
But especially inherited pieces

you will always find me on the 'i inherited grandma's pearls but are they fake?' kind of threads championing for the inherited piece and urging the OP to wear them and enjoy them

Last edited:

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Well im not complaining ...
Ive now got Aunty Neeter's ER :lol-2: :kiss2:

Im sure those fun sparkles gave me my appreciation for all jewlery, high end or fun fashion
But especially inherited pieces

you will always find me on the 'i interested my grandma's pearls but are they fake?' kind of threads championing for the inherited piece and urging the OP to wear them and enjoy them

I love this about you, @Daisys and Diamonds — you are a beautiful soul!

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
Here are some photos of my Paste Jewellery. I don’t get an opportunity to wear them but I love them dearly as they have been handed down from my Mother’s side of the family.
I haven’t worn the pendant but I did wear the necklace to a close friends wedding which was ten years ago. BC6EE78A-90D3-42D9-B837-8BD209ECFF7D.jpeg

Attachments

• 327567B3-B22F-489F-9787-C485F7EBED4A.jpeg
    327567B3-B22F-489F-9787-C485F7EBED4A.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 905
  • D5BEFB95-2968-42FA-BBDF-0E1DB730B86D.jpeg
    D5BEFB95-2968-42FA-BBDF-0E1DB730B86D.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 903
  • D03B3B30-4140-4666-83DB-A1A01B4687BE.jpeg
    D03B3B30-4140-4666-83DB-A1A01B4687BE.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 979
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some photos of my Paste Jewellery. I don’t get an opportunity to wear them but I love them dearly as they have been handed down from my Mother’s side of the family.
I haven’t worn the pendant but I did wear the necklace to a close friends wedding which was ten years ago. BC6EE78A-90D3-42D9-B837-8BD209ECFF7D.jpeg

Oh Brigid they are truly fabulous
Its awsome you have them
and how wonderdul you wore them to a wedding

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
So colorful, @Brigid! Thank you for the photos. It's great to just "have" something that's of great sentimental value, even if just to take out and gaze at, rather than to wear. It's enough to have the lovely memories (and imagine how they came to be in your aunt's possession!) that come with these pretty pieces.

I have a few sentimental pieces that I don't wear because they're not my "style", yet they're precious to me because of the families' connections.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
@Brigid oh the colors are so vivid and one feels transported to another time when looking at them. How special to feel that personal connection to the past. Thank you for sharing!

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
Oh Brigid they are truly fabulous
Its awsome you have them
and how wonderdul you wore them to a wedding

Thank you! The wedding was held at a country property & wasn’t an overly formal event, the necklace suited my dress & the day perfectly.

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
So colorful, @Brigid! Thank you for the photos. It's great to just "have" something that's of great sentimental value, even if just to take out and gaze at, rather than to wear. It's enough to have the lovely memories (and imagine how they came to be in your aunt's possession!) that come with these pretty pieces.

I have a few sentimental pieces that I don't wear because they're not my "style", yet they're precious to me because of the families' connections.

Thank you for your lovely comments.
Yes, they’re just sentimental pieces but nice to have & after taking them out of their boxes to photograph I put them away again as I couldn’t imagine wearing them now.
They are simple pieces, there are far more elaborate Antique Paste jewellery so you must show us what you buy.

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
@Brigid oh the colors are so vivid and one feels transported to another time when looking at them. How special to feel that personal connection to the past. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for your lovely thoughts, the colours are vivid & pretty for what they are!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your lovely comments.
Yes, they’re just sentimental pieces but nice to have & after taking them out of their boxes to photograph I put them away again as I couldn’t imagine wearing them now.
They are simple pieces, there are far more elaborate Antique Paste jewellery so you must show us what you buy.

There time will come again =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results