shape
carat
color
clarity

antique jewelry from DH''s grandma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
The bracelet and ering is gorgeous! What treasures! Your set is beautiful as well! Thanks for sharing!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Amazing treasures! Thank you for sharing!

cheers--Sharon

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
Again, really beautiful peices! Thanks for posting the close-up of your ering and wband. I Really love that band. Actually, I think you might have just thrown me over the edge... I have been looking at one kind of like it at a store near me and trying to figure out if I want a 1/2 eternity for a matchy-matchy bling look, or a beautiful band for a not really matchy, not really blingy, but more traditional coordinating look. You might have gotten me. It looks so good on your hand. Thanks again!

Loreal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow...I love your inherited jewelry, your e-ring and wedding band! I love the detail on all pieces! That bracelet is beautiful especially with your wedding set! That diamond and sapphire ring is to die for. I''m not a gold girl, but I would love to have your wedding set! P.S. I love the dress your DH''s grandmother has on!
30.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I love how unique and pretty that bracelet is! It''s really amazing. The antique ring is stunning, I love the filigree and the sapphires.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
The ring and bracelet are just beautiful! I love the picture of his grandma wearing the bracelet--that is so special!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/8/2007 6:22:31 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl

Date: 9/7/2007 5:47:52 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
You are so lucky to have gotten them. Does DH have a sister?
Thanks! Yes, I do consider myself lucky to have them.
1.gif

DH does have one sister, but she lives very far away, & has not really been involved in aunt''s life like my DH has. He has been her only local (within around an hour, barring bad traffic on the DC beltway) relative for the past 25 years or so. Over the years, he has mowed her lawn, replaced her roof during a hot Northern Virginia summer one year, he single-handedly moved all of her belongings when she moved into a new house, & also gave her a bridge-loan so she could buy the new house before she sold the old, & has been her electrician, plumber, & on-call general handyman for all these years. And all this while he has job that keeps him out-of-town a great deal of the time with very little time off. He has really gone above and beyond the call of duty as a nephew, and has been better to her than any son could have been. So he really deserved to inherit her things, and she always speaks of him as her heir, because she appreciates it. Plus since marrying him, I''ve had to take care of her for several months, driven the hour+ to her house to help her with hygiene, get her hair cut, take her to doctors etc..., & had the sacrifice of him being away to take care of her things, which cuts into what little time he has here to work on our house. (And is also a HUGE reason why I have not had time to get my own reset done) So all in all, I don''t feel like his sister could complain that she didn''t get these things, especially since, when their mother died, she and her daughters got everything, and my DH didn''t get so much as a memento of his mother. And lastly, since DH and I don''t have children and it''s not looking likely, his sister''s daughters are the most likely heirs for this jewelry when I''m gone anyway.

wow, sorry for the longwinded answer to a simple question!
3.gif
Update: SIL came Saturday to take Aunt to her new home. We were looking at pics, including the beautiful old portrait of grandma, and she said she already has the pin and one of the rings she is wearing in the picture. All the more reason she doesn''t need the bracelet or e-ring...
2.gif

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
It''s even more priceless that you have an actual portrait of her wearing the bracelet. That would "make it" for me.

It''s a lovely heirloom and how wonderful that you are the recipient to cherish it for the next generation.

jeannie

tammygirl

Rough_Rock
That bracelet is just beautiful and what history it has!
35.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh My gosh!!! What beautiful treasures!!! I love them!!!

Linda

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Dear lordy Old-Fashioned girl, it''s all just
30.gif
G O R G E O U S
30.gif
!! Thank you so much for sharing and best of luck working out the situation with your hubbys aunt.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to post again. I just love the clothes they used to wear. Your DH''s grandmother, reminds me of mine. The small waist and the clothes. I also have pictures of my grandmother around that time. Love the big hats they used to wear.
9.gif

Linda

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, what gorgeous, gorgeous treasures!!!!! You are so incredibly lucky to have them and the picture that shows her wearing them.
36.gif
36.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Catmom, Linda W, Love in Bloom, and everyone else!
Catmom,
always liked your signature quote by Sonja Henie, especially now since I'm getting bad wrinkles......

Date: 11/8/2007 3:16:18 PM
Author: Linda W
I had to post again. I just love the clothes they used to wear. Your DH's grandmother, reminds me of mine. The small waist and the clothes. I also have pictures of my grandmother around that time. Love the big hats they used to wear.
9.gif

Linda
Yes, I love looking at those old photos. There is a whole photo album plus some nice family portraits of Grandma's family mostly from the 1910's (i.e. nineteen-teens?) and it is so fun seeing the neat dresses and hats. We actually even have a few tintypes, also ancestors from that same branch of the family, although unfortunately, aunt didn't know who they are specifically.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES, My mother has the tin photos too. They are so much fun to look at. I think I would have headaches with those big hats and the corsets they used to have to wear with those dresses. My grandma looked so beautiful though. She had such beautiful ivory skin. My daughter has her skin. White as porcelain.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I never did finish posting all of the pieces of jewelry DH''s aunt gave me. So far I posted the bracelet, and also her e-ring. Here is a ring that I''m not sure if it belonged to aunt or grandma (alas, aunt''s memory was too poor by the time she showed me.) I kinda have a feeling it belonged to Aunt, rather than grandma. I like grandma''s e-ring and bracelet better. Anyway, today I finally showed it to a jeweler and he confirmed that the diamonds are real. They are probably of mediocre quality at best, and the ring is not my style. But still it''s fun to get some free diamonds.

As usual my pictures of diamonds are lousy, but I will just post the few that I had taken a while back, to give you the idea.

(You can see the gold bracelet in the background...)

dscn6285 small.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Incidentally, there was a sort of jewelry show at this jeweler in Potomac, MD today. He had some absolutely GORGEOUS pieces there. Wow. Wish I could show you pictures of them. Wish I would have inherited something like them!!
31.gif
But anyway, instead all I can show you is another view of Aunt''s ring:

DSCN6148 diamond extravaganza.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Profile:

DSCN6149 AGB or DOT blinger.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you deserve them! That is awesome that she has so much to go around (lucky lady). I love the old photos too. How cool! Her diamond ring is beautiful!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
That''ll have to do for now on that ring. Just one other pic for now, of the ering again, with two little pins. The pins, I am assuming, were grandma''s, since they seem more like her style and go with her e-ring. Someday, when I have time and learn to take better photos, I''ll try to post more/better pictures. Also, there was a pearl ring with a few little diamonds, and also a yellow ring, citrine? It''s too bad Aunt lost her memory so bad, she couldn''t tell me more about them.

dscn6299 ering 2 pins.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 8:53:26 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Oh you deserve them! That is awesome that she has so much to go around (lucky lady). I love the old photos too. How cool! Her diamond ring is beautiful!
Thanks! I must admit, I always had a secret hope that maybe someday I'd get DH's grandma's e-ring, if such a ring existed, since he has helped his aunt so much over the years. Little did I know about the cool bracelet and the other pieces! Aunt was her mother's only daughter, and took care of her for the last 10 infirm years of her life. For a while Aunt couldn't find the jewelry, but then this summer we were looking at them (after we found them of course), and she said that I could have them! (With the stipulation that they stay in the family of course.) I was so thrilled! Wasn't even sure if this blingy ring was real, although she did have it with the "fine" jewelry, so luckily indeed it is. And since I have almost nothing to show for the last two years except having done TONS of work helping Aunt, and having 2 miscarriages, it is a little consolation. Would gladly trade it all for a treasure like the one in your avatar instead, though!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, OFG, your post made me tear up. I am sorry you have had such a rough two years. I hope you get your own treasure soon! Hopefully your doctor has some insight.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 8:47:32 PM
Incidentally, there was a sort of jewelry show at this jeweler in Potomac, MD today. He had some absolutely GORGEOUS pieces there. Wow. Wish I could show you pictures of them. Wish I would have inherited something like them!!
31.gif
Jewelry store? In Potomac? Do tell - that''s right up the road from me!

Love the bracelet. I have seen a couple somewhat similar to that before. I think it must have been a style way back when. Wish I knew more about the history of such things...

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 9:54:47 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69

31.gif
It''s called Edward Ayre jewelers, on River Road. 10220 River rd. Suite 111. 301-765-6240. He should still have it on display today. It ends today. I should have mentioned it earlier in the week; we could have tried to go at the same time!

Love the bracelet. I have seen a couple somewhat similar to that before. I think it must have been a style way back when. Wish I knew more about the history of such things...
Thanks! Wish I did too. I think she got it before she was married, probably in the 1910''s. (Always sounds funny, trying to write "Nineteen-teens".) She was married in 1917.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/15/2007 11:07:19 AM

31.gif
It''s called Edward Ayre jewelers, on River Road. 10220 River rd. Suite 111. 301-765-6240. He should still have it on display today. It ends today. I should have mentioned it earlier in the week; we could have tried to go at the same time!

Thanks! Wish I did too. I think she got it before she was married, probably in the 1910''s. (Always sounds funny, trying to write ''Nineteen-teens''.) She was married in 1917.
Oh I''ve heard of them but never knew where they were. I''ll try to see if I can go by there today before the icestorm hits!

Did you go to the trunk show at Mervis awhile back? It was the first time that I went & they had some awesome stuff. The JB Star stuff was great if you love colored stones. We should def. try to meet up next time they have a good trunk show in the area.
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OFG, those pieces are so pretty and special!

(I don''t want to change the subject of this thread, but would you and your husband consider adoption while still trying for pregnancy? We adopted our third child and it was the very BEST decision! There were childless couples who adopted with us and some have even gone back to China to adopt another! And one adopted, had a baby, and then went back to adopt a third! So adoption is a wonderful alternative if you really want to be parents to a child. It''s not second best, I promise. I don''t mean to get too personal, but I feel sad when I read your posts about your miscarriages, and you seem like you''d be a great mom!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results