shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique family ring

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I was recently passed down a couple of antique/vintage rings that originally belonged to my mother-in-law's grandmother ca. 1920s. (Nobody knows how she came to possess them.) This one is rose gold with hand chased yellow gold floral wreath around a bezel set elongated oval aquamarine-colored stone. When my MIL got the ring, the stone was pretty abraded, so she had it polished into a cabochon. It's stamped 10K SB. I'm wondering how to tell if this is an actual gemstone or just a pretty piece of glass. Was it a thing to set glass in gold rings?

Sorry if the photos are huge, I'm on mobile.
D75EAE9A-350F-421E-B4B6-465B5020508B.jpeg C2C5F3F5-03AF-4222-BCD2-54EFD6C54DF0.jpeg 5F67AB90-3E32-4BF2-BF1E-19C6F4F06BB7.jpeg 5845B90D-E9BD-47EA-92B7-4A8A32687D82.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I was recently passed down a couple of antique/vintage rings that originally belonged to my mother-in-law's grandmother ca. 1920s. (Nobody knows how she came to possess them.) This one is rose gold with hand chased yellow gold floral wreath around a bezel set elongated oval aquamarine-colored stone. When my MIL got the ring, the stone was pretty abraded, so she had it polished into a cabochon. It's stamped 10K SB. I'm wondering how to tell if this is an actual gemstone or just a pretty piece of glass. Was it a thing to set glass in gold rings?

D75EAE9A-350F-421E-B4B6-465B5020508B.jpeg C2C5F3F5-03AF-4222-BCD2-54EFD6C54DF0.jpeg 5F67AB90-3E32-4BF2-BF1E-19C6F4F06BB7.jpeg 5845B90D-E9BD-47EA-92B7-4A8A32687D82.jpeg

OMG !
Regardless of the material, that stone is gorgouse
Your MIL certainly did it a favour
Have you worn it out much ?
Did your MIL wear it much?

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
OMG !
Regardless of the material, that stone is gorgouse
Your MIL certainly did it a favour
Have you worn it out much ?
Did your MIL wear it much?

I have worn them both several times since I got them about 6 mos. ago. I love them both. I think my MIL wore it some, but wasn't really her style. She wore the art deco one more often (will post pics shortly).

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Here's the other one, black onyx set with a single diamond in a 14K yellow gold filigree band. Looks more art deco to me. MIL said when this came to her it had been stepped on and the original onyx cracked down the middle. I don't know who she got to repair it, but they really did an excellent job. 8C507453-F097-45A4-9325-A3057931961E.jpeg 06F6B660-CC64-4A26-BB30-0E66FFABC08C.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the other one, black onyx set with a single diamond in a 14K yellow gold filigree band. Looks more art deco to me. MIL said when this came to her it had been stepped on and the original onyx cracked down the middle. I don't know who she got to repair it, but they really did an excellent job. 8C507453-F097-45A4-9325-A3057931961E.jpeg 06F6B660-CC64-4A26-BB30-0E66FFABC08C.jpeg

Wow !
I love that one too
What a good lady your MIL was to preserve this family history for future generations
Id love onyx to make a come back

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

The settings are just beautiful

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
These are beautiful rings and look well restored! I especially love the first one as I'm partial to Arts and Crafts/Art Nouveau designs. There were some amazing jewellery designers and workshops in the US during the period (since your ring is made of 10k gold, I imagine your ring is American), although sadly I'm not very familiar with them yet.

Arts and Crafts designers valued craftsmanship over expensive material, therefore many semi precious stones such as moonstone, carnelian, rose quartz and amethyst were used. Art glass was also often seen, especially in silver pieces. It's more likely for a gold setting to hold a real gemstone, however there are many exceptions and stones could have been changed out anytime. You should totally bring it to a jeweller's if you'd like to find out more! They should be able to tell you broadly what the stone may be, very easily.

The second ring is definitely more of a typical Art Deco design. I think it's a look that's well loved here on PS. The onyx with the inset is gorgeous. The yellow gold metal is a bit unusual though, perhaps?

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
These are beautiful rings and look well restored! I especially love the first one as I'm partial to Arts and Crafts/Art Nouveau designs. There were some amazing jewellery designers and workshops in the US during the period (since your ring is made of 10k gold, I imagine your ring is American), although sadly I'm not very familiar with them yet.

Arts and Crafts designers valued craftsmanship over expensive material, therefore many semi precious stones such as moonstone, carnelian, rose quartz and amethyst were used. Art glass was also often seen, especially in silver pieces. It's more likely for a gold setting to hold a real gemstone, however there are many exceptions and stones could have been changed out anytime. You should totally bring it to a jeweller's if you'd like to find out more! They should be able to tell you broadly what the stone may be, very easily.

The second ring is definitely more of a typical Art Deco design. I think it's a look that's well loved here on PS. The onyx with the inset is gorgeous. The yellow gold metal is a bit unusual though, perhaps?

Thanks very much for your comments. I will have to run by a jeweler and see if they can tell me anything about the stone. The SB maker's mark I think may possibly be Sulzberger Bros. who were in Rhode Island around this time and my in-laws' family was in the Baltimore area. The onyx ring looks to be oxidized a little, perhaps from the repairs? It's stamped 14K, but unfortunately nothing else. I will have to report back if I find out more about the aqua-colored stone.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

@mynattk, My first reaction when I saw this ring is it’s beautiful!!! I will probably be one of the few Pricescopers who will say does it even matter if the stone is real or not? It looks gorgeous on your hand and it’s a family ring. It has a history. If the stone was a little beat up, it’s more than likely because your MIL’s grandmother loved it. The setting is so pretty. I hope this ring brings you joy. That is really what loving jewelry is all about, finding pieces that we are thrilled about and spark happiness when we wear them.

Last edited:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Uff! So so beautiful! Enjoy and take good care!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mynattk, My first reaction when I saw this ring is it’s beautiful!!! I will probably be one of the few Pricescopers who will say does it even matter if the stone is real or not? It looks gorgeous on your hand and it’s a family ring. It has a history. If the stone was a little beat up, it’s more than likely because your MIL’s grandmother loved it. The setting is so pretty. I hope this ring brings you joy. That is really what loving jewelry is all about, finding pieces that we are thrilled about and spark happiness when we wear them.

Thank you for the like @lovedogs. I was worried I might lose my Pricescope card for saying this LOL. I look at pieces I purchased when I was young and still remember the excitement I felt when I found them and wore them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the like @lovedogs. I was worried I might lose my Pricescope card for saying this LOL. I look at pieces I purchased when I was young and still remember the excitement I felt when I found them and wore them.

:lol-2: looking at my own collection i dont think im worthy of a PS card if that was so :boohoo:
But in this world you gotta take joy and happiness when you find it and @mynattk 's two rings have joy and happiness written all over them !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results