shape
carat
color
clarity

another quick invite question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Quick question, as I''m prepping to start addressing invites (both inner and outer envelopes.) If there is a single guest, who you KNOW wouldn''t invite a guest - do you put "and guest" on the inner envelope?

My aunt has been divorced for decades, and I think that if she saw "and guest" she would even be slightly put-off. She hasn''t dated in ages.

Is this a case by case scenario or is there a hard-fast rule?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t mind her bringing a date, then put "and guest"... if you don''t want her to bring someone, then don''t put "and guest". If you are still confused then ask your mom or dad, whichever is the brother or sister of said aunt.

It isn''t what you *think* someone will do, it''s what you are allowing that certain guest. Be mindful, that some people will bring a friend or a child as their "and guest" if you put it. It doesn''t always have to be a romantic relationship.

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
We had the same situation with a fried of DH''s mom. She had been divorced for decades and also hadn''t been dating for many years. We were going to put "and guest", but MIL said she would be mortified. We left it off.

I generally agree that you should let the person decide on the "and guest" part if you are allowing other people to bring a guest, but in this circumstance, MIL thought it would be viewed as more humiliating than hospitable.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
We had four guests (my grandmothers, my FI''s mom, and one of his aunts) that we invited solo for this reason. They are all single with no interest in dating. I think it''s definitely a case by case situation.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s always nice to allow someone a guest even if that guest is not a romantic date

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2010 1:24:48 PM
Author: purselover
I think it''s always nice to allow someone a guest even if that guest is not a romantic date

Ditto. My mom has been widowed for decades and does not date. While she never brings a date to events, she sometimes brings me or one of her friends. She enjoys having someone to travel with, especially if it is another state. To me, especially with older guests, I see it as far better than some cousin that might scramble to find a date they will never see again. Especially since you have already budgeted for the guest, you might as well include it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results