shape
carat
color
clarity

Another newbie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lb12756

Rough_Rock
Ok I''ve been looking for a while now and I''m very indecisive. It seems everytime I get close to a decision I find more info/opinions somewhere on the net about what to look for and consider when choosing a ring. Hopefully you guys can help put my head on straight and hold my hand through this :)

basic specs I''m looking for are as follow:

approx 1.65 ct.... slighty more or less is fine
F & G for color.. (however in recent threads I''ve read it seems more people sacrafice color and go with a I or J) is that because the color is harder to notice.
VS2-SI2 (would love to "cherry pick" a nice SI2.. although I''m afraid I will pick wrong

budget $8-11K

Here are 2 I''ve been looking at

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=4379129&ref=PS622

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=5548343&ref=PS6

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Welcome. If you haven't already, would suggest you gain orientation with the tutorial above under knowledge. For shopping suggestions you may find helpful, check out the link below my signature. The two options you've identified may be "ideal," but they remain to be seen, literally and figuratively. This is another option you may want to consider, (discountable to $11,255), going forward.

Good luck, and happy shopping

P.S. edited to add...that first one you found is very likely to be promising, with it's AGS pedigree. Just one more to consider, offered both at WF and at DCD, is this one, too. Based on both of these options, trying to include plan B (considering options not in house) seems favorable to me. Note re your second option, though, while EGL certed diamonds sometimes work out swell, their qualities frequently don't match how they'd be graded by GIA by a grade or two.

lb12756

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes I''ve read the tutorial and such.. I consider myself to know a fair amount about what I''m doing I guess I just need some reassurance.

real odd that you suggested that that H&A from WF.. I had actually already viewed it and was one of the others I had in mind.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5949906

I guess from what I understand and correct me if I''m wrong... the reason or potential reasons why the two diamonds above from DCD are lower priced is because they havent been viewed under and ideal scope and such

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 12:41:27 PM
Author: lb12756

I guess from what I understand and correct me if I''m wrong... the reason or potential reasons why the two diamonds above from DCD are lower priced is because they havent been viewed under and ideal scope and such
See, too, my other comments added on as "edited to add" above. Those other two could really be a steal. Just literally, they haven''t been seen yet. Once viewed, they may be confirmed as winners. So there''s just not as much known about those not in house at a listed vendor. I would recommend my shopping tips to see how at least I think about this.

lb12756

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 12:16:37 PM
Author: Regular Guy

P.S. edited to add...that first one you found is very likely to be promising, with it''s AGS pedigree. Just one more to consider, offered both at WF and at DCD, is this one, too. Based on both of these options, trying to include plan B (considering options not in house) seems favorable to me. Note re your second option, though, while EGL certed diamonds sometimes work out swell, their qualities frequently don''t match how they''d be graded by GIA by a grade or two.

Was there another diamond you were suggesting I look at ... the one you listed in your quote link is the same as my first one from DCD

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 1:11:52 PM

P.S. edited to add...that first one you found is very likely to be promising, with it''s AGS pedigree. Just one more to consider, offered both at WF and at DCD, is this one, too. Based on both of these options, trying to include plan B (considering options not in house) seems favorable to me. Note re your second option, though, while EGL certed diamonds sometimes work out swell, their qualities frequently don''t match how they''d be graded by GIA by a grade or two.

Was there another diamond you were suggesting I look at ... the one you listed in your quote link is the same as my first one from DCD
Oops, yes try this one; sorry.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
For the first two you selected, you need to get more info from Jim at DCD. I would ask him for copies ofthe certs, which he should be able to get easily from the mfg. I would also ask for an idealscope picture and details on the inclusions. As you know you will have to cherry pick SI2s to find something eye-clean, so once you validate that the cut is right, spend your time there. Of the two, the first has the most promise, being AGS, and having tight specs on what was listed. The cert will give you the rest of the cut info you need. Jim should be able to bring these in house for you once you have gotten serious enough about them to make it worth the effort and expense for him.

The last one RG posted could also be very nice, depending on the rest of the cut details and the inclusions details. You will need all of that info to make a good decision.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
P.S. With these AGS stones:

a) sometimes copies of the cert is shown, if you dig around, through one or another of the vendors who make it available, when reviewing the Quick Search. And if that''s the case, you can do a quick look-up yourself of the crown & pavilion numbers, which increases your chances going this route a lot, doing it yourself. I haven''t done this, but you might check it out.
b) seems like even if the cert doesn''t present at the web site, your vendor of choice can make a phone call to somebody and just ask for that info, without asking anybody to have to send it to them.

Let us know how it develops!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are my picks....

I know you said F/G but I love a well-cut H..my old one was stunning and I didn't see a hint of color in it. Having had a G before that, and then an H and now a J...the H is a sweet spot for me if you can save some $$. Otherwise G is fine IMO.

I really LOVE that G SI2 for the value from WF and it is right in your range, and I also like the strong fluor in the G VS but only if it's not milky. Both DCD stones are definitely worth looking into as is the GOG stones. However, for your budget...seems like the G SI2 is a good choice and bigger too! If it's eye clean.

I'd find it hard to narrow it down from here but I'd go for size for $$, then color, then clarity since they are all well cut!

mara ideas 0505 a.JPG

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 1:36:29 PM

Date: 5/31/2005 1:11:52 PM

Oops, yes try this one; sorry.
So, it''s not like I have better things to do. With this option at several vendors, I did see Abazias has the cert on line. However, I''m having trouble, not so much reading it (the magnifier helps), but interpreting it; HCA says the girdle''s too thin, if I''m inputting it right...but the girdle on the cert looks just fine. Can anyone else interpret the problem...which will inevitably be operator error, in my case....

lb12756

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all your responses... I just spoke with Brian at WF about the 1.714 H&A

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5949906#

I have it on hold until tomorrow.
There are 2 inclusion near the edges which can be seen on the cert.. he says that one can definitly be hidden and the other one can al least be partially covered depending on setting... however he also said that you can cant see them w/o a mag.. and he said it is eye clean

I would prefere to lower the price a bit.. although its not really critical...

here are cheaper alternatives...

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5950102

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5950003

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-3651504

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6131507

opinions

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Of those other options, item last looks most attractive to my eye, to best benefit from a drop in cost. The advantage of the former option is WF's having given its expert eye to the SI2 for you, the continuity of selection with your original target on color, and the size increase you'd benefit from by the SI2 differential. You could try to eyeball differences between a G and and I, but these real world tests may be too much brute force. With any of these options, to my mind, you'll do very well.

Best,

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me the G SI2 is the best deal, esp if Brian says it's eye clean. I used to have a VS1 then got an SI1 that Brian noted should have been an VS2 grade. It was so clean I didn't see a thing...now my stone is a J SI2 and it looked somewhat messy on the cert but in reality I can only ever see the tiny black inclusion and only when I have my eye right up against it...I never see it in real life situations..plus it's kind of fun to have this extremely tiny black dot which looks like dirt sometimes. No one has ever seen it but me and Greg!

Anyhow, if this is a totally eye-clean SI2 then I would go for that hands down over dropping color to an I if you are unsure of your color happiness boundary...maybe see if you can get WF to drop the price a tiny bit more or something, it's worth a try.

But I LOVE that 1.17 G SI2, that price is right and it's so big, right up my alley!!!
9.gif
What setting is this going into? I'm drooling already.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 3:43:41 PM

I would prefere to lower the price a bit.. although its not really critical...
Not intending to confuse you further...but as a back-up to compare, I actually might like the first one you picked best, available -- ostensibly -- still at DCD, and also, at WF, Abazias (where the cert can be seen), and 2 other vendors. Having looked for the cert, I see it scores 1.2 TIC xxvgx on the HCA.

Best,

lb12756

Rough_Rock
Ok I''m gonna have them send me that stone.. I feel real good about that
Brian @ WF opinion about the stone being truly eye clean.. People seem to
really put him on a pedastal on the forums. So through all of the help I''m gotten here I trust his opinion, plus I can always send it back if I feel its not up to par

Anyway.. As far as settings go...I''m planning on having it set in white gold with Baguettes on the side. Similar to the following. I want it to be fairly thin.

setting 1

setting 2

setting 3

However I would prefer to go on a hands on search for the setting as I find it sort of difficult make a setting decision online.

Assuming that I''m pleased with the diamond when I get it.. Should I be concerned with something happening
to it while being set (damagage/chip stone)... What if anything can
I/should I do to ensure I''m protected in that sense.. In other words if I were to give it to hefez in boston (which is going to be my first stop as I have been there with a friend and he had a great experience doing the same) or whoever to setit in the perfect ring that I''m gonna find and by some odd occurance that someone cracks it (I know its really unlikely)
but anyway.. How can I be sure that I''m not held responsible...

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Though I''ll share some musings with you, hopefully someone else here can actually help you on this.

Good luck with everything!

lb12756

Rough_Rock
I emailed them (WF) to explain my concern.. maybe they''ll come up with something to sooth me over...

any suggestions anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results