shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Newbie come to bore you all... but hi anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Everybody…

35.gif

Just thought I’d put together a quick thread to say thanks to all on here… I’ve been lurking for the past few days… and have found both this site and the forum very informative.

To give you some idea, after talking about tying the knot for some time, things started seeming to get more serious recently… what with window shopping every time the Lass and I went out shopping, I thought I’d better start my research. After all if such a ring is to last longer than our vows, then I wanted to put as much, if not more than I do into every other major purchase I make: - be it a car, a house, or just a piece of Hi-Fi equipment.

So after some initial stumbling googling, I came across this wonderful site.

Thankfully in talks about size (heck, isn’t that how most clueless folk blunder into their diamond purchases?) she didn’t want anything ‘big’ she felt ½ Carat was pushing it size wise… and something ¼ - ½ would be best for her. Thankfully this seemed to keep it within my price range… but looking round the local jewellers, just seemed to bring up lacklustre rocks... With no sparkle or life. And after reading and researching what I have found here, I have come to the conclusion, that while she wants just a small rock, I will endeavour to get her the best I can… which would seem to be a Hearts and Arrows Diamond.

Now, none on the local B&M shops seem to have heard about H&A diamonds… but I guess that’s more down to the supply and demand for such diamonds, infact, I’ve only come across one store which had E-rings accompanied by certificates (from BGS) and another would try to find what their suppliers had in stock.

Further looking around here I found White Flash and GoodoldGold which seem to have good reps around these parts and a lot of good information. Plus it is reassuring to see they take the time and trouble to post here too.

Right now I am swaying between 2 stones listed at white flash (Goodoldgold didn’t seem to list anything smaller than a 0.4carat diamond, and all listed where waaaaaaaaaaaaaay outta my price range!) anyways…

Stone 1:
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.308
Color: F
Clarity: VVS1
Depth: 59.9
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.2
Pavilion Angle: 405
Pavilion %: 42.6
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 4.40-4.43X2.64

And scores 0.4 on the HCA – or 1.1 on the Sarin report measurements and Excellent in everything
Stone 2:
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.302
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 60.2
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 33.9
Crown %: 14.6
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin-Medium Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 4.35-4.39X2.63

And scores 0.9 on the HCA - or 1.1 on the Sarin report measurements and Excellent in everything except for spread where it says Very Good.

Now at the end of the day… is the .308 worth the extra $160? (bearing in mind that mounts up to $225 difference when tax is added)

Any advise would be gratefully accepted. I am tempted by the 308, its ideal scope image seems to be more ‘ideal’ to me… better spread of reds and blacks… just that little margin more than the 302 stone.

but then I''m answering my own question here... still...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome!!!! I seriously doubt you''re going to see any real difference between the two, so I''d go for the cheaper one.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
35.gif

you won''t notice a difference between those two....save your $$$.

good luck!!!
emteeth.gif

if you''ve been reading, you know you have to let us know what happens, and post pics!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get to use that "By HCA Cut Quality" button on top of this page ?

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks folks,

Will just hang on till after Christmas - have got to sort the ring to mount it on... I know the style... and my local jeweller can make it and the wedding band... just got to pick the Dia. and out of courtesy will wait to see what he can source, but he hadn’t come across H&A diamonds before, so I’m not holding out for one, but he has the specs of what I’m after.

Fingers crossed either of these will still be available next month. Plus I godda source the money lol!

Once again thanks.

1.gif

And in response to the above post… I have generally searched for ones between 0.25 and 0.50 points (above that and they are pushed out of my budget) and G-D in colour, and VS2 to IF (to give biggest spread of diamonds that I’m prepared to pay for)
Mainly after the most brilliance, fire and spread for my buck, if that makes sense… size doesn’t matter’ I’ve been told
28.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You might also want to consider going down to H and SI1. Given the size and the quality I doubt you''d see a difference there either.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Will keep that in mind... Back to the search engines methinks...

With the plan being for a Platinum ring... going down to G/H wont be a problem...

With the quality... I guess its been more of the phycological thing more than a visual thing... while theres every chance I wont beable to spot any inclusions, even with a loupe, I would know they where there... and stupidly wanted to get her the most flawless diamond I could... hence been mostly looking at VVS2+

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
think of these tiny little inclusions as "birthmarks" no one else can see them, but as you said, you will know they are there. it will be reassuring to have your diamonds'' little spots there. no two diamonds are alike, and yours will be unique.

good luck!!
emotion-5.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, if you''re constrained by size and if getting a high clarity is well within your price range, then I can see not choosing to go down to an SI. If for any reason, though, you find you want to maximize your money, then you have a few months to get used to the idea.

Good luck to you. Your wife is a very lucky woman!

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Wife?

WWWooooooooooaaaaahhhh.. hold your horses... Thats putting the cart before the horse there.. lemme ask her first
28.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Heh, sorry. I was thinking about another thread when I typed that!!!

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and one idea we had was to have a second (replica) ring made in silver, with a CZ set into it. So as to keep the real stone and ring safe, as she works in a Lab, and is around alot of abrasive materials, and would be wearing the ring mostly on a chain around her neck.

Seems theres a few suppliers of calibration quality CZ available (Ideal-scope for one) only thing is... the CZs seem to be mostly 1ct size...lol

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping it under 1k, here''s one find that came up by chance: 5mm, Harts and Arrows, G/VS2

If you really want t see those inclusions, than well, there is something to be seen in VVS too! It''s all a matter of magnification
2.gif
VS is super safe, especially in a smaller stone, IMO.

I didn''t know what this thread gew into when the G/VS turned up, but it just so happens that Wink deals with CZ as well (see freecz.com). Not that I''d go that way, but since you meantion... If lab fare is a concern, than diamonds would not be hurt by chemicals that can be handled anyway. CZ ? No idea. Rings (the metal) would be stained by usual lab fare, but then, one wouldn''t want their hands in corrosive stuff to being with
32.gif

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for taking the trouble to do a search...

1.gif

Certainly another one to throw into the melting pot.

34.gif

The thing about the CZ ring was a half joke thing we talked about… its not so much chemicals and corrosive substantives, but more abrasive – there’s a lot of concrete dust (among others) in the place due to some of the testing they do. So it was more a – she’ll be wearing her ring on a chain round her neck, like most of the other guys wear their wedding bands. And if there was a second replica made with a CZ it wouldn’t matter so much if that gets scratched and mucky – should see the state of her lab coat at the end of the week!
23.gif

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Just as an update...

In the end having looked around at many places... (ended up with a list of about 10 different diamonds...)

I guess it was just love at first sight... and i plumped for Stone 1 - combination of IS image, Sarin info, the position of the inclusion, many other things...

.308, F, VVS1, AGS0 cut, AGA 1B cut... excellent price...

Should be with me in a few days i hope
17.gif

Getting scary... might ACTUALLY have to propse!!
23.gif

Pictures ASAP methinks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results