shape
carat
color
clarity

Another LOGR Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted temporary housing for my Sphene over the Christmas period and won this from an Ebay auction with LOGR.

I did upgrade the diamonds and had it resized to a 5.5. It''s for an 8mm cushion cut stone. My Sphene is 8.8mm so a little big but I think it''ll squeeze in!

The diamonds are ok but I doubt very much whether they''re VS quality although they are nice and white. The goldweight however is awful. It''s just over 2g and feels very light.

This is ok for a temporary setting but not sure I''d recommend it as a permanent setting.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Closer inspection

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blurry side profile

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the hand. My finger size is 5.5 to give you an idea of dimension.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying to balance the Sphene on top of the prongs (and not doing it very well)!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fiery little devils!!! Apologies for the blurriness but thought you might like to see the yummylicious fire

The setting and stone are with my benchman so hopefully I''ll get this back in time for Christmas.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
It''ll look great.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
The combination looks very nice together. Enjoy it!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely combination! Are you sure you want to wear you sphene as a ring? It is a soft stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great combo LD! I love that sphene, it reminds me of a Christmas tree decked out with all the holiday lights. It''s so firey!!
30.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yingh - yes absolutely! I have a number of Sphene rings and I''m aware it''s a soft stone but, for me, I believe that gemstones are for wearing and as I''m reasonably careful I''m willing to take the risk.

TL - brilliant description!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
On a side note, it''s a little difficult to tell from your photos, but are those single cuts? If you did upgrade, he typically upgrades to VS full cuts I believe. Are you sure you got the upgraded diamonds you paid for?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds, I really appreciate your sharing that setting - it''s one I hadn''t seen on here before. I agree with you that even their upgraded diamonds probably aren''t strict VS quality (I''ve louped mine and asked my jeweler''s opinion), but yours are definitely white, bright, and sparkly. And even though your sphene will probably have to sit pretty high, I love how the stone will overlap some of the halo and make it look more delicate - the face-up view will be gorgeous!
30.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowsa!
30.gif
that is GORGEOUS!!!
18.gif
LD, I think your sphene will do what mine did and get a bit greener after being set. The diamonds look good honestly, but I can understand why you''d want to go with a different setting for that stone.

I''m amazed by how often I wear my sphene! I think as long as one is careful, wearing a sphene in a ring is ok to do (plus its a sin and a shame to let all that prettiness just sit in a box!)

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 12:03:08 PM
Author: Arcadian
Wowsa!
30.gif
that is GORGEOUS!!!
18.gif
LD, I think your sphene will do what mine did and get a bit greener after being set. The diamonds look good honestly, but I can understand why you''d want to go with a different setting for that stone.

I''m amazed by how often I wear my sphene! I think as long as one is careful, wearing a sphene in a ring is ok to do (plus its a sin and a shame to let all that prettiness just sit in a box!)

-A
Amen to that!!!!
36.gif
Actually this Sphene is a lime green in sunlight (I''ve never seen a Sphene that colour before) but slightly darkens inside to a more sort of olive green. Strangely in sunlight this is just like a lime sweet in colour but doesn''t show it''s fire as much (although it''s still firey - IYKWIM!) but inside under electric light it''s like a disco ball!

TL - I didn''t loupe them because I had 2 hours to get them to my benchman and had picked up the setting on the way to work but will ask him to look for me. It didn''t even occur to me to look to be honest! Edit: I''ve just looked at his note and he says VS single cut.

Cellantani - the diamonds actually look a little better than the photo suggests. I was surprised when I looked at the photos that there appeared to be a few "off" diamonds because I really hadn''t seen that with my eyes. So I''m not overly worried. It''s only when I can see off diamonds that I know it''ll drive me bananas! You''re right about the Sphene sitting high. I do like high rings so that''s ok with me. I think with a gemstone that actually was 8mm it would sit lower but I''m not complaining!!!
2.gif

Marcey, Austenut and Oddoneout - Thank you for your comments.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 12:14:46 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Wowsa!
30.gif
that is GORGEOUS!!!
18.gif

-A
Amen to that!!!!
36.gif
Actually this Sphene is a lime green in sunlight (I''ve never seen a Sphene that colour before) but slightly darkens inside to a more sort of olive green. Strangely in sunlight this is just like a lime sweet in colour but doesn''t show it''s fire as much (although it''s still firey - IYKWIM!) but inside under electric light it''s like a disco ball!

TL - I didn''t loupe them because I had 2 hours to get them to my benchman and had picked up the setting on the way to work but will ask him to look for me. It didn''t even occur to me to look to be honest! Edit: I''ve just looked at his note and he says VS single cut.

Cellantani - the diamonds actually look a little better than the photo suggests. I was surprised when I looked at the photos that there appeared to be a few ''off'' diamonds because I really hadn''t seen that with my eyes. So I''m not overly worried. It''s only when I can see off diamonds that I know it''ll drive me bananas! You''re right about the Sphene sitting high. I do like high rings so that''s ok with me. I think with a gemstone that actually was 8mm it would sit lower but I''m not complaining!!!
2.gif

That does it, I''m getting my sphene set!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 12:29:55 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Wowsa!
30.gif
that is GORGEOUS!!!
18.gif

-A
Amen to that!!!!
36.gif

Cellantani - the diamonds actually look a little better than the photo suggests. I was surprised when I looked at the photos that there appeared to be a few ''off'' diamonds because I really hadn''t seen that with my eyes. So I''m not overly worried. It''s only when I can see off diamonds that I know it''ll drive me bananas! You''re right about the Sphene sitting high. I do like high rings so that''s ok with me. I think with a gemstone that actually was 8mm it would sit lower but I''m not complaining!!!
2.gif

Tee hee! Arcadian, I think we''ve enabled TL!
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the BB Malaya in my rose gold setting, and to tell you the truth, I''m not crazy about it in there, it blends in and doesn''t let the stone stand out. The sphene looks like it will fit in that setting NP, so I''m thinking of putting it in there. LD, I know what you''re thinking (
14.gif
rose gold
14.gif
) - LOL!! I do think the rose gold helps enhance green body color though.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 12:36:15 PM
I have the BB Malaya in my rose gold setting, and to tell you the truth, I''m not crazy about it in there, it blends in and doesn''t let the stone stand out. The sphene looks like it will fit in that setting NP, so I''m thinking of putting it in there. LD, I know what you''re thinking (
14.gif
rose gold
14.gif
Oh no, that''s so spooky! You can obviously read minds TL
9.gif

Is there a vomit smilie somewhere????? Only kidding! But yes, you know how I feel - rose gold and green? Eugh!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 12:39:59 PM

Date: 12/13/2009 12:36:15 PM
14.gif
rose gold
14.gif
Oh no, that''s so spooky! You can obviously read minds TL
9.gif

Is there a vomit smilie somewhere????? Only kidding! But yes, you know how I feel - rose gold and green? Eugh!
LOL!! Seriously, I love your new ring!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 12:32:54 PM

Date: 12/13/2009 12:29:55 PM

Wowsa!
30.gif
that is GORGEOUS!!!
18.gif

-A
Amen to that!!!!
36.gif

2.gif

Tee hee! Arcadian, I think we''ve enabled TL!
36.gif
YEEHAW!! AWESOME!!!! Welcome to the club TL
36.gif
Mine tends to show just its body color in fluoro lighting and overcast days. I actually like it because the bodycolor is this awesome neon yellowish green. Sunlight and incandescent lights makes the party come out!

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
Great setting and stone. So you mind verifying the melee when you get back? When I ordered my previous setting, he promised me VS single cuts but shipped VS full cuts. When I emailed to ask why I didn''t receive single cuts, his excuse was that they ran out of VS single cuts. I really prefer single cuts for pave and micropave work. I just wish he''d told me before making such a replacement without my knowledge.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks VERY cool. I love the multicolor look the sphene has. I think it will look good in that setting the halo seems delicate compared to the stone. TFS!!
9.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Great setting for that sphene- which is beautiful by the way. Do you have a thread just on that beauty?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 6:53:44 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
Great setting for that sphene- which is beautiful by the way. Do you have a thread just on that beauty?
Thank you. Here you go ..........

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-last-loose-gemstone-delivery-of-2009.130260/

When I first wrote that thread, I hadn''t seen the Sphene in daylight but since then I have and the daylight colour is amazing and just like the vendor''s photo. Unfortunately Sphene''s are incredibly camera shy although Arcadian I think has just nailed it! When I get mine back from setting I''m going to try her blue background trick to see if I can take some better more true to life photos.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Sphene''s are such flashy stones and I love it in the halo. Wear it in good health.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That ring will look lovely, but I agree this should only be a temp setting. At two grams wearing it a lot could, in the long run, result in paying more for repairs than for the setting itself.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2009 7:27:49 PM

Date: 12/13/2009 6:53:44 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
Thank you. Here you go ..........

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-last-loose-gemstone-delivery-of-2009.130260/

When I first wrote that thread, I hadn''t seen the Sphene in daylight but since then I have and the daylight colour is amazing and just like the vendor''s photo. Unfortunately Sphene''s are incredibly camera shy although Arcadian I think has just nailed it! When I get mine back from setting I''m going to try her blue background trick to see if I can take some better more true to life photos.

I missed the above thread but am so glad to have seen it! I never realized how beautiful sphenes are with there rainbow like flashes!!! It looks lovely in that setting!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results