shape
carat
color
clarity

Another line of amethyst questions for Amethyst Guy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the pics amguy! Several of those cut JXRs are huge - wish I knew how much they were. So, you''re still not going to have your JXR piece cut?

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
Sorry I missed you Amguy....I went first thing Friday morning and think I was the 2nd paying customer of the day as I had to drive back to Illinois. After hearing the stories of what I saw at the show, my future Mrs. has informed me that she will be attending next year''s show with me, so maybe I can meet up with you then.

The picture you had of the case of cut stones, I am 99% sure that the one in the very center of the top row is the one that I picked up at the DE booth. 3.45 ct 8mm square cut stunner cut by Jerry Call. DE also had a finished Four Peaks piece which I did a side by side with. Granted, the Four Peaks piece was extremely dark, but I saw what I needed to see as far as color variations. At least for me, the blue flash of JXR is tough to beat. I also picked up a small piece of really dark African rough just for comparison which I may or may not have cut in the future as well as a piece of JXR rough for $25 just to say I have some.

I saw that $1400 piece of rough in person and thought I was gonna drool. It truly was THAT nice and the color was unreal. Whoever coughs up the cash for it and has it cut is gonna have a humongous, flawless, unbelievable color JXR amethyst. In my opinion, that rough looks much better in person and I am jealous of whomever picks it up. If it wouldn''t have made my credit card melt, it would be in my house right now.

I was surprised that I didn''t see more vendors who had cut JXR material there. Several folks that I went to had some rough and/or specimen crystals, but I only found one other vendor than DE who had finished material for sale. I picked up a small pair of Trillion cuts for some earrings as well as a 3 ct. emerald cut from them. This second vendor had the largest cut JXR material available. They had 2 pieces that I would put over 20 cts. each. I didn''t even bother asking to look at or pricing info as I knew they were way out my budget.

In all, seeing is believing and the JXR stuff is MILES ahead of the jewelry store amethysts I have seen. I just hope the future Mrs. doesn''t want me replacing her jewelry store collection with JXR stuff. I would have to get a second job just to pay for a comparable sized pendant!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Haywood, I''m jealous that you got to see all this stuff in person! I truly hope you post pics of the cut amethysts you picked up - please!!! I have yet to see a cut JXR gem up close.

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
Cellentani, probably the best way for you to get an idea is to see one in person. The photos that Amguy put up of the cut gems in the cases made them look very blue. The case had flood lights in them similar to diamond lighting that really brought the blue out. They don''t appear to me as overly blue unless they are under flood lights or direct sunlight.

The other vendor that had cut stones was www.itecoinc.com Thier website doesn''t have any listed, but they sure did have some in their booth. The trillions I got from them were slightly over 1 cttw and were $20 for the pair. Should give you an excellent idea of what to expect for cheap. They had pair of round earrings already set in 14k yellow gold that were probably the most gorgeous, well cut amethysts I have ever seen for $120. As far as the pricing for the larger cut stones, it was in the neighborhood of $30-$40 ct. for what I bought. It may have been higher on some of the larger stuff, but I didn''t price anything bigger than 3 ct.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As promised, here is the pic of the Jackson Crossroads rough I got. I was mistaken in the carat weight, it is 32.56 TCW

jackcrossame.jpg

babyness

Rough_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

That is so gorgeous!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Very nice..should cut a 5ct stone or more..the sat. looks real good too..

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2009 3:07:40 AM
Author: Haywood74
Cellentani, probably the best way for you to get an idea is to see one in person. The photos that Amguy put up of the cut gems in the cases made them look very blue. The case had flood lights in them similar to diamond lighting that really brought the blue out. They don''t appear to me as overly blue unless they are under flood lights or direct sunlight.

The other vendor that had cut stones was www.itecoinc.com Thier website doesn''t have any listed, but they sure did have some in their booth. The trillions I got from them were slightly over 1 cttw and were $20 for the pair. Should give you an excellent idea of what to expect for cheap. They had pair of round earrings already set in 14k yellow gold that were probably the most gorgeous, well cut amethysts I have ever seen for $120. As far as the pricing for the larger cut stones, it was in the neighborhood of $30-$40 ct. for what I bought. It may have been higher on some of the larger stuff, but I didn''t price anything bigger than 3 ct.
I agree Haywood, but I don''t know of any cut JXR in my area, and regardless, I''d LOVE to see that 8mm square you got! Is it a step cut?

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
Hey Amguy, did that $1400 piece of rough sell at the show this weekend? Ever since I saw it I have been thinking about it. How big of a finished stone do you think that piece would produce?

Cellentani, I tried taking photos of the stones and the rough I picked up. The camera I have won''t let me get very close without losing focus, so photos are pretty much out on my end unless I can find another camera to use tomorrow. The 8mm is a cut I have never seen before. It''s a cut corner square with a really high faceted crown. What is cool about it, and which I didn''t notice at all until just a few minutes ago, was that when viewed from the top down, it looks like it has 4 hearts for the center of the stone. Pretty neat cut I think.

Autumngems, very nice looking rough! I''d love to see what you end up with for a finished stone! What shape of cut are you thinking of getting?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Just got back from tearing the case and helping pack up[ the stones and take them all back to DE''s(rodney''s) house...did you see that specimen in the bottom right corner in front of the big beryl crystal..he gave me that one for mhelping him..it''s a decent spec. but what is good is the crystal is facetgrade...i am to tired to take photos tonight but i will post tomorrow and see what you guys think..break it off or leave it as is..he still had that $1400 piece of rough..if it wasn''t night time when we got back i would have snapped another photo..you can find something like that at the mine if you dig..I have seen it happen 3 times..once with a friend of mine named nancy seaver..if any of you ever saw travel channels cash and treasures show there she was the lady who had the huge stone on her neck..she dug it out about 2 months before the show came and filmed...another time was when another buddy of mine came down from N.C. and brought 2 of his friends..they dug all day and didn''t find anythin but a few chips..well it rained that night while they were camping out there and the next day beofre I showed up one of his buddies was walking over one of the piles he had dug the day before and the rain had washed off the top of the dirt and here was this nice purple chunk sitting on top that he had missed the day before..the owner was there and said it valued around $1500..it was like a half broken crystal...it was probably worth around $1000..I will post pics tomorrow of the stone he gave me and of the facet four peaks material i got..

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
here..specimen sits nice..has a few color zoning issues but is real clean..can''t beat free

jxr 1a.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
closer pic

jxr 2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a great looking specimen. You plan to cut it or leave it as is?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all, I absolutely love the color.

Haywood74 - not sure yet, asscher, pear, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results