shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Clueless Newbie that needs help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DaKine

Rough_Rock
So I have set a budget and I kinda have a idea of what type of diamond find.

Round, F-H, Ideal, VS1-VS2, 1-1.5

After reading up on these forums and some others for a couple of days, I still
have many questions.

What are the differences between an "Ideal" cut vs. "Brilliant" cut vs. "Well" cut?

I went to two different shops the other day and I am a bit confused on the pricing
on some of these diamonds.

Vendor A.

1. Round, 1.31, F, Brilliant, VVS2 $12,600
2. Round, 1.2 , E, Brillant, VVS2 $11,563

Vendor B.

1. Round, 1, F, Well, VS1 $11,100
2. Round, 1.5, E, Well, SI1 $17,100
3. Round, 1.5, H, Well, VS2 $19,100
4. Round, 1.28, G, Ideal, VVS2 $17,100

I was hoping that I would be able to find the pricing similar to what
is listed on WF.

Anyone know any reputable shops in the Bay Area?

focalmatic

Rough_Rock
My first question to you would be - would you be willing to go somewhere in the G-I color range and down to about an SI1?

I found that my H color/SI1 gave me the best compromise of quality that made me happy after all the diamonds that I looked at and my budet. To be honest though - I couldn''t really tell the difference between the F''s and the I''s from 12 inches away either.

Online is still my preferred method after looking at diamond shops around town.

DaKine

Rough_Rock
Moving down to H and SI1 should be no issue with me. I just need to check with da boss
20.gif

Just got back from a short trip from another local dealer. They wouldnt even let me view the loose stone
out of its protective case. Maybe next time I''ll come into the shop with a suit instead of my t-shirt and jeans
20.gif

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 1:53:53 AM
Author: DaKine
Moving down to H and SI1 should be no issue with me. I just need to check with da boss
20.gif

Just got back from a short trip from another local dealer. They wouldnt even let me view the loose stone

out of its protective case. Maybe next time I''ll come into the shop with a suit instead of my t-shirt and jeans
20.gif

Unfortunately, yes, some places don''t get that people can definitely have enough money and yet not be dressed like they just got off work. Too bad. I think your instinct to look in person was absolutely right though, I would recommend that you do so at a different place to establish your preferences even though they pulled that stuff on you at the store you went to.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2006 9:29:39 PM
Author:DaKine
So I have set a budget and I kinda have a idea of what type of diamond find.

Round, F-H, Ideal, VS1-VS2, 1-1.5

After reading up on these forums and some others for a couple of days, I still
have many questions.

What are the differences between an ''Ideal'' cut vs. ''Brilliant'' cut vs. ''Well'' cut?

I went to two different shops the other day and I am a bit confused on the pricing
on some of these diamonds.

Vendor A.

1. Round, 1.31, F, Brilliant, VVS2 $12,600
2. Round, 1.2 , E, Brillant, VVS2 $11,563

Vendor B.

1. Round, 1, F, Well, VS1 $11,100
2. Round, 1.5, E, Well, SI1 $17,100
3. Round, 1.5, H, Well, VS2 $19,100
4. Round, 1.28, G, Ideal, VVS2 $17,100

I was hoping that I would be able to find the pricing similar to what
is listed on WF.

Anyone know any reputable shops in the Bay Area?
DaKine
the vendors can call it what ever they want,ask them for a sarin scan and post the "specs"
do these stones come with a AGS or GIA lab report?

DaKine

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response.

All the items listed were GIA. So are the sarin scans/reports free?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2006 12:27:03 PM
Author: DaKine
Thanks for the response.

All the items listed were GIA. So are the sarin scans/reports free?
if they have the machine in the store.i don''t see why not.

nitsuj

Rough_Rock
Say, what is your budget for the total ring? You should take this into consideration as you can find some pretty pricey settings that might make up for a lesser quality diamond. Not that we are really talking about less, it''s really about how ''mind clean'' with your choices!

I''m going through the process, and, if you do actually have a budget, you may find yourself going into the second best setting if you go all out with the rock.

DaKine

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info guys....

Right now its just kinda frustrating trying to find a local jeweler here.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DaKine,

I''m in the bay area too...but am going with a guy in Chicago at Dimend Scaasi. I honestly don''t have the time or patience to shop store to store (we have three little kids and if you think they look down on you for jeans, try a stroller and three small children...), although I did find that the people at Simayof on Union St in San Francisco (and on web) were willing to negotiate prices.

Someone on another thread posted a link to a "previously owned" section on Pearlman''s website, and they had a lovely ring posted that a bride never accepted...a lovely setting and the two flanking rings sold for a reasonable price in your carat range, looks scrumptious!

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results