shape
carat
color
clarity

Another breast cancer question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Since there are so many people on here knowledgeable about breast cancer, I''m hoping somebody might be able to address this question... I''ve been unable to find an answer online and I''m curious:

I was talking with an old friend last night whose mom is currently in remission from advanced-stage breast cancer. When the time period passes where she is not required to take her meds anymore, and the cancer is considered completely gone from her body (I think it is 5 years?)... does that mean her odds of contracting it again are the same as any other woman her age? Or is there still an increased risk...

Not that I need anything additional to worry about, I''m just wondering if women who have survived breast cancer are forced to live the rest of their lives knowing that it could come back fairly easily... or if they are actually at less risk now because they''ve already had it once, so odds of getting it again are lower than the average person?

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a doctor so I don''t know if this answer is 100% correct, but I would imagine that the risk would not be the same as a ''normal'' woman. My mother had breast cancer and, because of this, my risk is now 1 in 4 instead of 1 in 9. So, I would imagine that this woman''s risk would be closer to 1 in 4 since she has a family history -- herself.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My unofficial stab at the question would be that these women would always be at a higher risk of contracting it again...only because I don't know of any 'test' that guarantees the original cancer cells are completely gone from your body. The 5 year 'watch' during which you take drugs that diminish the chance of recurrence do simply that - diminish it, but not eliminate it. They do, after 5 years, pronounce you 'cancer free' or something like that, but there's no test I know of that validates that claim. All it would take would be a single cancer cell to be lurking somewhere for a recurrence to potentially happen down the road.

Having said that, I hope I'm wrong.
1.gif

ETA: I have to call my mom's oncologist after her 4th round of chemo tomorrow, so I will ask him.

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure how it works for breast cancer, but my fiance had cancer twice (once at 15 and again at 19- the same kind both times) and his doctors told him that he has exactly the same chance of getting cancer again as everyone else- basically that his two bouts do not increase his chances of getting it again. It might be that he has the same chance as everyone else of getting a DIFFERENT type of cancer, but getting the same type might be more likely for him? It would seem to me that if you had ever had any kind of abnormal cell in your body you would be predisposed to more of them, but like Firegoddess, I hope I''m wrong.

Firegoddess, I hope you''re mom is doing ok. My thoughts are with her and you.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks SFS.
1.gif
Turns out the oncologist wasn''t there today and mom saw the nurse practitioner. As soon as I can get in touch with the oncologist (maybe not till next week, have to see when he''s back) I will ask!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a really good question, ephemery. I also don''t know the answer--my dealings with the disease have been more focused on the prevention of the disease and raising awareness, and you''d think I''d have heard this question before! I think FG and Sarfar made good points about the chances being higher for someone who''s had the cancer to get it again... My father''s been in remission from colorectal cancer for almost 2 years, but still has CT scans and PET scans every few months to make sure it hasn''t come back. No one really ever talks to us about 5 year rates, rates of the cancer coming back after that, etc., so I don''t know. I''ll have to ask about that too. Thanks for bringing this up!

FG--still thinking of you and your mom, hope things are going as well as can be expected. Hey, tell your mom that my mother''s beautiful hair has been falling out for a few years now (alopecia), and she is in the market for a wig also!
9.gif
She hasn''t even had cancer...maybe that will make your mom smile a little bit!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for all you responses! I wasn''t sure if anyone would have an exact answer (maybe there IS no exact answer?) but I really appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences with this. I would imagine cancer patients (and family members of patients...) ultimately prefer a "just live one day at a time" approach, rather than worrying too much about long-term things... but after failing to find any real info about it online, I wondered if longterm relapse is something that just isn''t normally discussed between doctors and patients in those circumstances. FG, I''d be really interested in how your mom''s oncologist would respond... thanks so much for being willing to broach the subject! Sending lots of good vibes to you and your mom.....
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results