shape
carat
color
clarity

Another birthday present thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
So like IG, my mom is turning 60 this year and my brothers and I are debating what to get her. This is the first year where we can afford to do something really nice for her. I was thinking either a nice piece of jewelry or a weekend trip somewhere. Our budget is $1000 and under. I was thinking a diamond pendant or earrings, as she doesn't have either, but I was also thinking about a mothers ring/pendant. Problem is, 2 out of the 3 birthstones for us kids are red. We have Garnet, Ruby, and Diamond. Luckily the diamond (me) is in the middle in terms of age, so if I did something lateral with the stones there would be a break between the reds. My mom likes traditional jewelry but also the occasional unique piece. She's moderately casual, so I don't want to get her something so nice that she feels she has no where to wear it.

So specs are:

Under 1k
yellow gold
any stone-or using 3 birthstones (diamond, garnet, and ruby)

Ideas??

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Hudson! When you mentioned ruby, garnet and diamond, I immediately thought of a journey pendant. I know that these things are pretty tendy right now, so I can understand if you aren''t too keen on them - Honestly, I don''t think rubies and garnets would go well together - I don''t really like the mixture of precious and semi-precious stones on one piece of jewlery - even if they are birthstones.

Maybe a journey pendant with alternating stones (ruby, diamond, garnet, diamond, ruby, diamond, etc) set in yellow gold - It''s symbolic of the journey through life with her three children - I don''t know - I''m just rambling here - It''s early and I haven''t had my coffee yet! Please let us know what you decide on!!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you wedded to a red garnet?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not wedded to anything, I just thought it might be nice to do something with our birthstones to represent her kids. Red Garnet is the birthstone for January so that''s why I included it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a lovely idea to use your birthstones, which is why I asked if you wanted red garnet specifically. Otherwise, garnet comes in other colours that could match rubies.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a mothers ring (2 actually, lol) and my kids birthstones are blue topaz, pink tourmaline and emerald. As for the red stones...you could put the garnet and ruby on the end with the diamond in the middle...otherwise, it could be more of a swirled design instead of straight across.
This is the style of one of the two that I have...my daughter is the emerald, she is also the youngest. I put her in the middle because I purchased the ring under their "mistake" section and the 2 outer stones were stones that I needed for my son''s, the original center was an amethyst.

OMR-designersm.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
*sigh* I have no idea what to do. Nothing is really calling out to me as "her", other than a solitaire pendant or studs
7.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could get a different colored garnet. We got our mom''s birthstone necklaces from RedEnvelope (for our wedding) and they haven''t taken them off since. They were a big hit.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a rhodolite garnet, which might look prettier with a ruby? and do a journey pendant with diamond, the pinker stone and then the redder stone? sort of in color order? what a nice idea!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2007 2:02:01 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
*sigh* I have no idea what to do. Nothing is really calling out to me as ''her'', other than a solitaire pendant or studs
7.gif
Then get her the studs! They are classic, go with anything, and are timeless. I think she''d love them, who wouldn''t?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll tell you quite honestly, I don''t like those three birthstones together. As a mother of three children, I sincerely love my kids, but I''d prefer a classic diamond gift over a "mother''s ring/pendant/etc.". You could do bezel set studs to increase the appearance of the size. I also think the DBY necklace at WF would be a lovely gift in that price range.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
If you decide to use the colors I think DiamondFan has a great suggestion. To align them in color order...not birth order. That way the diamond can be the smallest...as it may be the more expensive of all three.

I really think Bellarri has a handle on colored stone pieces. Theirs are so pleasing as they embrace the color like notes in a symphony. Look at their line and see if anything looks like your Mum. I see some Bellarri inspired pendant with say elongated baguettes....in a stacked shape. The bottom is the darker of the two reds...the next the lighter one...and the the top one is the diamond. Or princess cuts... Or three gold circles intertwined and each has a stone set on it. What about rolling ring/bracelet with one stone counter sunk in each band representing the birth stones...

Etolie band with 6 stones.

Three eternity bands (love for a mom can be forever too!!)...with 6 (colored) stones each. 6 indicates her years.

Also the DBY idea is really great! I would do 6 stones.

What about three separate bezel shape stone pendant charms...each with the specific stone...but each having a different bezel shape. A triangle, a square, and a circle.

A watch...and have three stones or diamonds embedded in the band/ or face, so when she looks at the time...she is reminded of her kiddos.

Hey...what is her birthstone...can it be incorporated?

DKS

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
We have used this site Heavenly Treasures in the past for ideas...not sure if anyone has yet to buy from them. Here are a few of the color ideas...obviously yours would be different colors. But with a $1000 and below budget I think you have some options.

Oh I love this!!! Picture the dark blue in this image...as the deep garnet...fading into the ruby...into the diamond. Maybe a pendant...or use this technique on a ring. I think the color combo can be really pretty!

Not the same combo...
but you can get an idea of putting two reds together with diamonds. Probably too much bling for her...but it is still a spring board for an idea.

I like this bracelet idea... again see how the rainbow effect could be done using your garnet into ruby into diamonds. Maybe the garnet starts out almost black red and then ends up a pick sapphire before it moves on to the diamond.

See how the rainbow effect on these earrings incorporates two shades of reds...your piece could be just the three stones.

Inside outside hoopies!!!

What if these were red shades?

Ok ok...enough Door Knob...don't you have some house work you should be doing??? You are driving us crazy with all the linkys.

DKS

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ok Ok...look, all I have is a broom and a mop waiting for me...a stack of laundry...and well...I seem to be having some fun...so bare with me!!

Both of these are from Pearlmans... http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/

Ring ~ look at this...it has three intertwined rows of diamonds to represent her kiddos. Would that not be sooo perfect if the diamonds numbered to 60!!! Oh my! Now you have your diamond part settled....now you need the bros to come through with eternitys in their colors!

Another ring idea.... you could find something like this and remove two diamonds and replace them with a garnet and a ruby...it would mean something special to her...and make your diamond a yellow one...or a pink one.

Gotta answer the call of the floors...ugghhh!

DKS

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This website has a TON of ideas for mom gifts: www.lifetimemothers.com. I have a cross from them that has all of our birthstones (DH, me & kids) and it is very good quality.

I love these:

momstudslrg.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have also ordred these from them...so cute!

birthstonewheelslrg2.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I am just posting this because I love it, so cool!

motherssolitaireringlrg.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to the DBY idea....Tiffany makes a version of the necklace with three diamonds. If you want some symbolism for the three children, I'd suggest getting WF to make you one with three stones in yg. That would be something she'd really cherish. To be totally honest, a lot of the mother's jewelry is approaching tacky, in my opinion. This is not mother's day anyway, it is her birthday. Diamonds are just a better idea...they go with everything, too!

(You could probably do something like three 15 point stones, just a guess.)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 8:15:24 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Diamonds are just a better idea...they go with everything, too!
I agree.

And I still vote studs. EVERY woman should have a pair.
11.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Awhhh...Diamond seeker is right!
36.gif
(I don''t care for the specific mother stone gift things either.) Thats why I was trying to find other things that could be used for such. DiamondSeeker is righto!!!! And as she said...It is her bday. The three stone diamond is really a great idea. I do like the rolling ring idea though.

Three stones for the kiddos...or again to make it about her instead of the kids....6 to commemorate her 60..or something with 60 links.

OOOOHHH what about a pave band with 3 rows of stones...each row has 20 stones to equal 60 for her years...and the three rows represent the kiddos. Ohhhh I like that one!!!

We found a memorial gift for my MIL to commemorate her first anniversary as a widow. We found a bracelet that had 48 links the amount of married years...and it had a twisted interior group of three links that were matte finish...that represented her 3 children. So that one piece had the outer links that looked like wedding rings...one for each of them...and in the center the kids. It was a fluke to have found it. But it turned out to be so appropriate.

With this same thought pieces can be shortened or altered or stones can be added or removed...it can be really a great thoughtful piece when it is all said and done.

DKS

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aren''t "birthstones" kinda like "horoscopes" -- ultimately meaningless? Well ... they are in my opinion anyway. And I''m fond of my "birthstone" -- blue sapphire. And the odd horoscope. Like, ha!, on my birthDAY.

SOOOOOOOO -- DBY necklace?? Locket with picture of you guys in it?? Or -- STUDS STUDS STUDS

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! You are too funny DKS!

I definitely think studs are great, too, assuming her ears are pierced.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2007 12:46:34 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
!

I definitely think studs are great, too, assuming her ears are pierced.
Well, true. I just assumed she did have pierced ears, since HH was considering them.

However, we all know what happens when you start assuming.....
9.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2007 9:46:34 PM
Author: decodelighted
Aren't 'birthstones' kinda like 'horoscopes' -- ultimately meaningless? Well ... they are in my opinion anyway. And I'm fond of my 'birthstone' -- blue sapphire. And the odd horoscope. Like, ha!, on my birthDAY.

SOOOOOOOO -- DBY necklace?? Locket with picture of you guys in it?? Or -- STUDS STUDS STUDS
Sorry, I was just giving ideas. I love my jewelry with my kids' birthstones, and they like to look at them and point to which stone is who (they are young). Meaningless or not, they mean something to me.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh Diamond Dana...take no offense, please. I am so glad you enjoy your piece. And it sounds as if your children do too!

In my post I meant SOME of the mothers stone pieces just don''t float my boat. My mother is the BIGGEST jewelry NUTT on the planet...wears at least 6 bracelets...5 necklaces...one ring on every finger and a few with more. As my mother she has all my baby teeth...and saved all my artwork...and even cookies I decorated and sent her to eat 10 years ago as I was an adult...with that record~she is the mother of all mother jewelry candidates. But she begged me not to get her one.

I am a aquamarine and my brother is that yellow amber stone for November. She said she never wants those two mixed. Her stone is a Sapphire and she likes it...I think she wishes my brother has been a December baby so we could have shades of blue. Oh well. If I had my way we would have thrown him back in and waited for a sister.

My grandmother choose to have all three of our stones...and it isn''t pretty. You know... the usual mothers pieces seem to use dud stones. Her sapphire is dead...and my aquamarine is cloudy...and then my brothers yellowy stone is just aaakkkk! I wonder if that is why I don''t care for the normal special order pieces. They should have brilliance and sparkle in honor of the mother...they just don''t.

So you just go on loving your piece...and we''ll all crawl into a hole...or at least I will for thinking I may have hurt your feelers!! I really love that you appreciate yours. And that is all that matters. Kiss Kiss.

DKS

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense taken at all
35.gif
! Lol...I totally did not mean it the way it sounds!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
So... ummmm... how about STUDS?

OR... you could go with STUDS?

Or maybe... STUDS would be an excellent option!

I vote for STUDS (could you tell?)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2007 9:01:36 PM
Author: door knob solitaire

I am a aquamarine and my brother is that yellow amber stone for November. She said she never wants those two mixed. Her stone is a Sapphire and she likes it...I think she wishes my brother has been a December baby so we could have shades of blue. Oh well. If I had my way we would have thrown him back in and waited for a sister.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results