shape
carat
color
clarity

annoyed AGAIN! different reason though lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Today I went to the store - twice, but I digress... after the first time I''d backed in and gotten out and dd had gotten out and these two large dogs (one was a brown lab one was larger and looked to be a lab mix) came RUNNING at me and growling and I *freaked* and ran around the car toward the open door (mine was closed) and I kept thinking must save my kids. Since my middle son was attacked I have a very strong reaction... the dog that attacked him had menaced us in the car several times, holding us hostage etc. Well turns out these dogs were just out for a romp, but I could have done without the *running* toward me growling. Anyway, when I got in the side door of my van I whacked my arm on something... well I didn''t really notice it at first but at the 2nd store it started throbbing and at first I was like why? and then I looked at my arm and there is a half-egg sized (like a deviled egg lol) lump on my arm and it hurts *without* touching it and I''m just so pissed that someone let their dogs just go loose... and I know "let" is probably unfair, but nonetheless I''m just freaking annoyed! It is going to be only ugly forearm tomorrow!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
that sux
pepper spray teaches over agressive dogs a very good lesson.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Ugh! I don''t know why people get dogs that don''t bother to train them well. It''s not safe for anybody.

Sorry, one of my biggest pet (haha) peeves is when people don''t properly care for their pets, and that includes making sure they''re well trained!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh that would freak me out too. I walk a lot with my kids in our neighborhood and every once in a while there is a loose dog. My dog is always with us and although she''s a giant teddy bear she would protect of if challenged I''m sure. But i still don''t like strange big dogs running toward us with only my dog as protection..

maybe i should start carrying the pepperspray, will it hurt them long term?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a little bit afraid of dogs myself, so I know I would have done exactly the same thing! When I was young I got bit on the face by a crazy little shih tzu (sp?) and I still have a scar.

My parents also took in an abused dog when I was younger and he was usually nice, but once he bit my hand pretty badly when I reached for him to get him out from under the table while we were eating. I still have a scar from that, too!

So yeah, I''m definitely not a dog person! I''m a crazy cat lady!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sara, that''s so irresponsible of the owner (like I had to tell you that, LOL). What an idiot the owner of those dogs is... just beyond belief. And SO SORRY about your arm too.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 9:38:29 PM
Author: mrssalvo

No it will not hurt them long term.
a lot of the time pointing it at them and saying NO in a firm voice will do the trick without having to use it.
If they continue after that then a short burst on the nose will usualy do the trick.
Real aggressive dogs will require a full spray but less agressive dogs get the message with a bit on the nose.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks storm. I''m going to get some, that would definitely make me feel much better. it''s funny b/c it''s usually the dogs with tags that run towards us. the occasional strays I see, wag tails and usually just run on by..

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Oooo...that''s scary Cehra. I''m glad it wasn''t worse. People need to lease their dogs. The other day at my work, I was standing outside when this guy comes up with his big dog . Granted, the dog was leased, but he just let him come near me. I back up and he comes towards me. I back up again, saying no, no, no.....then the dog rubs himself all up and down my leg. Even though I love animals, big dogs scare me. One of my pet peeves is when strangers come up to me and just pet my dog. Umm hello... can you please ask first before you touch my baby?!
29.gif
Sort of like when people see the pregnant belly, they feel compelled to touch their stomach.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry you hurt your arm! Put some ice on it, it''ll take the swelling down..

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I just noticed I said leased and not leashed!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about your arm, Put an ice pack on it & take motrin for the pain.

I freak out whenever I see a loose dog. About a month ago I almost hit a pharoah hound that ran right in front of my car. It came up to my window looked at me then took off. 3 hours later I''m putting my daughter in my car & the same dog comes running up out of no where. I hurried up & shut us in the car. It circled my car then went away. Man, I was soooo scared. You all are going to think I''m crazy but when I take my daughter for a walk I keep a can of Raid & a pick ax in my stroller basket
32.gif
Just in case I need to fend off a person or animal.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what works great for scary dogs? Cherry bombs! They''re those little firecrackers which require absolutely no fire: they come in a little box and you throw them against pavement and they make a snap!snap!snap! sound. Dogs hate them.

When I lived on the farm with my parents growing up, we had a super long driveway and my brother and I would have to retrieve the mail everyday when we got off the schoolbus to bring it up to the house. The neighbor dogs were scary little ankle biting, barking fools who would try to chase us all the time, so one day my brother had the bright idea to scare them with those little store-bought firecrackers. It worked, and we used them a few times and it scared the crap out of those dogs so much they never pestered us again. I highly recommend them.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Oh for.... DON''T RUN! The very last thing you want to do is run from a dog! It''s not like you can outrun them and it can trigger their ''prey'' response.

Plus dogs tend to be far more aggressive towards people who are afraid of them. They can tell. My dog has the attitude that if someone is afraid of him then they must be up to no good and he gets growly.

Like Stormy says, the best defense is to say ''NO'' in a loud and deep voice. (this is important, lower your voice as much as possible, dogs ignore higher pitched commands and reprimands but love to be praised in a high pitched tone. Don''t know why.) If the dog(s) stop you might try saying sit in a low and firm voice then praise them in a high pitch baby talk tone.
You can also buy anti-dog sprays and noise makers from pet stores and pet supply companies.
5.gif
35.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2007 10:14:50 PM
Author: strmrdr

a lot of the time pointing it at them and saying NO in a firm voice will do the trick without having to use it.

If they continue after that then a short burst on the nose will usualy do the trick.

Real aggressive dogs will require a full spray but less agressive dogs get the message with a bit on the nose.

I used the oral equivalent of pepper spray-hot sauce-with the command, "Nein!" to train my dog to take the command seriously. He really did not like having hot sauce put in his mouth and came to cower if I went to the door with the bottle in my hand, but I knew it wasn''t really going to hurt him!

Deborah
34.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 10:40:58 AM
Author: IndieJones
Oh for.... DON''T RUN! The very last thing you want to do is run from a dog! It''s not like you can outrun them and it can trigger their ''prey'' response.

Plus dogs tend to be far more aggressive towards people who are afraid of them. They can tell. My dog has the attitude that if someone is afraid of him then they must be up to no good and he gets growly.

Like Stormy says, the best defense is to say ''NO'' in a loud and deep voice. (this is important, lower your voice as much as possible, dogs ignore higher pitched commands and reprimands but love to be praised in a high pitched tone. Don''t know why.) If the dog(s) stop you might try saying sit in a low and firm voice then praise them in a high pitch baby talk tone.
You can also buy anti-dog sprays and noise makers from pet stores and pet supply companies.
5.gif
35.gif
Thank you for posting this... I''m not going to get the pepper spray - I know I''d forget to use it and one of the boys would end up in it or something... it would be a waste.

But the NO part is good because DUHHHHH I never thought of that. I can do big commanding deep voice pretty good... unfortunately when dogs are like that I have a huge fear response because when my son was attacked (on the head/face) he was holding my hand and that is the image that runs through my head and I just want to GET AWAY. Flight is a strong response from me, never occurred to me to fight LOL and by fight I don''t mean hurting the animal, just standing my ground. I really wasn''t too concerned with my own safety as much as getting the kids all back in the van before the dogs got to them. Mommy the martyr I guess :/

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 11:53:12 AM
Author: AGBF

Date: 7/3/2007 10:14:50 PM
Author: strmrdr

I used the oral equivalent of pepper spray-hot sauce-with the command, ''Nein!'' to train my dog to take the command seriously. He really did not like having hot sauce put in his mouth and came to cower if I went to the door with the bottle in my hand, but I knew it wasn''t really going to hurt him!

Deborah
34.gif
that''s interesting training tool - "no means no!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results