shape
carat
color
clarity

And the winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
white gold.

As some of you know, I have been trying to decide between 14 kt and 18 kt yellow or white gold or platinum for a band ring.

I like the design of the Tiffany Lucida wedding band, but I can't wrap my mind around $800 for this ring and at $425 the 18 kt yellow is 2x what I can buy a gold ring for. I think the design is very subtle and the craftsmanship is very fine. I'm not saying they are over-priced. I'm only saying that I think I'd feel better about spending $200 or less.

Since the 'ideal' ring is the Tiffany platinum ring- that means the color should be white.

Does anyone have any thoughts about 14 kt vs 18 kt white gold? Any thoughts about any issue are welcome! I think the price difference is $50 and that isn't a factor. Thanks!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Also, question: are these pictures an accurate representation of white gold in person? Does it have this mirror finish?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3mm-or-4mm-plain-wedding-band.63435/

Thanks! I think this could work.
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
All I really know is, higher end jewelry is made with 18K, so since the price difference isn''t much, I''d probably go with that. And yes, it has a mirror like finish, when new. But wear and tear will dull it, and depending on the chemistry of the wearer, the Rhodium will wear off, faster on some than others. So periodic replating or polishing will be necessary to maintain the shiny fiish.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. What do you have, Ellen? Do you like it? Would you do the same thing again?

18kt is heavier, so I like that.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 10:25:17 AM
Author: Imdanny
Thanks. What do you have, Ellen? Do you like it? Would you do the same thing again?

18kt is heavier, so I like that.
Yes, and I did do it again! My first wedding set was 18K, and when I upgraded 2 years ago, I got the same thing again.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that''s nice! So you find that the rhodium plating doesn''t wear off quickly?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Muss, that link also has a picture of palladium, and I like the look of it. I don''t know how it ages, as it''s relatively new and there isn''t a lot of information about it.

I''m one of those people who probably wouldn''t like patina, and want to maintain an original finish as much as possible with the ring. Palladium is interesting. I just wish there were more owner reports to read. Thanks for the link!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 4:13:55 PM
Author: Imdanny
Oh, that''s nice! So you find that the rhodium plating doesn''t wear off quickly?
On me, doesn''t seem to. I did need to have my ring replated after the first year, but I honestly think I cleaned a lot of it off. Got a lil carried away at first, and also used ammonia and water a few times, which is a no no, it will take it off. So after the replating, and only using what is recommended for WG, it''s still fine a year later.

But, as I said, some peoples body chemistry will cause it to wear away faster, just depends on the person.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go with 18k white gold, too. I do think it is more appropriate for fine jewelry, and an appraiser on here said it is often actually more durable than 14k wg.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results