shape
carat
color
clarity

An Intro & Request for Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I'm very new here so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Michele and I live in The Woodlands, TX, just outside of Houston. My boyfriend (Jim) and I are planning to get married and I will be able to order my ring in about a week when he gets a large bonus check- we intend to pay cash rather than finance it. We've set the budget at $5,500.

I like princess cut diamonds but I'm afraid that I won't love it forever- they seem trendy and I've promised Jim that I will wear this ring every day for the rest of my life. I've also always loved the round halo look and am 98% sure that's what I want. This is the setting I'm leaning toward only with the diamonds 3/4 way around and in 18K:
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=E1

with this diamond:
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=9367631

I am not worried about an inclusion that I have to look really hard to find but I do want a diamond that really sparkles. I also would like something clearly above one carat. I guess you could say I'm not a diamond purist (sorry if that's sacriligious to say on this site!!) I just want something pretty and as big as possible.

I've tried using the HCA to rate the diamond but without all of the stats I can't get a reading.

I also love a ring at Whiteflash but since they're in Texas we would have to pay taxes and that would lower my budget.

If anyone has any advice or suggestons, they would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!!
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Contact Jim and have him pull it in for testing before buying it.
He can run a megascope report and get IS images for you and check out the inclusions.
You also need to know which egl it is.
egl-usa is ok the others arent.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hi..

I am a fan of Halo''s...I have one myself that was made at WF. I completely understand the whole save on tax business. I am in NY and could have gone to GOG but wanted to save on the tax and put that toward the ring. Too bad because WF is right there near you and you could have gone over to see everything.

Anyway...From what I have read on this site when I was doing my research..you should be careful with EGL stones since they are usually not what they are claiming. If they say a stone is an SI2, it is probably 1-2 grades down.

If you are going with DCD then call them, tell them your budget and what stones you would like them to look at for you. I have a H, SI2 with strong Flour. and it is very eye clean and very white (face up).

Good Luck with your search....very exciting time

Annette
35.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at EGL Si2, take into account GIA and AGS I1s... chances are there is the same amount of inclusions in the stones given the more or less lenient grading - at least by reputation. And whichever way, the position and nature of these inclusions would make or break the ''eye clean'' look of such diamonds. If you can find one comfortably clean and well cut, good for you.

I would not dismiss proportions just because this one listing doesn''t come with appropriate detail - many others might. And I would think DCD can get a copy of the EGL report.

... hoping that ''EGL'' means the US branch. The others are fine too - taking in to account potential ''overstatement'' of 2-3 grades in either color or clarity
38.gif
Which does away - usually - with the bargain status of such stones. They are simply mislabeled, and funny thing is... this practice is reasonably well known and endures big time. Weird, no?

My (inexpert) 2c.
34.gif

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much! After reading more on this website and talking to Josh at DCD I have now ruled out anything not GIA certified. I just don''t want any unpleasant surprises. I''m also going to wait until this weekend when we actually have the money in hand (we hope!) to look since Josh explained how the inventory changes daily, so the diamond I pick today might not be available when we''re ready to order.

I had been considering a seller on eBay as well but I think this site has talked me out of that route, too.

I''m still very open to advice so anything you can offer is greatly appreciated!!

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
Don't count AGS stones out either. Most on here would consider them on par with what GIA has to offer (and with recent events, even better perhaps).

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I lived just outside of Houston, I wouldn''t discount an in-person consultation at Whiteflash, just because you might have to pay sales tax. They have one of the best reputations out there and by the huge legions of highly satisfied testimonials you can read on PS, I''m not sure how you could not contact them and make an appointment?? There are many here who would be very jealous of the fact you can visit them in person.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 1:00:40 PM
Author: chickflick

I had been considering a seller on eBay as well but I think this site has talked me out of that route, too.
Thank goodness!! STAY AWAY FROM EBAY!! You are much better off going with a reputable dealer with a reasonable return policy. IMHO, Ebay is for tchotchkes (sp?) and maybe a popcorn maker... but much too risky for something as important as a ring that you intend to wear for the rest of your life! (There are, of course, always exceptions..., but why take the risk when you have a selection of internet vendors that have great inventory and reasonable pricing!)

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 1:53:00 PM
Author: Rod
If I lived just outside of Houston, I wouldn''t discount an in-person consultation at Whiteflash, just because you might have to pay sales tax. They have one of the best reputations out there and by the huge legions of highly satisfied testimonials you can read on PS, I''m not sure how you could not contact them and make an appointment?? There are many here who would be very jealous of the fact you can visit them in person.
CF:
I second what Rod says- I wouldn''t discount WF!

I live in CA, but was able to visit WF in person while I was in town on biz. The way to go about scheduling a visit is to first make contact with them, and begin working with a rep. Tell them what you''re looking for. Who knows, they may already have something in-house that meets your criteria. If not, they''ll work with you to call in a stone. That''s what happened in my case, and my FI ended up buying the stone- sight unseen! He was OK with the fact that I had seen it in person, and all the info (IS, sarin) pointed to it being a true performer!

GOOD LUCK!

CG

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Make sure you try on some round halos as well
2.gif
some people don''t love the look of halos once on their hand.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 4:58:46 PM
Author: Princess V
Make sure you try on some round halos as well
2.gif
some people don''t love the look of halos once on their hand.
Oh very very very good point Princess V!!!

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again for your advice! You guys are great! The problem with trying on is that I have big hands- size 8.5 on my ring finger. None of the samples fit! I went to an EXTREMELY over-priced local B&M jeweler over the weekend (Donaho''s) and they had halos that I tried on my pinky finger. They were also $10k for a three-quarter carat in a setting that was OK but nothing special, although I like the way it looked as far as I could tell. I actually think a thinner band looks better on my fingers since a thicker band tends to look like a stuffed sausage in a too-small casing.

I may try to make an appointment with WF but I hate to do that if I''m not sure I want to buy from them. The taxes mean I''d spend an extra $450 that doesn''t go toward the diamond.

I just don''t know how to choose just one ring to wear every day for the rest of my life!! No matter what I decide, I''m sure at some point I''ll find a ring I like better. I wish Jim had just bought it for me because then it wouldn''t be my decision!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 8:56:54 PM
Author: chickflick
Thanks again for your advice! You guys are great! The problem with trying on is that I have big hands- size 8.5 on my ring finger. None of the samples fit! I went to an EXTREMELY over-priced local B&M jeweler over the weekend (Donaho''s) and they had halos that I tried on my pinky finger. They were also $10k for a three-quarter carat in a setting that was OK but nothing special, although I like the way it looked as far as I could tell. I actually think a thinner band looks better on my fingers since a thicker band tends to look like a stuffed sausage in a too-small casing.

I may try to make an appointment with WF but I hate to do that if I''m not sure I want to buy from them. The taxes mean I''d spend an extra $450 that doesn''t go toward the diamond.

I just don''t know how to choose just one ring to wear every day for the rest of my life!! No matter what I decide, I''m sure at some point I''ll find a ring I like better. I wish Jim had just bought it for me because then it wouldn''t be my decision!
Hmmm, don''t see that happening. Once you see an ACA in person, you are hooked for life. No offense to anyone here; but man, are they something.

shay

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I called Whiteflash and talked to someone who was very helpful and I am setting up an appointment to visit them. I plan to take my guy and hope that he''ll up the budget just a bit to cover for taxes once we''re there. It''s all y''alls fault!! :) In any event I''m very excited and can''t wait to see some of it in person. I''ll let you all know how it goes and thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results