carat
color
clarity

An interesting (to me) ASET comparison -- JA vs. DiamCalc

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Re: An interesting (to me) ASET comparison -- JA vs. DiamCal

Karl_K|1409858867|3744864 said:
Part of the issue is the crispness of a virtual facet needs motion to be seen.
A crisp virtual facet is like a light bulb on a switch on and of on and off.
A less crisp virtual facet is like the same light bulb on a dimmer where the knob is slowly turned.
Both can look the same in a static ASET image both virtual and real.
That is also incredibly complex to account for all the factors that affect it.

Karl,
Would you mind explaining the above?

Obviously, the on/off description is an analogy (and an apt one!), but in actuality, the only way that motion can cause a virtual facet to appear to turn on and off is if some light-dark boundary is reflected in the facet and towards the eyes of the observer; with motion, the reflected image moves so that the observer sees first the dark region, then the boundary, then the light region (or vice versa). Because the relected rays can rotate faster than the angle of rotation of the diamond, it gives the illusion of turning the facets on and off.

Now, to my confusion: To get an non-crisp effect that looks like a "bulb on a dimmer where the knob is slowly turned", assuming my description above is sufficiently accurate for purposes of discussion, the only way this can happen is if one has a blurry boundary between the light and dark zones that traverse the virtual facet (to cause the on-off effect). Most likely the light-dark boundary is due to a pair of neighboring facets somehere else in the diamond. Thus, wouldn't it be true that the root cause of the "dimmer" effect that you described is ultimately a fuzzy boundary between two virtual facets? And if so, wouldn't we also see such fuzzy boundaries in the static image?

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

Texas Leaguer|1409855591|3744829 said:
Karl_K|1409854275|3744815 said:
If you look at the wire frame output from a diamond scan you will often see facets that don't exist on the real diamond or facets that don't line up the way they do on the real diamond.
*snip*
This is an excellent overview Karl. You should turn it into an article. In your spare time. :wink2:
Of course you would also want to hit on the strengths as well as weaknesses. It is a pretty incredible technology.

I agree with Bryan: Thank you, Karl!

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Karl_K|1409854275|3744815 said:
If you look at the wire frame output from a diamond scan you will often see facets that don't exist on the real diamond or facets that don't line up the way they do on the real diamond.

In my experience a few extra small facets from scan error which are angled very close(within scanning error 0.0 - 0.1 degrees) to the original facet have negligible impact on the DC generated ASET image for most brilliant cuts such as this Marquise.

ASET angular ranges are wide so unless scanning error creates a change in a ray at a border Red/Green or Blue/Red it will rarely make much of a difference on the appearance.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Texas Leaguer|1409859251|3744867 said:
Not looking to take this down a rabbit hole. I'm claustrophobic and a little afraid of the dark. And rabbits.

But, what would you say to drk's theory that a CG ASET (from a good scan) could be misleading vs a well captured real ASET photo in terms of crispness of the facet patterns. Is this a weakness of CG ASET?

I don't find anything misleading about a generated ASET from a decent scan in brilliant cuts. They may not be exactly like the photographed ASET for a variety of reasons but the match is usually good enough for me to make an accurate general assessment.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

MelisendeDiamonds|1409864999|3744954 said:
They may not be exactly like the photographed ASET for a variety of reasons but the match is usually good enough for me to make an accurate general assessment.
Agreed.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

John Pollard|1409865306|3744963 said:
They may not be exactly like the photographed ASET for a variety of reasons but the match is usually good enough for me to make an accurate general assessment.
Agreed.
Except when it don't and if you don't have a real image to compare. how do you know?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

drk14|1409861675|3744909 said:
Karl_K|1409858867|3744864 said:
Part of the issue is the crispness of a virtual facet needs motion to be seen.
A crisp virtual facet is like a light bulb on a switch on and of on and off.
A less crisp virtual facet is like the same light bulb on a dimmer where the knob is slowly turned.
Both can look the same in a static ASET image both virtual and real.
That is also incredibly complex to account for all the factors that affect it.

Karl,
Would you mind explaining the above?

Obviously, the on/off description is an analogy (and an apt one!), but in actuality, the only way that motion can cause a virtual facet to appear to turn on and off is if some light-dark boundary is reflected in the facet and towards the eyes of the observer; with motion, the reflected image moves so that the observer sees first the dark region, then the boundary, then the light region (or vice versa). Because the relected rays can rotate faster than the angle of rotation of the diamond, it gives the illusion of turning the facets on and off.

Now, to my confusion: To get an non-crisp effect that looks like a "bulb on a dimmer where the knob is slowly turned", assuming my description above is sufficiently accurate for purposes of discussion, the only way this can happen is if one has a blurry boundary between the light and dark zones that traverse the virtual facet (to cause the on-off effect). Most likely the light-dark boundary is due to a pair of neighboring facets somehere else in the diamond. Thus, wouldn't it be true that the root cause of the "dimmer" effect that you described is ultimately a fuzzy boundary between two virtual facets? And if so, wouldn't we also see such fuzzy boundaries in the static image?

Just so you don't think I am ignoring you, I need to think about how to explain it in an easy manner.
It is complex. More later.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

Karl_K|1409866188|3744976 said:
Just so you don't think I am ignoring you, I need to think about how to explain it in an easy manner.
It is complex. More later.

Thanks, Karl. Yes, it took me over 200 words just to formulate the question, so I can appreciate that an explanation won't be easy to compose. Nonetheless, with a physics and engineering background, I'm not afraid of complexity, so I won't mind a technical answer. Thanks for taking the time.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Karl_K said:
Agreed.
Except when it don't and if you don't have a real image to compare. how do you know?

If you look at the wireframe DC and it shows facets that aren't there, you can hover over them to get their angle and that of the adjacent real facets, if this difference is large enough to matter you get it rescanned but in most cases this isn't necessary for a routine examination.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

MelisendeDiamonds|1409868929|3745008 said:
Karl_K said:
Agreed.

If you look at the wireframe DC and it shows facets that aren't there, you can hover over them to get their angle and that of the adjacent real facets, if this difference is large enough to matter you get it rescanned but in most cases this isn't necessary for a routine examination.
That only works when you have DC and the data, if you just have the image it doesn't help.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I guess if we back up a bit to the original post we can take away a few basic things without getting too far down the rabbit hole:

1) a well taken ASET photo and a computer generated ASET from a good scan are very similar. Having both can reinforce the validity of one another (or indicate a problem with one).
2) Despite possible variables introduced by the photo setup, operator skill, and instrumentation error of the scanner, the images provide useful information related to the performance and potential beauty of the diamond.
3) An ASET image, (either CG or actual) will not be able to tell you everything you need to know about a given diamond.

This is a case study where the diamond's predicted performance based upon its ASET signature was born out by real life observation. It follows that if a consumer was shopping for a nice performing marquise and saw a candidate with an ASET signature similar to this one, it would be worth further consideration and taking a look at in real life.

As with any tool, understanding the strengths and limitations of it, and employing it for the right purposes, determines its value.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

here is part of the answer:
This is my favorite DC lighting with the DC default tolk diamond.

Here is the lighting map:

dcvirtualdiamond.jpg

lightmap.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Now you would think you would get little scintillation if it was caused by light boundaries.
You would be right but there is more to the story....
Lets look at where the diamond is drawing light from by putting it in sphere with that lighting...

whereitdrawslight.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lets look at the side view of the sphere....
Note: this is just a small part of what goes on overall......

sideviewofsphere.jpg

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Texas Leaguer said:
I guess if we back up a bit to the original post we can take away a few basic things without getting too far down the rabbit hole:

1) a well taken ASET photo and a computer generated ASET from a good scan are very similar. Having both can reinforce the validity of one another (or indicate a problem with one).
2) Despite possible variables introduced by the photo setup, operator skill, and instrumentation error of the scanner, the images provide useful information related to the performance and potential beauty of the diamond.
3) An ASET image, (either CG or actual) will not be able to tell you everything you need to know about a given diamond.

This is a case study where the diamond's predicted performance based upon its ASET signature was born out by real life observation. It follows that if a consumer was shopping for a nice performing marquise and saw a candidate with an ASET signature similar to this one, it would be worth further consideration and taking a look at in real life.

Agreed.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Texas Leaguer|1409870587|3745019 said:

As with any tool, understanding the strengths and limitations of it, and employing it for the right purposes, determines its value.
well said.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K|1409865973|3744972 said:
Agreed.
Key to this: Decent scan. Brilliant cut. General assessment.

No different than using an ideal-scope or ASET loupe and tweezers to pick high performing melee from a parcel. General assessment. Not trying to dissect things nearly as much as the conversation here purports-to, which I also like doing, and requires more surgical analysis.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Texas Leaguer|1409870587|3745019 said:

+1
Agree 100%

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

top same image from above...
Below 2 degree tilt which is just a very slight movement of the hand.
Notice how much the placement and distribution of the light draw has changed.
This is where scintillation starts but it can not be totally explained in this simple a manner there are far more variables.

whereitdrawslight.jpg

2degreetilt.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K|1409888980|3745200 said:
This is where scintillation starts but it can not be totally explained in this simple a manner there are far more variables.

whereitdrawslight.jpg

2degreetilt.jpg
To my eye while the placements have shifted, the overall distribution remained pretty stable.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Texas Leaguer|1409931420|3745416 said:

whereitdrawslight.jpg

2degreetilt.jpg
To my eye while the placements have shifted, the overall distribution remained pretty stable.
2 degrees right is a very tiny movement.
Lets try 5 down and 5 right which is still a small movement. It is much more obvious now.

5right5down.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K|1409945077|3745578 said:
Texas Leaguer|1409931420|3745416 said:

whereitdrawslight.jpg
2degreetilt.jpg
2 degrees right is a very tiny movement.
Lets try 5 down and 5 right which is still a small movement. It is much more obvious now.

That certainly shuffles the deck. The symmetrical patterns have now given way to a more chaotic spread. But it is interesting that the overall coverage is still quite full. If anything a little more full. Is that from multiplication of virtual facets?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Texas Leaguer|1409946760|3745601 said:
That certainly shuffles the deck. The symmetrical patterns have now given way to a more chaotic spread. But it is interesting that the overall coverage is still quite full. If anything a little more full. Is that from multiplication of virtual facets?
It could be, I am not sure.
It does sound plausible.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

I'm not sure what part of this is supposed to be obvious. =) :confused: :read:

Other than the fact that all the dots have moved, the main thing I noticed is that there are more dots near the equator of the sphere in the tilted view.

I have no experience with the DC software, so I don't know how to read the light map, or the spherical projections of the rays.

I believe the latter is a reverse trace of light rays from an observer's eye that is looking at a diamond, following the reversed ray until it exits the diamond and intersects a sphere centered around the diamond; thus showing the various angular directions from which light enters the diamond to produce an image in the observer's eye. So kind of like a 3-dimensional ASET.

But I still don't know what I'm supposed to learn by comparing the spheres of the tilted and non-tilted diamonds. Or how this explain why in some cases, virtual facets turn on/off abruptly, and in other cases transition gradually.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

drk14|1409959251|3745694 said:
I'm not sure what part of this is supposed to be obvious. =) :confused: :read:
That small amounts of tilt produce fairly large differences where the diamond is getting light from.
Other than the fact that all the dots have moved, the main thing I noticed is that there are more dots near the equator of the sphere in the tilted view.

I have no experience with the DC software, so I don't know how to read the light map, or the spherical projections of the rays.

I believe the latter is a reverse trace of light rays from an observer's eye that is looking at a diamond, following the reversed ray until it exits the diamond and intersects a sphere centered around the diamond; thus showing the various angular directions from which light enters the diamond to produce an image in the observer's eye. So kind of like a 3-dimensional ASET.
Yes

But I still don't know what I'm supposed to learn by comparing the spheres of the tilted and non-tilted diamonds. Or how this explain why in some cases, virtual facets turn on/off abruptly, and in other cases transition gradually.
I was addressing the comment about light boundaries and scintillation and how there is more to it than that.
I haven't got to the rest yet.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

Karl_K|1409963895|3745734 said:
I was addressing the comment about light boundaries and scintillation and how there is more to it than that.
OK, thanks, I wasn't sure if there were additional installments coming in your explanation, or if I was just lost! =)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

drk14|1409965760|3745764 said:
Karl_K|1409963895|3745734 said:
OK, thanks, I wasn't sure if there were additional installments coming in your explanation, or if I was just lost! =)
Ok, here are some things to consider before we go on:
a: virtual facets are created by the interaction of the real facets.
b: virtual facets are relative to the viewer, three people standing side by side looking at a diamond will each see virtual facets that don't exist to the other viewers in that apparent location size, shape and where they draw and return light.
c: virtual facets change shape, location, size, number and where they draw and return light with movement of the viewer and or the diamond.(changes in viewing angle changes them)

I like to think of it that virtual facets are created and destroyed as the viewing angles change but other experts do not like that wording but it is what makes it click in my mind.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

Karl_K|1410022748|3746007 said:
Following you so far.

Is it safe to say that each spot on the sphere maps to one virtual facet?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

drk14|1410124540|3746607 said:
Karl_K|1410022748|3746007 said:
Following you so far.

No, one VF may draw light from multiple locations and 2 VFs can draw light from the same general location.
Particularly with large virtual facets.
Which brings us to part one.
With large virtual facets with there show change rate are more sensitive to yawed and or wavy facets.
The will often split into 2 or more virtual facets if formed by yawed facets under tilt.
It also can effect the snappy on and off appearance of scintillation from them.

yawed = twisted facets that are not aligned in 3d. Because the wheel rotates in one direction it wants to cut more on one end of the facet and for precision cutting this must be accounted for.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/facet-yaw.21857/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/facet-yaw.21857/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/azimuth-shift-yaw.33257/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/azimuth-shift-yaw.33257/[/URL]

wavy facets are often the result of hardness variations in the diamond and can load to lower polish scores.
They can also be caused by vibration in the cutting process. Eliminating vibration has been one area where great strides have been taken in improving diamond cutting technology.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

Karl_K|1410140704|3746746 said:
drk14|1410124540|3746607 said:
No, one VF may draw light from multiple locations
But multiple locations on the sphere suggests that the reverse ray-trace (from the eye through the diamond to the sphere) was bifurcated at some point -- doesn't this imply that the ray has hit a facet boundary (how else would the ray split?), and wouldn't this therefore create two distinct virtual facets for the viewer?

Karl_K|1410140704|3746746 said:
2 VFs can draw light from the same general location.
OK, but is this just a limitation of the software (or the rendering of the sphere)? That is to say, under this scenario, if we were able to zoom in on such a spot on the surface of the sphere (i.e., "the same general location" that serves as a light source for two distinct VFs), would we then see two distinct spots if the spatial resolution was sufficient?

And with regards to wavy facets: Are these accounted for in computer-generated ASETs?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results