shape
carat
color
clarity

Ametrine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking for an ametrine for a new project, and I''m having trouble finding what I''m looking for.

Purple and yellow is my favorite color combination - they were my wedding colors, and how I''ve decorated my kitchen/dining room. I had my first baby in July and my (29th) birthday is next month, so I would really like a purple and yellow ring to commemorate the occasions.

I love the ametrines that are faceted with a mix of the colors, like the picture I''ve attached. I would really prefer that to the traditional look of an ametrine (emerald cut, 50/50 color split, etc). The problem I''m running into is that I think the material is just too cheap - all the stones I''m finding are huge! I typically wear small, dainty jewelry anyway, and since I want a ring, I really don''t need or want a 13 carat stone!

What I would ideally like is a round or oval, fairly saturated ametrine around 6-7 mm. Any suggestions where to look? Are there any cutters to check with that work with ametrine? I know it''s an inexpensive stone, which is great for my budget, but is actually making my search pretty difficult!

ametrineoval.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Much of the Ametrine being sold as natural is lab created, and is normally cut in an emerald shape since this shows the 2 color best.

THe reason you are seeing larger sizes is that it''s not economical to cut small stones that are relativity inexpensive, and in a small size, the 2 colors would not show well, but rather kind of mix. I do agree that other cuts if done right can make a very attractive stone, but I think you are going to mostly see this in larger stones.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Vetrik, you can find ametrine in smaller sizes (even 6-7 mm) from some of the dealers in Thailand, where cutting costs are low.

Please be careful about synthetic ametrine. The photo you have posted is very likely a synthetic stone, since natural ametrine is usually not found in those saturated colors.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
You can look at some of the stones here. Though they''re larger than you want they''re not cut in the traditional emerald cut style. Perhaps they can get you a stone in the size you want?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
This would make for a very unusual ring, but probably would be better as a pendant.

ametrinehex.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
This cushion is larger than you might like. Does this type of coloring work for you, or still not really?

ametrinecush.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you could buy a stone like this and then get a cutter to cut down your favorite portion to the size you want?

ametroval.jpg

artemiss

Rough_Rock
Drool.
I love ametrine..

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s an ametrine that mixes purple and yellow, with a special design. At 3.1cts (9mm) it''s among the smaller ones I''ve seen. And if this doesn''t work for you, then maybe they have some similar rough to make a smaller size for you.

ametrinernd.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m too concerned with possibly getting a synthetic ametrine, especially with something in that perfect 50/50 split. They are also relatively inexpensive so it doesn’t make sense to cut a small stone and sell it for less since the time spent on both stones are about the same, hence you’ll find large ametrines for sale. I know this isn’t what you are looking for, but with the fancy cut, the size will not pose an issue with it set as a pendant. Not only that, Barry is an upstanding cutter and doesn’t sell synthetic stones.
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=27

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results