shape
carat
color
clarity

Ametrine Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I need help as I am going to buy a ametrine for my gf and thought that I can buy a pair so as to make it a couple ring.
But is 5+ct too big as a man ring? I could not think of any ideas except viewing the Man Rings link to find ideas. But non of which allow Emerald setting of 5ct. Can anyone suggest what ring setting for my gf and what setting for me so that it still looks like a couple ring though both of us prefer very thin band.

Can I use it as a everyday wear however will take the ring off before sleep or bath?
Any feedbacks on the bottom few ametrines:
1st

2nd

Or should I get a larger piece of my gf and a smaller piece for myself? If so, should I get both the same shape (emerald with emerald or so-on?) In this case this are the ametrine that caught my eye for my gf:
Concave 4.18ct IF (is there too much purple in this rock?)

Emerald 5.93ct IF

Unfortunately, I haven manage to find a small ct one to my liking as the color of the small ones are too light.
Can I have some suggestions on the purchase of Option 1: 2 large 5+ct stones or Option 2: 1 large one for gf and a smaller one for myself.
No matter for Option 1 or 2: kindly advise the kind of setting for my gf and myself.

Thanks a million

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow - 5cts is pretty large even for a womans ring! I certainly can''t see how to make a man''s ring with such a large stone, specially since it will sit pretty high off the finger. Could you show us some pictures of the kind of setting you like best?

Quartz is not the toughest of stones and will eventually show wear, specially in a 24hr, 7day a week ring.

How do you feel about treatment? Most of the ametrine in the market today has been irradiated to create the two colour effect (ie., it was originally a piece of amethyst that was treated to create the yellow part).

As for shape, that is really up to your GF and you. I think that ametrine has the most effect in an emerald cut, but there is nothing to "prohibit" you from having different cuts.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I would go for smaller pieces for both of you. Here is a pic of a large ametrine that I bought a little over a year ago...it covers almost my entire finger! I don''t know the carat weight or whether it''s treated, but it''s about 12x8 if I remember correctly. The color isn''t showing well because of the lighting, but it''s a nice bi-color.

PhillyPSgtg718%20(27).jpg

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain, I do not have any specific setting that I like and hope to seek suggestions here.
What does treatment do the Ametrine? Will it reduce the durability to it? As far as concern, the ones in the links are none treatment.
Thanks for your sharings. However, the website do not provide any decent side of at least 2ct and less than 4ct. So the best I can get is probably 5+ ct.

jstarfireb,
You setting is gorgeous. I would just want a simple setting for both mine and gf''s ring, wouldn''t be anything fanciful.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think men''s rings can be made with large gems and still look tasteful, but it''s not easy. But what I''d be more concerned about, however, is the lack of comfort or wearability of such rings for 24/7 wear, especially for women. Not to mention that the size of the stones alone would put them at a high risk of damage in daily wear, as they''d probably get knocked around quite a bit, even if bezeled.

I know what you mean about ametrines not having much of a color in small sizes, but that''s the case with most stones, and if your budget is tight you don''t have much options when it comes to bicolored or multicolored stones. Why are you two so drawn to ametrine; any particular reason?

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LadyDisdain,
Can you quote any sources or references to acknowledge the statement regarding the treatment placed on Ametrine?

You stated: "How do you feel about treatment? Most of the ametrine in the market today has been irradiated to create the two colour effect (ie., it was originally a piece of amethyst that was treated to create the yellow part)."

Please know, I''m not being combative - I really would like to have a proper understanding.

Sorry about the thread jack, and I thank you in advance.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Roger,

First of all, I misidentified the type of treatment: it is heat, not irradiation (comes from posting when I am not suposed to). Since I didn''t mention this before (and I should have, ebay is crawling with it!), there is also a lot of hydrothermal quartz being called ametrine.

This information comes from dealers I deal with here in Brazil. They know I insist on knowing treatment (some are ok with me, some aren''t) and they are usually forthcoming.

Since I am an amateaur, not a scholar, I don''t have the references at the tip of my fingers. A quick search, however, found references to this in Gems, by Michael O''Donoghue and Robert Webster (pg 301); a thread on Mindat with information by Rob Woodside (http://www.mindat.org/forum.php?read,11,144780,144788,quote=1) and countless nameless webpages. Edward Brystol also claims that ametrine is heated, but he is not clear on why (he also references the GemLab article).

On the other hand, a article by Thomas Hainschwang from GEMLAB (http://www.gemguide.com/news/0109GMNSyntheticQuartz.pdf) disparages this theory, by claiming it would not yield attractive stones.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Beatriz

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LadyDisdain,
Thank you! Very informative, and would be good for me to perform some further research so that I may have a more complete understanding. Well done.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think all the ametrines I''ve seen tend to be large but first and foremost, my concern is about whether the stone will hold up to everyday wear. Quartz is a softer stone and even if removed during sleep and bath, it will still show a lot of wear and tear quite soon.

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
Ma Re, That is because it is a stone for the horoscope pisces and my gf is a pisces. Its price is also at the lower end, unlike aquamarine which is on the higher end. I am actually looking at 3ct for her but the website do not have any at that size.

jstarfireb, indeed your stone is a beauty. Do you use it at a everyday ring?

Chrono, so what gemstone will you reccomand with a significant link to us? I am born in Aug and she in march.
As i mention before that aqua is price at the higher end and my peridot birthstone is also 6.5-7 in the hardness scale.
I thought since peridot and ametrine (7) weight almost the same in the hardness scale yet look much nicer, I would rather get a ametrine for both of us since it relates to her horoscope.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about going with bangle bracelets? They''re also circular so can have similar symbolism as rings and they''d be much easier to wear on a daily basis than rings (especially when containing large stones). If bangles are made of sterling silver you can keep the cost down and it might be easier to design a matching pair of hers and his ametrine bangles than hers and his ametrine rings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A strange idea but how about wearing the rings on a necklace when you are doing “rough” work and worn on the finger when doing sedentary work?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2009 11:26:04 PM
Author: mitsui4
jstarfireb, indeed your stone is a beauty. Do you use it at a everyday ring?

Thanks! Nope, I only wear it occasionally, in part because it''s so big, and in part because I have too many other rings to wear!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2009 12:44:39 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Wow - 5cts is pretty large even for a womans ring! I certainly can''t see how to make a man''s ring with such a large stone, specially since it will sit pretty high off the finger. Could you show us some pictures of the kind of setting you like best?

Quartz is not the toughest of stones and will eventually show wear, specially in a 24hr, 7day a week ring.

How do you feel about treatment? Most of the ametrine in the market today has been irradiated to create the two colour effect (ie., it was originally a piece of amethyst that was treated to create the yellow part).

As for shape, that is really up to your GF and you. I think that ametrine has the most effect in an emerald cut, but there is nothing to ''prohibit'' you from having different cuts.
Quite a bit of it is synthetic as well, and difficult to detect.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 7:41:50 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 7/20/2009 12:44:39 PM

Author: Lady_Disdain

As for shape, that is really up to your GF and you. I think that ametrine has the most effect in an emerald cut, but there is nothing to ''prohibit'' you from having different cuts.

Quite a bit of it is synthetic as well, and difficult to detect.

Wow, I didn''t realize so much ametrine was treated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results