shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethysts and Synthetics...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has come up in another thread but I am very interested in it.

WHY are there alot of synthetic amethysts out there????
6.gif

I thought that amethysts were easy to find and therefore cheap compared to other stones. I have a ring that has some color zoning. Now I''m glad because according to the other thread it''s most likely a real Amethyst. But I have earrings that were sold as genuine and now I''m wondering about them...

Anyone have any answers?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless the earrings are a very highly saturated and rare color, 90% of the cost of the earrings probably is in the gold weight (assuming it's gold). Amethysts are typically very inexpensive, as you had mentioned, so it probably isn't worth your time and cost to send them to a lab and check them out as natural. If it really bothers you, it would probably be more cosf effective to have the settings reset with amethysts that you are certain are 100% natural.

Otherwise, if someone else can indicate what would visually determine a hydrothermal amethyst from a natural one other than color zoning, that would be nice to know. I do not know for sure, but I think hydrothermal amethysts are more intense colored than the typical Brazilian flavor of amethyst that is so abundant in the marketplace. However, I could be wrong.

Hope that helps!

ptorraca

Rough_Rock
Amethyst is less expensive than other stones, but synthetics are cheaper still. I saw fine natural Brazilian amethyst rough at $9/gram in a wholesale venue at Tucson last year. On the other hand, I can order synthetic amethyst of about the same color from an online source at $0.80/gram. (In both cases, I''d have to by a kilogram to get those prices.)

With that kind price ratio, it doesn''t surprise me in the least that the market is flooded with synthetics. It''s also another reason for going with a reputable cutter or vendor -- once cut, it can be very difficult to tell natural from synthetic quartz.

peter

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know how true it is but I’ve read somewhere that faceted synthetic amethysts can be had for as little as $1/ct!
23.gif
Based on that, I guess it means that it must be very inexpensive to make them.

ptorraca

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 3:22:25 PM
Author: Chrono
I don’t know how true it is but I’ve read somewhere that faceted synthetic amethysts can be had for as little as $1/ct!
23.gif
Based on that, I guess it means that it must be very inexpensive to make them.

Yes, that's true -- I've seen them in literal buckets at Tucson. Of course, they're poorly cut and destined for the cheap jewelry displays at big retailers. They're so cheap that I was tempted to buy them for recutting if I could be sure I was getting something natural... which is, of course, the catch.

Where amethyst & citrine are concerned, I'm about ready to start recommending people buy stone with inclusions just to be sure they're the real thing.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/2/2009 1:55:23 PM
Author:Stone Hunter

WHY are there alot of synthetic amethysts out there????
6.gif

Anyone have any answers?

I have ALL the answers, but most of them are synthetic, (I made them up and they aren''t natural). Here''s some for your amethyst question:

1. No one has to go digging in a dark, dank hole for synthetic amethyst.
2. No one has to cobb all the junk off of the rough stones to get to the clear parts.
3. Making the rough much cheaper.
4. Here''s the big one...Most people don''t care if the stone is natural or not. Most of this stuff goes to maul stores for holidays and birthdays, etc. They don''t know or really care what the cheap stuff they''re buying is made of and so there is no pressure to provide natural materials.

This is one of those stones where you are almost required to buy no more than two steps away from a cutter to get what you are being sold.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU all for your replies.

I see now that while Amethyst is cheap Synthetic Amethyst is DIRT cheap. It''s really a mind clean thing with me. I just prefer real stones over man made stones.

Even when I bought a CHEAP stacker to try out the stacking ring thing I bought one labled "genuine" instead of the CZs.

I better warn my husband about all of this deception at Maul stores and Big Box stores. Ah well just another reason to keep buying from the PS vendors.
9.gif
11.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 5:40:41 PM
Where amethyst & citrine are concerned, I''m about ready to start recommending people buy stone with inclusions just to be sure they''re the real thing.
i actually like inclusions in a gemstone
its pretty and unique =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2009 9:43:19 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
THANK YOU all for your replies.

I see now that while Amethyst is cheap Synthetic Amethyst is DIRT cheap. It''s really a mind clean thing with me. I just prefer real stones over man made stones.

Even when I bought a CHEAP stacker to try out the stacking ring thing I bought one labled ''genuine'' instead of the CZs.

I better warn my husband about all of this deception at Maul stores and Big Box stores. Ah well just another reason to keep buying from the PS vendors.
9.gif
11.gif
Yes, even television vendors are not immune. I believe Rparker bought a synthetic emerald from the Liquidation Channel, and they sold it as natural.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results