shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I the only one who thinks these are pretty?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a few I found. These are absolutely awful and I wouldn't even pay the asking price for these but if you like them, you like them!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-BICOLOR-GREEN-YELLOW-SAPPHIRE-RING-7-VINTAGE-old-ESTATE-FILIGREE-RARE-/300847743807?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item460bec433f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21-CTS-MATCHED-PAIR-UNTREATED-UNHEATED-NATURAL-BI-COLOR-SAPPHIRES-UNIQUE-GEM-/130847185654?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item1e77199af6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-6-carats-natural-bi-color-sapphire-silver-ring-FREE-SIZING-USA-SELLER-/111005199104?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item19d86ceb00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CERTIFIED-782-60-cts-TOP-QUALITY-BI-COLOR-UNTREATED-GREY-BLUE-SAPPHIRE-SUPER-/130846950336?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item1e771603c0

I'm going to answer the question you asked Chris because I think I know what his answer will be (correct me if I'm wrong please Chris). Sapphires like these are what we affectionately call fish tank gravel! The majority of these are exceptionally poorly cut and therefore the value and appeal is limited. If there was a well cut one that had an appeal, would I buy it? Maybe if it was priced correctly and wasn't in the hundreds. In terms of inclusions, some stones have cool inclusions and if you search you'll find a thread I started asking people to show their stones that weren't considered "normal" but still had beauty. You'll be surprised at how gorgeous some are. However, the same can't be said for the ones I've linked to above (sorry) :nono:

I'm not biased to this as I own several bi-colour sapphires and certainly some gems that have interesting inclusions but are not pretty. However, you have to know when a gem is rubbish or when it really does have a value! To give you two examples ............ the first one is one I bought from an Ebay seller and the picture showed a highly saturated gem with a small window. In reality it had a window the size of double doors with muted colours. I bought two from this seller and both were dreadful. I gave the pear shaped one away and the only reason I kept this one was because I had an empty setting and whilst trying to decide what to set in it, for fun, I popped in the stone and couldn't believe my eyes when the window minimised! We called this Houdini and it became a bit of a joke for a while. It's not a great photo of it but the window really is much less obvious in the setting. Do I wear it? No. Never. Is this rubbish? Yes absolutely!

The second is a bi-colour sapphire BUT the difference is that this is a colour changing sapphire. Both sides change to different colours. This is highly unusual. Is this one rubbish? No. Actually its probably a collectors item.

sapphire_bi_colour_images_for_ps.jpg

sapphire_colour_change_bi_colour_in_0.jpg

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
LD - you are very right about what Chris says. You sound a lot like him! ha

Sorry, but I don't like the stones in your link. I don't like all included, bicolor sapphires, but I do like the ones I posted. I agree they are probably flooded with light and therefore would look different in person. I also now understand that they are over-priced. Price aside, I do find them very pretty in the photos.

THANK YOU so much for taking so much time to respond. I value the information I got from you & everyone on PS. I'd love to see the string you referenced about stones with unconventional beauty. While I treasure my stones that would be considered beautiful by the mainstream, I am drawn to stones that are unique and different and pretty perhaps only to me. :wink2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first few stones posted have major issues that will likely preclude them from being set as ring stones but might survive as pendant stones. Do note that these issues should have them heavily discounted into the tens to low hundred of dollars range. In addition, I suspect some picture manipulation so what you see will not be what you get.

The last set of pictures, whilst unique, have a certain appeal that I can see myself buying and setting. They have good cut, colour symmetry and no clarity issues.

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Chrono. Do you think the first 2 would not hold up even as rings even with infrequent delicate wear? (And, I am not considering paying their requested prices or close to it - you guys have convinced me that the prices are insane.) Again, thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone 1:
See the area circled in red? I'm not sure if it can survive the setting process as the inclusion runs across a good portion of the stone, exactly where the prong will go.

Stone 2:
This one can be set but I suspect a huge window (circled in red), so this area will be lifeless or dead. Instead of seeing colour, you will see your skin underneath.

_3645.jpg

_3646.jpg

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Chrono! I missed both of those issues in these stones. I was distracted by the uniqueness and colors. :rolleyes:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1360587626|3377395 said:
Stone 1:
See the area circled in red? I'm not sure if it can survive the setting process as the inclusion runs across a good portion of the stone, exactly where the prong will go.

Stone 2:
This one can be set but I suspect a huge window (circled in red), so this area will be lifeless or dead. Instead of seeing colour, you will see your skin underneath.

If you look at stone 1 and it's "issues", ask yourself how a professional gem vendor has the nerve to price this at $500 (I think that's what Chris said it was?). Can you imagine if you bought it and it split in half when you set it?

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
That would make me cry. Big. Real. Tears. ;(

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
corundum_conundrum|1360564941|3377301 said:

Rats! I heard back from West View gems and they heat their stones. I was really considering this one. I am sure I am in the minority, but I want 100% natural and no treatments. One of my favorite colored stones is an unheated bronze (brown with pink) tanzi. I get it back set on 2/15. It is SO PRETTY! I would be sick if anyone heated it. To each his/her own. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You think the still pic is bad? You should see the video. The thing is practically opaque. I want to say the price is $489?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of these I love, and some are just blech :knockout: to me. I love the saturated ones where they dramatically change color (like the Westview gem stone that I visit on a regular basis :bigsmile: ). I also love the first one as a novelty with its "I got it all going on" attitude. Love the needles, but agree you likely couldn't set it and its not worth 1/10th of what its selling for.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
vickygigi|1360593933|3377452 said:
corundum_conundrum|1360564941|3377301 said:

Rats! I heard back from West View gems and they heat their stones. I was really considering this one. I am sure I am in the minority, but I want 100% natural and no treatments. One of my favorite colored stones is an unheated bronze (brown with pink) tanzi. I get it back set on 2/15. It is SO PRETTY! I would be sick if anyone heated it. To each his/her own. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
Vickygig, not that I could speak for the gentleman from Westview Gems.... but I believe you will find he did not heat this stone. Though someone long before he had contact with the rough did. Citrine (the vast majority of the time) is converted from Amethyst using very mild heat. Estimates by trade organizations, and from my personal experience traveling to mining areas abroad, over 80% is/was previously Amethyst.

And, it is believed that it could convert without human intervention due to volcanic or magmatic actions.

And, I have a piece of Tanzanite rough (that I heated personally) that did not convert to blue/purple - much to my dismay.

In one sense I understand about being a purist when it comes to treatments. But, I try to be a realist and understand that not all is perfect in the gem world - as much as I would like it to be so. I wish you success in your search.

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
Roger - Thanks for your response. I asked Westview if the stone was heated and he confirmed that it was (he didn't say who heated it). I appreciated the prompt, honest response I received. While I find the stone beautiful, I am a self-confessed crazy person when it comes to stone treatments. I'd rather have stones without any intervention (other than cutting of course). I know most people are fine with heat. I just personally would prefer unheated/untreated stones. We all have our little quirks. That's one of mine. Thanks for your response! :twirl: :twirl:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
vickygigi|1360545385|3377044 said:
Yay! Ask and you shall receive. Here are 2 more beauties....

I am coveting that first one in your second post something bad!! Love blue/greens!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results