shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I the only one who LIKES color zoning?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know in most cases it''s supposed to be a flaw, but I''ve been noticing that I often enjoy stones with color zoning, all other things being equal. Sometimes it makes a stone look so much more interesting, and if the cost so happens to be lower....
31.gif

Am I the only one? Or do others share my guilty secret?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Yes, in some cases zoning can add to the depth of color and create interesting optical effects. Not often, but it happens.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Jessi,

Not at al!!!

I love them too; and I also have a few customers on my contact-first-list especially for mult-icolor-zoned sapphire. Mostly these are experienced collectors and with a knack for individual jewelry.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 3:20:46 AM
Author:DistinctionJewelry
I know in most cases it''s supposed to be a flaw, but I''ve been noticing that I often enjoy stones with color zoning, all other things being equal. Sometimes it makes a stone look so much more interesting, and if the cost so happens to be lower....
31.gif

Are you talking about multi-color zoning, such as in fluorite? Or are you talking about zones of color and no color which are typical of many blue sapphires? If it''s the former, I think it can be beautiful. If it''s the latter, it is rather distracting to the eye to see color come and go as you tilt the stone in various angles.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
certain stones sure, I''ve got an ammy thats white and purple that is really nifty.

-A

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My sapphire has some subtle zoning, and I knew that when I bought it. I actually like it, I thought it added a little interest to my stone. I thought I was the only one who liked it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 10:26:27 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
My sapphire has some subtle zoning, and I knew that when I bought it. I actually like it, I thought it added a little interest to my stone. I thought I was the only one who liked it!
For me, subtle zoning is not a big deal either. I just purchased a sapphire with subtle zoning, but I know for some people, they can''t stand any zoning. I personally don''t like strong zoning in sapphires.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am finding a lot more demand for it lately, it seems like if a stone has a much different look than normal there is a lot of people who like it. Plus color zoned stones can have some very interesting effects when the light is returned to your eye. Its your own personal preference!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 5:28:58 PM
Author: Jim Rentfrow
I am finding a lot more demand for it lately, it seems like if a stone has a much different look than normal there is a lot of people who like it. Plus color zoned stones can have some very interesting effects when the light is returned to your eye. Its your own personal preference!
The nice thing about zoning, if the stone faces up well, where the zoining isn''t so evident, then it really helps keept the price down on a gem.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/21/2010 9:54:57 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 3/21/2010 3:20:46 AM

Author:DistinctionJewelry

I know in most cases it's supposed to be a flaw, but I've been noticing that I often enjoy stones with color zoning, all other things being equal. Sometimes it makes a stone look so much more interesting, and if the cost so happens to be lower....
31.gif

Are you talking about multi-color zoning, such as in fluorite? Or are you talking about zones of color and no color which are typical of many blue sapphires? If it's the former, I think it can be beautiful. If it's the latter, it is rather distracting to the eye to see color come and go as you tilt the stone in various angles.

I'm actually talking about the latter
4.gif

Obviously I don't like all color zoned gems, but in many cases I find the optical effects beautiful, including in sapphire. A good example is kyanite, which is very, very prone to zoning - and I love the look. I think my favorite effect is where a lighter and darker shade of the same color appear in the same gem. Now, mind you, I don't like every color zoned gem - but I have seen many where I thought the effect was gorgeous.

I saw a sapphire mentioned in another thread that is precision cut with color zoning - wow! I so don't have the budget for it, but if I did I would so buy that stone. White in the center with sapphire blue on either end, and its dazzling. The fact that you don't see them everywhere, that it's somewhat unusual, helps their appeal to me as well.

I'm not saying that if you made me choose between a color zoned stone and an even colored one, I'd pick the zoned one all the time, mind you. But I do find them pleasing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically color zoning that you prefer decreases the value of a stone, but just because you like something that is not what the trade deems to be desirable, doesn''t mean you shouldn''t like it. That stone from Gary is very lovely, and after seeing that, I can understand why people would enjoy zoning in a gem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results