shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I paying too much for an emerald cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stkit

Rough_Rock
Anyone''s help would be greatly apprecaited. I am about to purchase a diamond and want to know if I am paying a fair price.

The specs of the diamond are as follows:

Price: $9,600
Emerald Cut
1.50 Cts
8.27x5.26x3.60
Depth: 68.4%
Table: 68%
Girdle: Thin
Finish: good
Symmetry: good
Clarity: VS1
Color: D
Fluoresence: None

The diamond was also graded by the Gemological Appraisal Laboratory of America (GAL?) on 3/28/06. Should I be suspicious of their report or are they a trusted appraiser? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Is there a Cut Adviser on Pricescope or another website for an emerald cut diamond?

Thanks,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen it in person or got some pictures?
If not dont buy until ya do.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
similar diamonds with GIA certs are listing for $11800 online so Id want to know whats wrong with it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t trust the color/clarity stats either.

I personally would never consider purchasing an important diamond that didn''t come with a report from GIA or AGS. Then I''d know for sure exactly what I was paying for...

JMO..
widget

stkit

Rough_Rock
I have not seen the diamond in person but have a money back guarantee. When it arrives I was planning on taking it to an appraiser for a second opinion. Is GAL a trusted source though or does their grading to be a little lenient?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
if it would get d-vs2 from gia and sell for $11800 and the cost of the cert is under $200 why is it being sold for $9500?
The answer, color and or clarity is off or its badly cut.
No on leaves $2000 on the table on a 10k purchase.

stkit

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I see your point. I hate how good deals are always too good to be true.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2006 4:13:49 PM
Author: stkit
Thanks, I see your point. I hate how good deals are always too good to be true.
And that''s usually the point. Deals that seem too good to be true are almost always........too good to be true. I haven''t ever heard of GAL. That doesn''t mean GAL''s not valid, but I think you''ll find that just about every one of us PS''ers believe AGS or GIA is the only grading lab worth their paper.

Good luck, but I''d pass unless you''re getting this from a really reputable vendor, you''ve seen it and you feel it''s the right stone for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results