shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I out of my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 5:24:24 PM
Author: Gypsy
Nothing else their have two Legal departments, in CA and in NY. CA has no opennings. But I told her that I'm a 'gypsy' and really would be pretty flexible on location.

It's a really good company. I think they'll come up on the salary. I already pay a ridiculous amount of money for rent and commuting. So... we'll see what Friday brings. Thanks so much for your support Treefrog. I'm really happy you've found PS, and hope you will stay.
Did you really say that? That's funny!

Hopefully, they'll come up on it. One less piece to worry about. Hoping it works out for you.
(Late edit after seeing your reply: Or you could stay.)

I'm happy I found PS too! There is just so much info here and so many great people. I'm not leaving PS. I just saw no sense in continuing any dialogue there.

You know Gypsy... one good thing about the East coast... I'm on the East Coast and I am home from work now and people on the West coast are still at work!
9.gif

Treefrog

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROFLMAO Treefrog. Yes, I really did say that to her, because it's true. That's why it's my nickname on here.

I'm totally in favor of the east coast. Just not Manhattan, unless it's for 20-30% more than I'm making now. It's really freaking expensive out there. And it's a big move.

Plus there is no working from home. Which is a pretty big negative for me (but could be overcome with the right salary).

And if I move out there, I'm stuck out there with no guarantee they'll keep me if economy takes another dip. Out here I'm more marketable.

Plus my husband just started a new job out here, and making a similar salary just wouldn't be enough to keep us afloat through another job search of his.

I need to take some FAR courses. Then I could go to DC, which is where I really want to go.

Glad to hear you will stick around. I've bailed on threads too, sometimes it's not worth the bruises on your forehead.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I hope you''ll reconsider (selfish reasoning, of course
3.gif
) and at least wait to hear what they have to say on Friday.

Manhattan is expensive but rent prices have been dropping. We just renegotiated ours in our favour and have friends who have done the same.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Makes total sense to me. Unless they come through with a very good offer, it may not actually be solving many of your problems... still a bit of a commute, no working from home, and still a high cost of living. The reference above to taxes in Westchester County (granted there are other places to live in the area) is crazy. I''m not in a cheap area but I pay a fraction of that in taxes. I''ve been through there Westchester a few times... definitely a pretty area.

I''m sure your husband doesn''t want to be job searching again anyway. Who does? I had to go through it about 10 months ago. Not fun.

DC... traffic can be a pain but the Metro is convenient. Depends on where you''re going and where you''re coming from. FAR... I know of 2 options. Are you talking acquisition or aviation?

No bruises here. There is only one place that elevator was going.

Treefrog

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 6:23:24 PM
Author: Gypsy
ROFLMAO Treefrog. Yes, I really did say that to her, because it''s true. That''s why it''s my nickname on here.

I''m totally in favor of the east coast. Just not Manhattan, unless it''s for 20-30% more than I''m making now. It''s really freaking expensive out there. And it''s a big move.

Plus there is no working from home. Which is a pretty big negative for me (but could be overcome with the right salary).

And if I move out there, I''m stuck out there with no guarantee they''ll keep me if economy takes another dip. Out here I''m more marketable.

Plus my husband just started a new job out here, and making a similar salary just wouldn''t be enough to keep us afloat through another job search of his.

I need to take some FAR courses. Then I could go to DC, which is where I really want to go.

Glad to hear you will stick around. I''ve bailed on threads too, sometimes it''s not worth the bruises on your forehead.

Aww Gyps, I would totally love for you to move to NY. But having read your pros and cons, and with the added factor of work-life balance, I don''t think you''re crazy at all. And I don''t think you should switch jobs and move to NY if it won''t make you happy - any smaller benefits of switching may be outweighed by unhappiness about your work and living situation.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi CD honey, I will be out to visit there eventually as DH's family is the area, so we will have to plan a GTG then, regardless of where I end up (or where I stay).

Treefrog... yup, and it was time to get off the ride. Right there with ya. I was actually thinking DC metro as in Maryland and Virgina. We would love to move back. It's just our favorite place and it really just feels like HOME to us. FAR... government contracting rules and regulations. There are (I've heard) some local certificates for this. I'm actually wondering if I can find an online certification program for it, so I can do it at my convenience. That would be ideal. And combined with my background would make me extremely marketable in the DC metro area.

BEG... Thank you honey. I drafted a very nice (and yes long) letter explaning my decision not to pursue the position any further, and asked them to keep me in mind for other positions of a simlar nature, but in a different geographical area (or in the same one but with a higher salary so I could actually afford to live somewhere other than Freehold, which while lovely is a miserable and expensive commute). Haven't sent it yet, as I need to proof it with new eyes tomorrow AM. But will probably send first thing tomorrow. The recruiter was a great lady.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, that should be very marketable in the DC area. I wasn''t sure if you were talking Federal Avaition Regulations or Federal Acquisition Regulation. Government and acronyms...UGH! That''s pretty significant stuff so I would think you could find something online for it.

I''m sure neatfreak and many others are doing this right now:
36.gif

Treefrog

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL at neatfreak and others.

I really am looking for the right position, not just ''a'' position. And it''s a total package deal. SO while I am extremely flattered at the offer to move onto the next step. It wasn''t the right path for me.

I''m sure it may be for someone else.

Still I am very happy I spoke to the recruiter because I can honestly say I explored it, and have no regrets.

I sent the letter this morning. (Good thing I proofed it though).

If we move out of CA, I want it to be to a place with a significantly lower cost of living. And I would take a pay cut for that, as my salary is a reflection of the cost of living out here, and I realize that.

As for FAR, Aquisition. And you are right, there must be something... and if that''s my ''dream'' location and if I can find an online certification... I would be remiss in not following it. Don''t know why that didn''t occur to me before now!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results