carat
color
clarity

Am I missing something? Help with a piece of art

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1366071595|3427610 said:
I really, really liked the first print. It's something I would spend a great deal of time looking into, trying to find "things" {sorry, my bff was the art major in college, not me, I just respond to colors}. And when I really, REALLY like something, I would just swallow the $90. and make it part of the cost of the piece in my mind.

Amber, I'm so glad you liked it. And I am the same way...I know nothing about art, but when I like something, I like it, I respond to it...it makes me want to look at it. And these are the perfect colors for my living room.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1366082592|3427767 said:
I poked around the website: there are several things i'd make an exception for.
good luck and I hope it looks as great on your wall as it does online!

Thanks MZ!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
heraanderson|1366100615|3427869 said:
Someone on another forum was looking for a coupon code and apparently there is one in the April issue of House Beautiful. I have a zillion other magazines (including the March edition that did have an expired coupon) but I don't have April :(

Hera the fact that you even looked, thank you!

I wanted to respond to everyone in order, so here it goes:

I did it! :appl: I placed the order last night. A friend of mine had a coupon and she let me use it! :appl: So I saved 10%. It doesn't ship until May...I can't wait to see it.

Thank you all so much for your advice and knowledge - it made it a lot more fun (and secure) to pull the trigger.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl:

Looking forward to hearing all about it!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I thought about this thread last night and decided to post 2 artists that i have purchased from. One is a landscape painter from Vermont and the other is an American Impressionist from upstate N.Y.. These are not modern painters. The reason that I'm posting is that the cost of these is about what you're paying, the shipping & handling is low and you can return them. None are framed.

It is nice to have an original piece of art. These are both older men who have painted for a living. The second one you can make an offer on. It may be nothing that you are interested in, but they do good work in their genre.

www.lynncharlesfoster.com

On ebay or yahoo search. Hall Groat Sr. --Pres. Carter has one, Henry Kissinger has one and other famous people. He is 78, and while you may not like his style, I have gotton a few nice ones at great low cost.

Take a look. Art is fun and beautiful.

Annette

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK so I got the piece...

I like the piece itself. It's very close to what it looks like on the Internet.

But...it's not creating the effect I was looking for... ;( I thought the browns and the oranges would liven up my living room, but they're not...it just kind of sits there :((

I am now thinking that better would be cream colors, with touches of other colors...like this http://www.crateandbarrel.com/excelsior-print/s244450

The thing is, I don't know what to do...I haven't even told DH how I feel...I spent $90 on the shipping...and part of me thinks maybe I'm being too picky? But I'm just not feeling it...

Should I just tell DH and go from there? I was thinking maybe taking a drive to Crate & Barrel and looking at the piece - if we like it, bring it home, and compare how the colors look...then I could see first hand if I'm on to something...

What would you do?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry the piece came and you aren't loving the effect. Yes, why not take a trip to C&B and look at the other one in person. Plus, who knows what else they might have. Are you anywhere near a Z Gallerie? They tend to have a lot of artwork too if you want other ideas.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you pull colors from the piece and add other objects to the room so that they speak to the painting?

Think pillows, throw blankets, books, little ceramics, etc... Don't go overboard. The gold tones are really bold. If done right, you probably only need a couple of pieces if the rest of the room is relatively neutral.

I can imagine the room to be very neutral with this painting, and very small pops of the gold in unexpected places. Maybe even a throw would be too much.

See how Ballard is doing this here?
http://www.ballarddesigns.com/canyon-rim-giclee/209433?SourceCode=BDSBT1

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1368905185|3449642 said:
I'm so sorry the piece came and you aren't loving the effect. Yes, why not take a trip to C&B and look at the other one in person. Plus, who knows what else they might have. Are you anywhere near a Z Gallerie? They tend to have a lot of artwork too if you want other ideas.

Dee - I do have a Z Gallery near me - I don't know why I didn't remember them or think of them as a place for art, you're right, they do have tons of art usually. I'll check them out.

I think I am going to keep the piece but use it somewhere else in the house. It really is beautiful, just not where I was visualizing it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1368912436|3449684 said:
Can you pull colors from the piece and add other objects to the room so that they speak to the painting?

Think pillows, throw blankets, books, little ceramics, etc... Don't go overboard. The gold tones are really bold. If done right, you probably only need a couple of pieces if the rest of the room is relatively neutral.

I can imagine the room to be very neutral with this painting, and very small pops of the gold in unexpected places. Maybe even a throw would be too much.

See how Ballard is doing this here?
http://www.ballarddesigns.com/canyon-rim-giclee/209433?SourceCode=BDSBT1

Yes, I was thinking that too...but the piece is so large it is hard to "ignore" that it doesn't have the effect I wanted...I really like it but like I was just saying to Dee I think I'm going to use it somewhere else. It's a little too warm/not sexy for the master bedroom, but perhaps in the office, or maybe even the foyer wall.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
for the record: I buy art work with no idea where i'm going to put it. I buy because I like it. sometimes it might even take a year or two or three before I find the perfect spot for it. but eventually that spot reveals itself.......and I've never regretted a piece I've purchased.

i'm sorry you're not as smitten with it as you were on the internet. I like the idea of using it somewhere else and then using accent colors to 'bring it out'. another idea: subtle lighting on it might make a difference.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Sorry it doesn't work for you. You can do what was suggested by bringing in some colors from the painting around the room. If the room is a little boring, sometimes you need to bring in some complementary (the color opposite to a color on a color wheel) colors to your room palette.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results