shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting ripped off? anybody with an eye for emeralds?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Am I getting ripped off? anybody with an eye for emerald

Michael_E|1301066378|2880009 said:
Chrono|1301054891|2879866 said:
I've never seen a green tourmaline which had such a gray overtone.

I have.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tourmaline_lover|1301067340|2880019 said:
Michael_E|1301066378|2880009 said:
Chrono|1301054891|2879866 said:
I've never seen a green tourmaline which had such a gray overtone.

I have.

Ditto :(sad

peekrood

Rough_Rock

So the tourmaline ring is still my front runner. I just think it looks the best of the one's I've seen.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/18656815/283-carat-aaa-green-cushion-cut?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=green+tourmaline+ring&ga_page=8&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

My only reservation is that apparently Tourmaline is pretty fragile and chips easily. If i could find this ring with a similar looking but more durable gem for a decent price, I'd be sold.

So I've tried to find a similar ring with a green sapphire or tsavorite as an alternative. Below I found a green sapphire ring that’s real close to the tourmaline one in design. I don’t like the stone color quite as much. Also it's from amazon (I'd rather buy from an Etsy dealer) but its pretty close to the tourmaline ring. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Sapphire-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement/dp/B001AOMAPI

thanks again to everyone whose helping to guide me through this!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mastergoldcraft (stephen) is creating my setting for my spess and has been very responsive throughout the process. I'll see something around the first part of April.

Also, he dosen't set any of the stones prior to the ring being sold. Its just the knowledge that thats the stone you get with that ring, or of course he can use your stone for that setting or find one that suits you. Once its sold and you have changes, he does those first, then sets the stone for you.

-A

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

peekrood|1301080568|2880223 said:
My only reservation is that apparently Tourmaline is pretty fragile and chips easily. If i could find this ring with a similar looking but more durable gem for a decent price, I'd be sold.

Tourmaline is O.K. if the edges aren't as exposed as they are in the ring you've shown. If you're trying to find a different stone, I'd suggest finding an appropriate stone first and then find a setting to suit. The settings that you're showing are all commercial settings and are available from any jeweler. The are easy to modify to fit the stone and relatively inexpensive, (compared to having a custom piece made). I'd get the stone first and make sure that you like it.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock

There's a beautiful princess/cushion tsav on gemfix for 667$ (I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but it's quite beautiful and I suppose you could have a setting made of argentium silver if you want to keep the cost of the setting down).

http://www.gemfix.com/garnet_tsavorite.html

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm just laughing at that first line where you say your girlfriend is not into expensive stuff so you are getting her an emerald ring for an engagement ring.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

part gypsy|1301106155|2880518 said:
I'm just laughing at that first line where you say your girlfriend is not into expensive stuff so you are getting her an emerald ring for an engagement ring.

Awwwww....... Give the poor guy a break....

peekrood

Rough_Rock

lol, yeah. this is why I'm so appreciative for the help that you fine people have given me.

I'm leaning more and more towards the sapphire one. The more I look at it, the more I like it. I'll be sure to let you all know when I've decided for sure and bought a ring.

I still welcome any thoughts on the sapphire or tourmaline rings from a few posts ago.

Thanks again! Really, I was totally lost before you all helped me out.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

OK so here would be my choice.....
I know that many people here have had jewelry made by this trusted Etsy vendor
including myself. :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:
This is a beautiful Emerald ring in 18 ct Rose-Gold bezel for way under your budget.
The stone is 5mm, and the ring size is 6. (complimentary resizing)
Then, I would ask Sally if she could come up with a beautiful band to go with....
I bet she could :))
Heart of Water Jewels on Etsy

il_570xN.202078341.jpg

il_570xN.202078338.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

peekrood|1301080568|2880223 said:
So the tourmaline ring is still my front runner. I just think it looks the best of the one's I've seen.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/18656815/283-carat-aaa-green-cushion-cut?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=green+tourmaline+ring&ga_page=8&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

So I've tried to find a similar ring with a green sapphire or tsavorite as an alternative. Below I found a green sapphire ring that’s real close to the tourmaline one in design. I don’t like the stone color quite as much. Also it's from amazon (I'd rather buy from an Etsy dealer) but its pretty close to the tourmaline ring. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Sapphire-Diamond-Solitaire-Engagement/dp/B001AOMAPI

thanks again to everyone whose helping to guide me through this!
I think that, ultimately, you AND your girlfriend will be disappointed with the "green" of the sapphire ring. It looks olive-y on my laptop and gray-green on my cell phone, not to mention windowed.

Honestly (and I swear I'm not trying to be b!tchy when I say this--which of course means I'll probably come off that way) but you seem to want to take the easiest way out on this route with a "What's available RIGHT NOW that is already put together and kind of green?" I mean, to me, buying off of amazon when you have a slew of people willing to help you put together a gorgeous ring with a stunning stone that will hardly be rivaled by any diamonds out there and you are leaning towards a gray green sapphire with a window from AMAZON?!

Why even ask us?

Keep in mind that my favorite color is blue. I would have been POed if my husband had proposed with a sorry excuse for a blue stone. The only thing that sapphire has going for it is durability and the fact that you kind of like the setting. Oh yeah, and it's like half the total budget.

Go look at SteveNeedsARing's threads.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

The tsav ring that Freke linked to is stunning and I bet your girlfriend would be floored by it. The rose gold bezeled emerald ring is gorgeous as well. Either of those would be IMO a better choice than the amazon ring. The quality in either of the other two rings is going to far surpass the Amazon ring-like out of the ballpark, both in workmanship and in the stones themselves.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

FrekeChild|1301195019|2880942 said:
I think that, ultimately, you AND your girlfriend will be disappointed with the "green" of the sapphire ring. It looks olive-y on my laptop and gray-green on my cell phone, not to mention windowed.

Honestly (and I swear I'm not trying to be b!tchy when I say this--which of course means I'll probably come off that way) but you seem to want to take the easiest way out on this route with a "What's available RIGHT NOW that is already put together and kind of green?" I mean, to me, buying off of amazon when you have a slew of people willing to help you put together a gorgeous ring with a stunning stone that will hardly be rivaled by any diamonds out there and you are leaning towards a gray green sapphire with a window from AMAZON?!

Why even ask us?

Keep in mind that my favorite color is blue. I would have been POed if my husband had proposed with a sorry excuse for a blue stone. The only thing that sapphire has going for it is durability and the fact that you kind of like the setting. Oh yeah, and it's like half the total budget.

Go look at SteveNeedsARing's threads.
I think, for most rookies, it's hard to conceptually separate stones and settings. I went through this recently with a friend who, when I showed her some different cuts, just could literally not imagine a different shape center stone in a particular setting.

peekrood

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I proposed last weekend and she said yes! We are engaged and very happy. As a plus, she loves the ring and people we've shown it to have been pretty impressed.

I ended up going with the Amazon ring but when it showed up the sapphire was not as green as hoped (as some of you had predicted). So I found a green/blue sapphire on Ebay and took it to a jeweler to get set. The jeweler had an even prettier green sapphire which I bought and had put in the ring. He also took a look at the ring and confirmed the quality of the stones.

So in the end I have two spare sapphires and spent about $800 (which allowed me to spend a little money on some theater tickets she wanted and a nice dinner at the restaurant where we had our first date). We are deliriously happy and I cannot thank you all enough. Thank you so much for you help. I never would have been able to do this with out your counsel.

God bless,
one happy groom

Ring.jpg

peekrood

Rough_Rock

also, for those of you wondering why I went with sapphire, I had two main reasons:

1. durability. From my research I discovered that sapphire is more durable than tourmaline or tsavorite.

2. name recognition. This may seem like a stupid criteria to you gemphiles but I knew that people would ask her what the stone was. I wanted her to be able to say something that people had heard of rather than saying "Tsavorite. It really is a precious stone, I promise."

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations! That is a pretty stone, and it looks great in that setting. I'm glad your jeweler came through for you.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Congratulations and all the happiness in the world !!!
So good to hear :appl: :appl: :appl:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Very gorgeous ring, congrats!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations...it turned out lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results